Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2109 110 111 112 113135 136 Next

Finally i have put my surfybear board that i have buy fews month ago in Livorno in a box
the size is 50cm /11 cm/5 cm

now it fit in my bag then i have one hand free when i move

The dwell all the way up sounds more authentic to me - To me doesn't quite get there - but sounds better than many others I heard that's for sure ...I imagine the tubes had something to do with the overall sound on the original Fender Tank.

I'm thinking this might sound better with a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 - 170-watt Pedal Board Guitar Amp Head or something like that. But then these two would cost as much as a real Fender Tank Reverb so is there an advantage with this I don't see or hear?

If I remember right the real fender Tank Dwell setting sounded best at 12 O clock - This here needed to go all the way up to match that sound.

Not bad though I dig the drip it The SurfyBear has.

There again I could be deaf now and do not hear much difference in the pedals on the second video shoot out. Would the audience hear the difference? To me all these units deliver what is needed to Surf.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 15:17:00

I would also build a Surfy Bear Reverb in a old case. I read that the wires should all be short. Does that also apply for the wires of the potentiometers? What if the cable of the potentiometer should be longer, so about 20cm? What can happen in the worst case?

Krabasti wrote:

What can happen in the worst case?

That it acts like an 'antenna' and picks up noise.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 19:56:16

I saw this video a while ago - I thought this guy had a point about making a pedals sound more like a authentic Tank . I have a ton of pedals like this so will try this someday. Right now I don't need these being I have built in Tank Reverb on my Avid Eleven Rack and pretty happy with that.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 21:02:00

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

I saw this video a while ago - I thought this guy had a point about making a pedals sound more like a authentic Tank . I have a ton of pedals like this so will try this someday. Right now I don't need these being I have built in Tank Reverb on my Avid Eleven Rack and pretty happy with that.

Mixed responses to that. I hadn’t ever thought of using slapback, but I have to admit that it adds something. The Boss FRV-1 drips, but they are a bit harsh to my ears. Adding tremolo doesn’t strike me as all that unique of an idea. I use it from time to time, even if the original recording of a given song didn’t have it. It thickens the sound, which comes in very handy in a trio, but I dont see it as part of the reverb/drip equation.

I have two boards, depending upon the intended use. The smaller of the two has a Catalinbread Topanga in front of an EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master, which is a Hall reverb pedal with delay built in. Beyond that, I have a footswitch for controlling the tremolo in my Winfield Tremor amp. That happens to be a bias modulating tremolo and sounds great for Surf and early ‘60s Rock.

I may try the two pedals together and see how it sounds with a bit of slapback behind the Topanga. Keep in mind, I don’t chase tones. My recipes are always “seasoned to (Maj tastes”. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:27:05

I made an account basically to thank the guys behind Surfy Industries, who I see participating in this thread.

I ordered the Surfybear and Surfytrem kits a couple weeks ago and wired them into a cheap chassis that I plan to build into a Fender style outboard unit sooner or later.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to electronics and when I first got everything wired up, I had a working trem and pan crashing but no splash on the guitar signal. I read around this thread, checked my signal path with the multimeter, made sure all my wires were insulated from the chassis and... Drip!!!

I've been a casual fan of surf music for a long time but I've never heard a real Fender unit in person, just recordings. I've always used the Boss RV-3 for reverb and been pretty happy. But wow, I had high expectations for the Surfybear, yet they were still exceeded. This is the most musical effect I've ever used... beautiful drip, tone shaping, and a nice warbly echo trail. I'm playing through a 70s Champ half-tweed-modded and a 57 Strat, and I love how the Surfybear starts pushing the tubes with the tank settings around 6. This is THE sound I never knew I needed. I'm using the Accutronics MiK vertical pan, by the way.

The Surfytrem sounds great too, I would definitely advise to run trem into reverb and not vice versa.. I need to switch mine around.

For less than $200 in total,. I think this combo effect is an incredible value. Anyone on the fence about trying this should give it a shot,

Thanks again to the geniuses at Surfy Industries and the helpful people in this thread, who have offered a lot of technical insight and inspiration.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 04:45:48

Although I put this together two months ago I didn't get around to lettering it until yesterday. The toolbox is from when I was about ten years old. The rattly-ness of the original handle bugged me so I improvised a new one. Calling it the RatVerb popped into my head because it looks rough, like a ratrod. The green color is the best spray paint I had on the shelf. Recently it occurred to me that the green was reminiscent of Rat Fink. That cemented it. This is indeed the Rat Verb.

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

The dwell all the way up sounds more authentic to me - To me doesn't quite get there - but sounds better than many others I heard that's for sure ...I imagine the tubes had something to do with the overall sound on the original Fender Tank.

I'm thinking this might sound better with a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 - 170-watt Pedal Board Guitar Amp Head or something like that. But then these two would cost as much as a real Fender Tank Reverb so is there an advantage with this I don't see or hear?

If I remember right the real fender Tank Dwell setting sounded best at 12 O clock - This here needed to go all the way up to match that sound.

Not bad though I dig the drip it The SurfyBear has.

There again I could be deaf now and do not hear much difference in the pedals on the second video shoot out. Would the audience hear the difference? To me all these units deliver what is needed to Surf.

Yes you are right! burn Surfy Industries! Their reverb is NOT right!

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:26:37

Laughing Laughing

To change the subject to a technical one I am looking into (and I've read all the threads/posts and I don't remember it being discussed before):

I'm wondering how much it matters about the connectors to the reverb pan: it's specified that they should be Input Insulated/Output Grounded, which is "C" in the 5th digit of the reverb pan code 4AB3C1B (or 4AB3C1C) of the recommended pan. My question is whether a different combo would work, e.g., could it be input grounded/output isolated (code "B") or one of the others. Maybe Bjorn can answer this.

It makes me wonder because some people could be using an old Gibbs/Hammon pan, which on another thread, is identified as equivalent to Accutronics 4AB2A1C (in other words, it's input and output grounded).

If there is flexibility, it gives some more options, especially for those who might have old reverb pans lying around or who might need a short pan because of size constraints of their enclosure.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:26:29

In some designs it really matters. In most solid state amps that have spring reverb (Vox Pathfinder, Fender Frontman, Marshall MG for example) they use opamps and, simply put, the coil of the input transducer is being used as the feedback resistor. The coil is resistor Rf in the image below:
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/images/Inverting-op-amp.png
If you would connect either side of that resistor/coil to ground it would simply not work. You most definitely need "input insulated" there, for it to work at all.

The output transducer of a spring reverb is pretty much identical to a guitar pickup, and I can't think of a reason for it not to be connected to ground. I don't know of any design where the output is "insulated", so most pans people have laying around are "output grounded" anyway.

The SurfyBear schematic shows the input connected to ground but the build instructions say to use "input insulated".
The pan seems to be driven like you would drive a regular speaker.
You can drive a loudspeaker in two ways: voltage driven or current driven. For 'constant current drive' it should not be connected to ground, so: "input insulated", but it seems voltage driven, so I guess you could use "input grounded" as well.

Maybe it's for noise reasons it prefers "input insulated".
My build was a bit sloppy and while I used the 'correct pan' with "input insulated", the 'sleeve' of the input was connected through the chassis to the sleeve of the output and since that was connected to ground, the sleeve of the input was connected to ground as well.
It still worked.
(In the mean time I changed it and have used non conductive washers to isolated the input sleeve from ground.) I don't hear or notice any difference.

Conclusion: I hope that Björns gives the official explanation, but as far as I can tell, any input/output type combo pan will work.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 18:48:44

Reminder: this thread is about the Surfy Bear Fet Reverb and related Surfy Bear products / projects.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

-

Last edited: Mar 08, 2022 13:09:46

Gilette wrote:

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

The dwell all the way up sounds more authentic to me - To me doesn't quite get there -

I had you mistaken for another Surfer Joe. It's a bit confusing because the Surfer Joe we know is very knowledgable about these reverbs, and on top of that, partner in SurfyIndustries.

It is a bit confusing. The original Surfer Joe is pretty well known in these parts.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

j_flanders wrote:

Conclusion: I hope that Björns gives the official explanation, but as far as I can tell, any input/output type combo pan will work.

Thanks very much for the technical explanation. Given the variety of reverb pans out there, it helps to figure out what may work in different scenarios.

j_flanders wrote:

Yes, j_flanders, I agree. Well written Smile
My experience is that both grounding types works good.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2109 110 111 112 113135 136 Next