Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reverb Pan Conversion

Page 1 of 1

I was wondering if one could turn a 3-spring pan into a 2-spring pan simply by removing one of the springs? I realize that sounds like a silly question but implicit is the issue of impedance and whatnot.

They use different transducer/spring mount assemblies. The type 9 3-spring pans have 10 ohm inputs where the type 4 2-springs have 8 ohm inputs. The difference isn't crucial but I'm just wondering if pulling a spring will change the impedance. And if so, will it remain a usable value?

The reason I'm asking is that Accutronics offers 2-spring pans only in long decay length and I would like a medium decay. They offer medium as a 3-spring.

I've rejected MOD as a viable option, due to their inconsistent and overly long decays.

I can’t imagine anything being hurt by giving it a try.

Interestingly, my favorite spring reverb sound is in my Twin, which is packaged in a piggyback cabinet, and only had room for a 9” pan. It sounds great. Perhaps it is the shorter decay that clinches the deal.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I went ahead and conducted this experiment on a Mod 9AB2C1B, pulling its top spring out and leaving it with two. I recorded samples before and after and it works fine without the third spring. It does make a difference, too. The third spring in there definitely adds convolution to the sound and without it there is more clarity.

It's tempting to pull another spring and see what that does to the sound...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 03:12:19

Redfeather wrote:

I went ahead and conducted this experiment on a Mod 9AB2C1B, pulling its top spring out and leaving it with two. I recorded samples before and after and it works fine without the third spring. It does make a difference, too. The third spring in there definitely adds convolution to the sound and without it there is more clarity.

It's tempting to pull another spring and see what that sounds to the sound...

Go for it.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

What that sounds to the sound? What was I smoking?

What I'd actually like to do is find a way to cut down on the damned trail length of those Mod pans. I was thinking maybe some kind of coating might do it. Wax potted reverb springs, perhaps?

Or maybe fishing a string through each one, end to end. It's mad scientist time.

Redfeather wrote:

What that sounds to the sound? What was I smoking?

That actually made an odd kind of sense reading it the first time through, our poor brains have adjusted to make sense out of things we read on the internet. So you may have just invented a new turn of phrase... yet another historic milestone witnessed here at SG101. Big Grin

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

As per the spec's listed on the Antique Electronics Supply website, both the Accutronics 4BB2C1B and 4EB2C1B are long (17") two spring pans that are medium decay. They also list the following Accutronics long (17") three spring pans as being medium decay: 9EB21B, 9AB2C1B, and 9BB2C1B.
As previously stated, MOD medium decay pans have longer decay times than Accutronics long decay pans. Also, three spring long pans are different sounding beast than two spring pans. The three spring pans generally have a much deeper, less splashy sound.

Surfadelphia, yes--the experiment demonstrated just what you said. By removing the third spring, I have shown that it is possible to convert from 3 to 2 spring and change the sound while retaining functionality.

I used a Mod pan for the experiment because it's what I had on hand but the actual intended goal is to do the same thing to an Accutronics medium decay pan.

Page 1 of 1