Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink A Shot In The Dark - Boss GT-1 experiment

Page 1 of 1

I decided to try my Boss GT-1's capabilities as a recording interface. I have to say I found it quite easy to set up and track with.

This track is a real hodge-podge: the bass is a VST, the drums are a live player, rhythm guitar was recorded with Amplitube 4, the clean lead and fuzz/octave solo were done today using the Boss GT-1.

Listening back to it, I think I should pull the rhythm guitar up in the mix a bit.

As well as the GT-1, I used Reaper, Amplitube 4, Garritan, and the pitch shift in Reaper for the octave tracking.

BTW - the fuzz line is lifted right from the original Mancini version.

https://soundcloud.com/user-51358469/a-shot-in-the-dark

Very cool - I've always loved this song. So far, I've only listened through my computer speakers, but it sounds like the bass and the rhythm guitar need to be more prominent in the mix. To me, that bass line is the soul of the song.

edwardsand wrote:

Very cool - I've always loved this song. So far, I've only listened through my computer speakers, but it sounds like the bass and the rhythm guitar need to be more prominent in the mix. To me, that bass line is the soul of the song.

Interestingly, that guitar riff everyone characterizes as a bass line isn’t the bass line. Get out the good monitors or the phones and listen again; you’ll hear the ascending chromatic line that the bass plays.

I just went and dug out my old Mancini LP and listened to the song, and you are totally right. The way those different parts inter-weave really drives the coolnes of that song, with that muted guitar line being the key part.

Nice work, Merlin. You done Hank proud.

As for the mix, I think it could be mostly improved by just lowering the lead. Played at high volume, that part is really piercing. I think reducing it will bring the rhythm forward like you were wanting.

Another thing I was thinking is that maybe the drums could use a bit of studio reverb on them. There's a distinct contrast in the sense of proximity between them and everything else, particularly the not-the-bass accent guitar track. The effect is that it kind of sounds like you're standing next to a drummer while his band is playing across the room.

I've been experimenting with this recently in Reaper, trying to simulate a common space--a virtual room--for all the instruments to live in to give everything a unified feel. Which of course isn't necessary in a song, as there's no rule saying all the reverbs have to match, but it's just something to consider.

edwardsand wrote:

I just went and dug out my old Mancini LP and listened to the song, and you are totally right. The way those different parts inter-weave really drives the coolnes of that song, with that muted guitar line being the key part.

Yep, it's like a complementary bass part. You could make the guitar riff function as a bass line, but the combination of the two is amazing.

Redfeather wrote:

As for the mix, I think it could be mostly improved by just lowering the lead. Played at high volume, that part is really piercing. I think reducing it will bring the rhythm forward like you were wanting.

Another thing I was thinking is that maybe the drums could use a bit of studio reverb on them. There's a distinct contrast in the sense of proximity between them and everything else, particularly the not-the-bass accent guitar track. The effect is that it kind of sounds like you're standing next to a drummer while his band is playing across the room.

I've been experimenting with this recently in Reaper, trying to simulate a common space--a virtual room--for all the instruments to live in to give everything a unified feel. Which of course isn't necessary in a song, as there's no rule saying all the reverbs have to match, but it's just something to consider.

Here's a remixed version: https://soundcloud.com/user-51358469/a-shot-in-the-dark-v2-remixed

Pulled the solo guitars back a bit, added a plate reverb to the solo guitar, and tweaked the overall mix reverb.

Much better! It's way more cohesive in this mix. Sounds great.

The lead guitar is still kind of biting, though. At least to my ears. At higher volume I find the spikiness uncomfortable. I think an EQ could roll some of the top end off to good effect. Or maybe some compression?

Redfeather wrote:

Much better! It's way more cohesive in this mix. Sounds great.

The lead guitar is still kind of biting, though. At least to my ears. At higher volume I find the spikiness uncomfortable. I think an EQ could roll some of the top end off to good effect. Or maybe some compression?

Interesting. To put it in context, that's the bridge HB on my Godin Session. I didn't split the coils, as I have a lot of issues with noise in my house. I would have expected that to be less spiky than a bridge single coil. The rhythm guitar track was done about a year and a half ago on a Squier Jazzmaster, tracked with Amplitube 4. The Godin was recorded through the Boss GT-1.

The remix is getting there, though I still haven't had the chance to listen to it through proper headphones so I can't give you definitive feedback yet. But since this is a song I've always liked, it's a challenge for me to distinguish between what I would do if I were recording this versus what you are aiming for. I'd say technically all the parts sound fine, but I'd work on the sound of the lead guitar line, like adding some tremolo to it and even more reverb to get a bit more of a sinister touch to it (which is essential to the song in my mind).

There's this interplay between the laid back jazziness and the sinister darkness that makes the song great, and I would want to capture that in my own way a guitar-oriented version. Of course, you should go for your own vision, so if you say what you're aiming for, we might be able to give you more useful suggestions.

Finally got the chance to listen with some decent headphones. One thing that would help would be to make the bass more defined. Right now it is just low frequency without much character, so if you have some presets for it, you should play around with them or tweak the EQ. I still think the lead guitar could use some tremolo and more reverb, and maybe turned down just a bit more in the mix.

edwardsand wrote:

Finally got the chance to listen with some decent headphones. One thing that would help would be to make the bass more defined. Right now it is just low frequency without much character, so if you have some presets for it, you should play around with them or tweak the EQ. I still think the lead guitar could use some tremolo and more reverb, and maybe turned down just a bit more in the mix.

The bass is a VST, so I may try a different one, or just play an actual bass for the track.

Thanks for taking time to listen.

Merlin wrote:

Redfeather wrote:

Here's a remixed version: https://soundcloud.com/user-51358469/a-shot-in-the-dark-v2-remixed

Pulled the solo guitars back a bit, added a plate reverb to the solo guitar, and tweaked the overall mix reverb.

Sounds better - I think it needs more Tank reverb - for some reason reverb has to be way louder to record the effect right than room etc.

I like digital boards and rack units too

The drums could be bigger in the mix - neat tune though

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 10:00:37

Page 1 of 1