Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Need more drip

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

Donnoj wrote:

I know how to read pan model codes. This isn’t about accidentally using the wrong part or using it incorrectly. With the correct pan others have suggested bagging, double bagging, mounted to wood vs cardboard vs none, screwed to the cab, not screwed to the cab, ect effect tone.

OK then I guess you want to know how to get a better sound using all the suggestions above, I can't see any of that working myself. More important the cable to the pan might be the problem if your Pan and Tubes are ok and your not getting the sound you want yet - could it be the cable might be the problem - just a idea. Don't screw the pan down either - it needs to have shock mounts made out of rubber or spongy material etc. If its screw down that could be the problem. No pan can operate right like that = even if its a good pan (they are very delicate components. I guess bagging could work but the pan still has to have the transducers vertical and not sideways the U has to be upside down. Open side on the bottom always. or it will not deliver the sound you want.

I'm going for a rack mounted kit myself - and more than like have about four of them with different pans in each etc - that's what I came up with. It will cost about the same as a real Fender Tank or similar Tank Unit.

I would check the resistance of that wire - it could be the tube has drive too hard to get the transducers to work right down stream. Looks like some people use those thin audio RCA cables the thick wire ones are needed. Ok I guess I'm out of ideas on this Laughing

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 12:12:46

Your messing with me, aren’t you?

I feel like I’ve entered the twighlight zone. Lol.

Surfer_Joe_1961j, I really appreciate the enthusiasm but you are kind of driving lots of stuff off topic. You've been a member of this site for 9 days and you have 100+ posts...!!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

Is this the set up on your recording above Stardancer that sounds pretty righteous ….cool surf tone and verb I like it

Yes, Guitar into hot wired Twin Reverb.

I misunderstood this entire thread. I thought it was about getting the best surf reverb from an onboard reverb amp. Tubes, pans, wood, bags??? My advice is the best way to do it period.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Brian wrote:

Surfer_Joe_1961j, I really appreciate the enthusiasm but you are kind of driving lots of stuff off topic. You've been a member of this site for 9 days and you have 100+ posts...!!

He said he wants drip - it comes from the pan - how can I be off topic here /// The pan has to have properly match tubes etc to operate correctly I constantly get attacked on this site - - I don't care - just delete everything - No one appreciates my ideas anyway - whats the point of having a forum If I can't put my views on it.

So what I have 100 posts - I usually have 300 by now Yes

Just delete everything I posted - Thanks - Good luck with it all

Wow that’s two ragequits!

I’m definitely going to try that RCA-1/4” adaptor thing! Becausw, why not?

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

LOLZ

No one knows what this thread is about anymore. Sorry OP.

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

He said he wants drip - it comes from the pan - how can I be off topic here

Good question.

DeathTide wrote:

I'm an animal - I play like that too - see that's how I get responses - just spell a few words wrong on purpose or write long unrelated topics on treads and everyone responds - I just keep the trolls in biz that's and threads alive - see this tread would have died a long time ago without that. Being all you had to do was by a RCA plug to fix the problem. Out of Here Cool

DeathTide wrote:

It's very close to tank but no dwell control unfortunately. It does front load a channel with reverb and allows you to have maximum control of the tone and brightness.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I’m repeating myself now. I wholeheartedly thank everyone legitimately trying to be helpful here. I think there has been some confusion as to the specific topic (maybe my fault because of the simple title or not being able to express my thoughts clearly enough). But, I also see some post that are way off, disconnected from the conversation. Random.

I’ve looked at many other posts here and have gained a lot of really good information. This place is a fantastic resource!

For whatever reason, this conversation has derailed.

let’s keep the spirit of great music, tones, gear and helpful advice moving forward together. This is supposed to be FUN!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 14:46:42

Thanks for being such a good sport about it. Sorry for all the Thread Hijack

Donnoj wrote:

I’m repeating myself now. I wholeheartedly thank everyone legitimately trying to be helpful here. I think there has been some confusion as to the specific topic (maybe my fault because of the simple title or not being able to express my thoughts clearly enough). But, I also see some post that are way off, disconnected from the conversation. Random.

I’ve looked at many other posts here and have gained a lot of really good information. This place is a fantastic resource!

For whatever reason, this conversation has derailed.

let’s keep the spirit of great music, tones, gear and helpful advice moving forward together. This is supposed to be FUN!

For what it’s worth, I appreciate your efforts and that you have chosen to share your results with the rest of us. I doubt that I am alone in being interested in learning about different approaches. I love good reverb, but I also love doing things in moderation. Sure, Dick Dale cranked up his tank and gave ‘er hell for Miserlou, but he also played Summer Surf, which used reverb much more sparingly.

I play some of the evergreen chestnuts of Classic Surf with lots of drip and shoot for that classic sound, but I also back it off a bit and go for a more restrained sound on other songs. Sometimes, if I want drip, but a more mellow sound, I use a plate reverb pedal cranked up to the point of drip. Indeed, plate will drip and it does so beautifully. Robben Ford created a TonePrint for TC Electronic’s Hall of Fame pedal which is for Surf, and uses a Plate reverb emulation. It’s quite good sounding to my ear.

Among my collection of gadgets is a Stanley Blue Nebula pedal which emulates a number of tape and magnetic-drum delays with patches that cover at least 20 classic Shadows tunes. Among the other effects on this pedal, are a fine tremolo, and a very accurate emulation of Abbey Road’s massive reverb plates. The character of this plate emulation, plus the adjustable parameters, makes for a great sound for various Instrumental Rock situations. I’ve used this emulation on Surf tunes when I was looking for a mellower approach. I can count at least six different reverb pedals in my “fleet”, not to mention several amps with excellent built-in reverb. I love ‘em all.

Every day, I wake up early, drive to work, then spend 8 hours doing things just so. In my line of work, and in the place I work, nothing is left to chance; virtually every command I type is done in accordance with stringent regulations from numerous sources. That’s work; they pay me because I’m willing to do it there way. At the end of the day, I drive home, plug a Gretsch into an amp, and have some fun, doing things my way. That’s the purpose of recreation. If I’m programming a router, it’s work, if I’m playing Surf music, it’s play. I’m not about to get these confused. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019 20:21:14

well said synchro

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019 08:23:38

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:30:32

So you're saying, I should get a job playing surf music.

Good luck with that Laughing Surf is totally dead where I live and probably everywhere else if we all live long enough. Been few bands die here over the years - most original or new surf stuff etc - Some Beach Boys tribute type stuff - Rap and Caribbean been taking over - Everybody seems to love hip hop for some reason - I can't stand all that stuff

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:30:46

Surfadelphia wrote:

Ok....let's cut to the chase. You want drip: if budget is not an issue, get an outboard tank (a 6G15 boutique clone like a Nocturne F Bomb, Zoom Little Kahuna, etc or a used Fender reissue and change out the 6V6 for a NOS 6K6) or a Surfy Bear (which will be a good bit less $$$ than tube unit clones and is truly low maintenance and pretty bulletproof).
On a budget and want the advantage of portability, then a good reverb pedal could get the job done. Based upon multiple demos, reviews, etc the best one to my ears so far has been the Electro Harmonix Oceans 11. Tons of drip and doesn't seem to suffer from some of the digital modeling ills of other reverb pedals. Usually $147.00 out the door and has a bunch of other really excellent sounding reverb tones on board.....but most importantly has "the drip". I would stay away from the Boss "63" 6G15 pedal. I have one and while it does do plenty of drip, it filters out OD and distortion pedals and there is something that doesn't sound quite right with the drip too.

Really goood

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4