Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What do you think is the hardest Surf Instrumental to play or perform?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Haha a friendly mod musta done it, because I have no idea!

Daniel Deathtide

Thanks Deathtide

I guess a hard song to perform and pull it off and sound good is Telstar on guitar, If you have cool effects it sound pretty good, but wow I don't know?

I like this guy, I have seen many of his videos - he's pretty good - I got to learn this song someday. If it had a more Surftone and energy to it it would sound fantastic I think. I have trouble playing the Latin style right now.

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

I like this guy, I have seen many of his videos - he's pretty good - I got to learn this song someday. If it had a more Surftone and energy to it it would sound fantastic I think. I have trouble playing the Latin style right now.

I've heard surf versions of this song and it is great!!!

Daniel Deathtide

Yeah I will have to try one Deathtide ///hey is Deathtide the same as a riptide . . .lots of people die here with riptides or undertow they call it.

I found another cool song I forgot in fact I tried this one like 10 years ago starting out trying to play surf etc cool song will have to relearn this one ...

This one is always hard for me for some reason. I just didn't practice hard enough) I always forget this song and how to play it for some reason - I can remember the Spanish Kiss lick in there like Dick Dale uses on to of his songs - but wow ...for some reason this one is always hard for my brain. Whatever Laughing

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 09:33:43

Telstar makes a great cover when you trem pick the main riff. Attack it and it gives the main riff the vibe and modulation of the keyboard. All other guitar covers fail.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 11:38:17

Malaguena is such an awesome adaptation of... a flamenco song! I like the Trashwomen cover of it the most.

In addition to classical, someday I’d love to learn some flamenco. But I can’t stand long fingernails, and I can understand how different using nails vs. fingerpicks could be far more precise.

Daniel Deathtide

stratdancer wrote:

Telstar makes a great cover when you trem pick the main riff. Attack it and it gives the main riff the vibe and modulation of the keyboard. All other guitar covers fail.

I beg to differ!
IMHO sometimes, just trem picking the melody is almost a cop-out, too easy, and therefore boring.
Every song can be made to sound cool doing this shtick, and then the octave up/down and so forth, but gets tiring after a while, especially if lacking playing dynamics or picking rhythm is too linear.

Check this great arrangement, if you haven't before:
Original post here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 12:06:22

That's awesome. Picking the notes from within a chord then trem picking. Squid kicking the shit out of it!

The Kahuna Kings

Ariel wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

I beg to differ!
IMHO sometimes, just trem picking the melody is almost a cop-out, too easy, and therefore boring.
Every song can be made to sound cool doing this shtick, and then the octave up/down and so forth, but gets tiring after a while, especially if lacking playing dynamics or picking rhythm is too linear.

Check this great arrangement, if you haven't before:
Original post here.

Squid - Hang Ten Surfer dude your no Gremmie

That sounds pretty good. I like the British Tornados band version from 1962. The Cuban Missile crisis messed up their tour over here in the States way before The Beatles came over. I always wondered if history would have been different if they hit as big as the Fab Four.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 16:59:05

stratdancer wrote:

I have seen your videos before - Your the band with the dancing girls right?
You guys got the surf vibe ... cowabunga dude

Yeah I might make a few videos...but I want the camera pointed down at the fret board close up from the players perspective so people can see how all these songs were played on records (and so I can remember them as well.) Many cool songs never get played out much (I think because it takes to long to learn them etc) Now that I wasted most of my life playing all these songs it would be nice to share the knowledge. I'm thinking a strap on sports HD camera on my head so I can move the view for big moves with close up view etc. You could see all the fingerings better and not backwards like most videos.

I'm thinking of doing the whole Surf Mania album by The Surf Teens because its like Surf Guitar 101 being all the songs were very good covers and a good cross-section of the techniques in 1963.
It would feature the wiggly G technique found on many surf tunes on the D string. It took me a while to figure that out. Stuff like that.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 16:31:16

This song has the wiggly G in it

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 16:29:48

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

I have seen your videos before - Your the band with the dancing girls right?
You guys got the surf vibe ... cowabunga dude

Yeah I might make a few videos...but I want the camera pointed down at the fret board close up from the players perspective so people can see how all these songs were played on records (and so I can remember them as well.) Many cool songs never get played out much (I think because it takes to long to learn them etc) Now that I wasted most of my life playing all these songs it would be nice to share the knowledge. I'm thinking a strap on sports HD camera on my head so I can move the view for big moves with close up view etc. You could see all the fingerings better and not backwards like most videos.

I'm thinking of doing the whole Surf Mania album by The Surf Teens because its like Surf Guitar 101 being all the songs were very good covers and a good cross-section of the techniques in 1963.
It would feature the wiggly G technique found on many surf tunes on the D string. It took me a while to figure that out. Stuff like that.

Helmet cam! Show what it's like shredding from the performers perspective. That would be great!

Yeah we like to have as much crazy at our shows as possible. Dancing girls, confetti, you name it! Laughing

The Kahuna Kings

The most challenging material I every attempted of late was Ivan's "Cordoba" and "Transatlantic Orbit" and the Ventures "Asia Minor" (Concerto in A minor). These tunes take some concentration and finger coordination.

Challenging material is good for a musician. It forces you to play better and stretch yourself a bit.

J Mo'

Is it in Asia Minor or some other scale? (Just Kidding)
I tore up some Ventures records practicing - Walk Don't Run 64 is still my favorite and play it a lot.

I think I have this album on my flash card along with hundreds of others I haven't got to yet. They put out a 10th anniversery album once that had a lot of classical type music in Venture s style.
Cool tune. I couldn'r find the Ivan's version but found some other group below.

Dude, that's Ivan.
Curb... just hang out and relax.

Ok I'm chilling - been out in the sun too long at the beach Big Grin

How about some Murphy The Surfie - not sure which band first band recorded this tune from (Australia). I learned this like three times and just keep forgetting how it goes, so it is hard for me at least . The Surfaris (USA) had a 45 and so did The Joy Boys (Australia) - not sure which was first? The Detours claim to fame was The Who had to change their name when these guys showed up in London in 1963 being both bands had the same name - The Who thought they were from the USA. I will have to watch this instruction video below a few times first. I found this a while ago. I found a live Joy Boys video I can't find now that showed the lead pretty good.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 19:00:27

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

I couldn'r find the Ivan's version but found some other group below.

Well... LMAO

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Laughing Well I had to look it up: I thought Ivan was the group name

"The Space Cossacks started playing in 1996 when an ad in a Washington D.C. weekly brought them together. The Space Cossacks sound is a wild and powerful blend of moods. The band's songs are intense, aggressive, moody, intricate yet accessible, beautiful and "other-worldly". A sound that's not easy to describe. Croatian lead guitarist, Ivan Pongracic, along with Catherine Gray (bass) and Mark English (rhythm guitar), is what makes The Space Cossacks "Ukrainian-Space" surf music so distinct."

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next