Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Let's all just say thanks to the Hawaiians!

Page 1 of 1

So among many other major contributions to music in general(and to surf music as well in songs such as "Taboo", "Moon of Manakoora", etc), I just found out via this article that a very amazing Hawaiian Musician was "instrumental" in the design of the Fender Stratocaster and potentially the Twin amplifier as well. He also designed one of the very first Pedal Steel guitars. Here's to Freddy Tavares!

http://hoolohehou.com/freddie-tavares/

Also attached is one of my favorite albums of his that he plays (lap)steel guitar on. What a guy!

Jeremy

Awesome song! Growing up in Hawaii was cool for that, you can always turn on the radio and hear Hawaiian music. Usually modern but sometimes that kind of old school awesomeness!

My dad played slack key guitar and I’m bummed I never had him show me basics of that. Seems fairly straighforward but the technique seems involved.

This dude is badass! Sol Ho’opi’i (pronounced Ho-oh-pee-ee)!

Daniel Deathtide

Yes Sol was THE MAN! Here's another song that made it into the Surf realm. Jerry Byrd had a charting single with this instrumental song in 1960. Later recorded by the Atlantics! Here's the TV show original which most likely has Freddy Tavares playing Steel.

Jeremy

aqualadius wrote:

Yes Sol was THE MAN! Here's another song that made it into the Surf realm. Jerry Byrd had a charting single with this instrumental song in 1960. Later recorded by the Atlantics! Here's the TV show original which most likely has Freddy Tavares playing Steel.

Wow awesome!!

Check out Sol’s playing at about 1 minute. I daresay even DD has nothing on him!

Daniel Deathtide

It’s all great material. I’ve heard that Hawaiian music had a strong effect upon the development of American Country music. The first album sounds like something my parents might have listened to in a quiet Saturday afternoon. Sol Ho’opi’i is amazing, almost a Chet Atkins equivalent on the lap steel. The last cut is my favorite, pretty much full-blown exotica.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I have been listening to a new podcast series from the Fretboard Journal called The Truth About Vintage Amps with a long time repair guy by the name of Skip Simmons. He seems like a pretty neat guy with a mindset that appeals to me. I’m no expert, but he seems to know quite a bit and has no hesitation to say where his knowledge ends. Anyhow, he made a passing comment in one of the episodes (3 or 4... I don’t recall which) to suggest those iconic schematics and layout drawings we all know and love we’re done by Freddie.

I know there is a lot of debate about who actually did what in Fender’s history, so take it for what it is - a remark by someone jazzed by vintage 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and 70’s ams with a clear bias for Fender amps. Any how, cool enough notion to contribute to the conversation.

photo

If you care to check the podcast out:
On iTunes or at Fretboard Journal directly

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Fady wrote:

. . . he made a passing comment in one of the episodes (3 or 4... I don’t recall which) to suggest those iconic schematics and layout drawings we all know and love we’re done by Freddie.

photo

That wouldn’t surprise me. I think I have heard that before. Whomever did the drawings, they were artistically done with a flair for style that one doesn’t always see in technical documentation.

Not sure how this thread went from Hawaiian music to Skip but I'll comment on both. Confused When growing up my parents took an interest in Hawaiian music. The links reminded me of the hifi record player with a collection of Hawaiian music in the cabinet that it sat on. Perhaps one of them was the same as the links above?
As for Skip I will say he is very nice as well as patient. He took the time to speak with me at length (I think at least on four different occasions) walking me through on what I needed to do to repair my Bassman as well as referring me to some good material to further educate myself on amplifier repair!
Best Regards
Martin

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 19:18:05

Apologies for the slight tangent. Skip made a comment in a recent podcast that attributed those great, classic circuit drawings to Freddie.

Skip seems to know his business pretty well and is clearly a Fender fanatic so I'm inclined to go with that suggested attribution.

One more on the pile of his contributions that Jeremy started the thread with, that's all.

aqualadius wrote:

...I just found out via this article that a very amazing Hawaiian Musician was "instrumental" in the design of the Fender Stratocaster and potentially the Twin amplifier as well. He also designed one of the very first Pedal Steel guitars. Here's to Freddy Tavares!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Now I see the connection. Sorry, my bad.

The Rapture album, at the beginning of this thread, sounds so familiar. I wonder if that was the album of Hawaiian Music my parents had. One thing I must say about my parents is that they had interesting and eclectic tastes in music.

That's a REALLY awesome discovery Fady! Kudos! Yes

Jeremy

aqualadius wrote:

That's a REALLY awesome discovery Fady! Kudos! Yes

Welp... seems my faith in Skips initial comment was too strong. The Truth About Vintage Amps, Episode 8 is out now. I called in the question asking for any more background or context that led Skip to think Freddie did the work. He clarified 'oh, that's just a rumor' and added the bit about him being rumored to have played on the Looney Tunes theme too (which I have heard that before).

Oh well, guess it's going to remain a mystery as to who's penmanship actually crafted those amazing schematics and layout drawings.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Interesting Discovery here that Jody Carver is another steel guitar player deeply involved at Fender. Here's his album where he's playing steel in a very unique way. Pretty way out there man!

His Book: https://jodycarver.com/book.html

Jeremy

Last edited: Jul 03, 2019 07:02:27

Fabulous topic. Love this music. I haven't thought of Adventures in Paradise in a very, very long time.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Page 1 of 1