Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Questions for gigging Surf Musicians - Audience reactions

Page 1 of 1

After being on these forums for several years now, it dawned on me today that I don't really see much info about what audience feedback is/has been for any of you that are playing real live Surf music gigs out there.

Does anyone out there who performs on a regular (or even semi-regular) basis have any audience feedback that you care to share with us all?

I'm asking this because there's this supposed idea that "rock is dead" out there currently, and considering instrumental Surf music is a very awesome (yet sadly small) portion of the general rock genre, I am very curious what kind of reactions you all are receiving from your audiences.

I don't play out these days, and here in the Midwest there is virtually no surf music being played live anywhere (or if I've just missed it all, it's not well advertised for sure). So, I have no shows to attend to see how people react, or otherwise have anything to be able to judge what people would even think of live surf music these days.

Do people come up to you and say "Yeah man, it's nice to hear this kind of music again!". Do they even react at all? Do kids just look at you like you're nuts for playing that "old people's music"? Are you relegated to just being "background noise" for an event?

Just trying to get a feel for what you are experiencing out there.

Thanks to all who respond.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 19:57:44

There’s not a huge surf specific fan base here (Boise, ID) but I would say more times than not we have people come up after the show and say they liked the sound or a specific number, which is really great! One time I spoke with a gentleman who had come to 2 or 3 of our shows and had figured that he was a previous surf fan, but come to find out he really didn’t know much about the genre, he just liked what he heard and kept coming back.

We’ve played a handful of shows to a youthful audience, which have quickly become my favorite! The energy of the crowd is usually really great and really energizes our playing. Below is a short clip from one of these shows - it starts at the breakdown so be sure to watch to the end. (I apologize for the sound quality)

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 21:11:06

Where in the Midwest are you?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

We get great crowd reaction because it rocks and it is different. Young, old, white, African American, Latino, men, women. Everyone seems to love it. It's not boring and it's fresh!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 05:34:48

This question hurts since I am so close again! Blood Reef is a month or less from being ready; it’s been way too long!

I too have enjoyed incredible audience response in the past. I have felt bad at just about every single show when I saw how much the joint cleared out after our set! I have also been straight up thanked for playing surf, and everyone comments positively on the guitar tone. One girl thanked me specifically for bringing this music to New Orleans, and told me some of the darker numbers felt like the sound track for her soul! Pretty humbling.

My favorite shows have been non-all-instro shows when fans who were clearly there for the other bands, come over all excited from hearing this new sound. I kind of live for that.

Daniel Deathtide

My comment regarding this region upon moving here (and before joining any local bands) was 'they have one of everything.'

Now...that can be taken any number of ways. Is there variety? Yes. Are the area's residents a bit blase' about it? Yes again. Do they support the local music scene? Yes, barely. There are enough locals and enough transplants arriving from previous cities that had decent-to-good music scenes that combining these two minorities makes for a larger percentage...but still a minority.

That said, the music scenesters are fair and (fairly) open-minded. Like food and craft beer, they are willing to try anything once and a certain segment will display enthusiasm during the gig and loyalty in taking an interest in future gigs and showing up.

But local music suffers many of the same modern-day hazards as local food and local shopping/retail: there are almost too many options and too many ways to entertain oneself and to socialize without ever leaving the house. Without diverting into too much of another rant against millennials, those older than millennials are equally guilty by taking up (belatedly) the tools of sloth and inertia ie mobile devices, laptops, streaming TV, etc. One bright note is that the generation(s) following the millennials seem to be aware of the pitfalls of living in their personal technological bubbles and are attempting to (gasp) have face-to-face interaction and to physically get out more.

One unavoidable gripe is that numerous bands think that mostly empty venues are a license for dadaism. Music is creativity and vice versa but some of these bands are trying a little too hard to be 'primitive.' Call it the White Stripes/Black Keys phenomenon.

Which takes us back to music and performing. By now everything is so hyper-documented via Google, review apps like Yelp, etc. that there are few surprises, pleasant or otherwise. Whereas musicians and audiences alike used to resent and resist pigeonholing, the current trend is clearly one of restaurant-style order-pay-eat. By this I mean that the venue's marquee, the band's posters and the social media accounts usually include one or two (at most) descriptors: blues, zydeco, Americana, etc. It’s a classic supply-and-demand scenario although the onus is on the bands and venues to offer the supply before any demand is created. Now, for the band that describes itself as ‘Revolver-era Beatles combined with Joy Division and other influences’ this can be tricky, even self-defeating. Simply put, audiences are lazy and their laziness is reinforced by catering to them ie narrowcasting. Once upon a time, programmers at iHeart applauded themselves for creating terrestrial radio stations in which one station had, at most, 40 songs in its entire list and even fewer than that in some cases. 24/7/365 of heavy rotation. The question then and now: ‘Why not make a CD or iPod playlist with those 40 songs? Nothing will be missed except long commercial breaks, canned DJ patter and ultra-compressed noisy station IDs.’ In a bit of cosmic justice, iHeart got its comeuppance in more ways than one for this suicidal – and creatively vacant – approach.

Which takes us back to music and performing – again. After painting that bleak and/or cynical picture, what’s the good news? Well, there are several rays of light especially where surf is concerned.

1) It’s got a good beat and you can dance to it. Assuming you know how to dance. ‘Dancing’ to hip-hop and hip-hop-inflected music (read: anything relying on drum loops) is a stultifying combination of pole-dancer grinding and the raising of arms and pointing of fingers (at what or whom is unclear) while the ‘dancer’ essentially bounces in place with feet rarely moving. The same can be said for country, particularly the bro-country that is a blight upon the musical landscape. We’ve all seen the videos or have attended the tailgate parties: girls in cowboy boots and shorts standing with feet together. One hand is raised while the other holds a beverage and the ‘dancer’ does the feet-together knee-bends described above. These people don’t need a dance floor when a dance phone booth would suffice. But here comes surf with its signature snare beat, typical fast tempos (except for obvious ballads) and energy created and conveyed by players who embrace and foster a musical gestalt theory ie an airtight band is greater than the sum of its parts and, optimally, the audience responds to the whole. Their particular like/dislikes where pop vocal-oriented music is concerned often dissolve at a surf gig. They may listen to Adele. They may listen to Lady Antebellum. But they can and do enjoy music with a driving beat as well as stringed instruments that still often create percussive, rhythmic sounds. It’s rare to see any audience member who isn’t at least shimmying or nodding along.

2) Surf doesn’t fear the threat of classification described above or being sold as a commodity. Hell, we do that ourselves! We can quibble over subgenres but surf is never sold as anything but surf to the general public. Masks, costumes, lighting, animated backdrops, etc. are certainly part of the presentation (a debate for another time) but all parties on all sides are aware of what’s on offer. Contrast this with maddening terms like ‘post-rock’ which is meant to be descriptive but is actually anything but. As best we can tell ‘post-rock’ is an excuse for marginally-talented chin-stroking anoraks to overload a board with pedals and engage them all at once while the drummer (if there is one) avoids anything resembling a tempo or a beat. To hell with that. Surf is surf and everyone knows it. Thankfully.

3) As is occasionally discussed here, surf (and a few other genres) are currently scratching an itch people didn’t even know they had. The proliferation of autotune, quantizing, chorus, compression, stereo expansion, ‘brickwalling,’ etc. has worn out the collective ears of the listening public. Music often sounds like a video game soundtrack: twee and repetitive. Thrown in popette ‘singers’ whose voices are processed mercilessly until they sound like they’re coming from a speakerphone and you have a recipe for aural exhaustion. Digital was once hailed (by some) as the superior hi-fi successor to analog…but older generations remember the warm, smooth sound of songs recorded to tape and younger generations are, admittedly, jumping on a bit of a hipster bandwagon by buying vinyl and turntables. But, in the words of Apollo Creed, whatever gets them in the ring and helps them discover the joys of grooves and vibrations rather than 1s and 0s. (Live) surf, for the most part, has always relied on the even-order harmonics produced by tube amps and traditional drums. People’s enjoyment of surf is often (partially) occurring at a level of hearing and perception they aren’t even aware of. They just know they like it and it’s very different to what they’re listening to in their car, on their headphones, etc.

3) To finally arrive at the point, surf gets a better-than-average reaction from laymen and often a wildly enthusiastic reaction (depending, again, on the band’s delivery) from laymen and surf fans alike. It’s longstanding and familiar but it’s new (to many). It’s unambiguous. It’s energetic. It’s expressive. It’s usually strictly instrumental which means the focus is not on a vocalist and/or lyrics. In sum, it gets a good reaction for what it is as well as what it isn’t.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 09:37:22

Midwest surf show this weekend...

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/31598/

The Tentakills ( https://www.facebook.com/thetentakills/ ) have had a strong response from fans of punk rock here in our local area. The first gig we played out on was with Daikaiju, of course with us taking the floor first. We played 35 minutes through amps only, no pa system, nothing mic'ed, just everything cranked to match the drum volume. We had a guest trumpet player come in on two songs who had to blow HARD to get up over the rest of the band. It was loud and raw. We did like 10 songs (4 originals), had a few fuck ups, had to yell out the names of the songs and what our name was... and the crowd wouldn't let us off the stage when we were done. MORE MORE MORE from them, COME ON PLAY ANOTHER, GIVE US ONE MORE, ONE MORE SONG, etc... it was the best thing I've ever felt. It really cemented the thought that playing surf music with my friends and taking it out to a stage was a good idea. They really liked it, came up to us and thanked us for playing, bought a few drinks, helped move gear. It was great. Totally appreciated our efforts.

A similar experience was had at our next gig (an hour from home), it was said that the music was "refreshing" when compared to the usual punk/metal shows that the built-in crowd of this venue was used to. The crowd showed love by buying quite a bit of merch and we gained a ton of FB likes/followers after that gig.

We haven't played to what I would call a 'more refined crowd' yet, so we will see what they do if/when that ever happens.

I think the venue, the crowd that frequents said venue, and your promotion efforts all contribute to the mixture of people in the audience who give their response to your playing. Crowds I've played for definitely aren't shy about telling you how you sound. I always welcome that feedback, even if it's more of a comment on house sound vs the performance from the band. Every bit of feedback helps.

tl;dr - the audience likes it

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 09:38:30

We have some small crowds of dancing chicks and dudes usually
Some nice feedback every time)
Check the video and you’ll see

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Great feedback! So glad to hear you are all receiving positive feedback form your audiences. The live clips were great also, nice job guys.

Brian - I am in the Chicago area.

ChillyBilly - are you working on your PHD? Big Grin That has to be one of the most intense responses I've ever read, and I loved it.

TaiFighter - thanks for the suggested show. I knew I was missing them and I need to pay better attention to that forum. If I didn't already have plans for this weekend I would be heading out to see that.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 17:44:44

There are a few more coming up that I'll post, if you're interested.

Taifighter wrote:

There are a few more coming up that I'll post, if you're interested.

Yes please, especially if in Illinois. Thanks!

First off; ChillyBilly, I love your writing style.

The responses we’ve gotten are positive, but not necessarily Surf specific. Last year, we played the County Fair and ended up exiled to the “Corner Stage” which doesn’t draw a great audience at the best of times. It’s in an area a lot of people walk through, so most of the audience are passers by, whom linger for just a few minutes. It was discouraging, but at the end of the show, a fireman stationed nearby came up and thanked us, stating that he could at least understand us and hear us clearly. It may not have been appreciation of Surf, for the sake of the genre, but he enjoyed the cleanish sound.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

We have finally started playing live shows again and surprisingly the response has been amazing. We tend to play with bands that have vocals and we stand out being the only non-singing act. We are unique in that we are a two-piece, so we stand out that way as well. It has been a pleasure to have people of all ages, ethnicities come up to us after our set and talk about the music or a particular song. What's even better is we are playing all originals and having this reaction. There is some familiarity there for folks. Looking forward to a fruitful 2019.

The Me Gustas
https://themegustas.com

Usually the crowds are a good size and very enthusiastic. There have been some small crowds during our 24 years, but that’s a given. If memory serves me, we have never played a show where there wasn’t any dancing (even if it was just one person). No complaints here.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Here's how it is for a good gig:
First few songs, every one is waiting for someone to sing. Eventually one song hits the mark and some women will dance. More women will join them. They are dancing and having a good time while men stare and a couple of older guys stand at the back stoking their beards and wondering what strings we're using.

We build up to the crescendo of the end and play our last song. The women instantly evaporate and you suddenly find yourself trying to pack up while in a conversation with a bearded guy about what strings you use.

Actually, the response is usually very positive when we finish. There are usually people smiling, which I take as a good sign.

The surf beat rhythm is an old one that is not very common these days, and I don't think many people know how to dance to it any more.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Hahaha yeah!! That’s brilliant.

Blood Reef’s first show is a “sneak preview” in two weeks, and we’re just doing a 1/2 set (about ten - 15 mins) following a 2.5 hour cover band set. It’s at a friend’s crawfish boil and there will be around 150 people. Lotsa families with kids. Only bringing two Showmans, heh heh. Hopefully we’ll get a good response!

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019 08:27:39

What I see as a audience member is most clubs have the same people show up no matter what group or music is there. The only time I see new people show up is usually when the band members family, friends or coworkers show up - but they usually leave when the band goes off stage during multiband shows and new people come in that know the next band.

Page 1 of 1