Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink So I took the Buzz Stop off the Jaguar...

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

Merlin wrote:

What I couldn't stand was the fact that my strings were no longer grounded.

Can you elaborate please?
Do you mean you felt less connection between strings and body (what would be the culprit parameter - weight, design, friction... all the above?)

Or did you use to get electric shocks?

Last edited: May 10, 2016 18:54:48

Merlin wrote:

I tried the Graph Tech saddles on my Jazzmaster. I like the sound (I know some do not). What I couldn't stand was the fact that my strings were no longer grounded. I swapped the stock saddles back in.

The ground needs to go to the Vibrato, not the bridge in this instance.

JakeDobner wrote:

Merlin wrote:

I tried the Graph Tech saddles on my Jazzmaster. I like the sound (I know some do not). What I couldn't stand was the fact that my strings were no longer grounded. I swapped the stock saddles back in.

The ground needs to go to the Vibrato, not the bridge in this instance.

Yep, and I just couldn't be bothered. As you have IMO, correctly pointed out, a properly set up JM bridge works fine.

toddr513 wrote:

i am gettin a god awful harmonic hum from my b string thats super loud compared to the rest any ideas

My B string is a lot louder than than the other strings when playing at a loud volume, any advice? I have no idea how to adjust the pickup poles on a Jag. Please help!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016 19:37:26

Most people around here are going to cringe when I say this but, I've "adjusted" the height of Jazzmaster pole pieces by gently tapping on one of the four inboard poles with a wood dowel and a small hammer. When I say TAP, I am not kidding. Friction holds them in place in the upper and lower bobbin formers. They are simply pressed into place. Trying to adjust the two outside ones is an almost instant dead pickup. Don't try to adjust those two. On the inside four, You do run the risk of crapping up the pickup if the pole rubs through the coil wire's fragile insulation.

I take the PU out of the guitar, lay it across two wood blocks spaced so that the gap between the two is just a bit wider than the pole diameters and VERY carefully move the one I want to "adjust" a wee bit. This is fragile work, kind of like defusing a bomb.

I generally just "radius" the poles on the lead pickups just a tad to follow the radius of the fret board. So far no dead pickups but the risk is real and you should be both extremely careful and not too surprised if you screw the pickup up. Nice ring huh? "Screw the pickup up........"

Poet moron Ed.

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Thank you Ed, very informative post. Having said that, there is no way I am going to try that! I should have uploaded a pic of the pickups last night, as all the poles actually look very low/flush.

I know this sounds crazy, but when this happened on my Strat with the G string, a wound G corrected the problem 95%. I am thinking about swapping the string out, but I don't know what to replace it with.

I currently use DR pure nickel .12-.52 strings. The guitar shop owner told me the tech noticed the new "D" string was faulty and he had to replace it with a standard chrome string. I am wondering if it was actually the B string that was replaced, and that is why it is louder.

I think I am going to put a fresh new set of DR strings on first and see how it sounds. Does anyone make a wound B string? ROTFL

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

If I go too light on strings the Jaguar squeals. The Squire Jaguars made in Indonesia are even worse noise wise.

Looking into all this I found the bridge needs to be perfectly level with the pickguard. If it even has a slight angle to the body it will ring. The problem is the pickups are more powerful that normal electric guitars so the strings could be set higher up and get more lows than like a Stratocaster etc, and if the pickups and or string are set too low you will have problems with noise. So the trick is to set the bridge High enough and the pickups low enough to avoid all these problems. The Guitar was designed by requirements of Surf instrumentalists and the guitar has limitations on set up. The Mustang bridge is not a solution either being it only deadens the sound by too much string surface on the saddle etc .. .so keep the original bridge and saddles and adjust everything at the right height.

Jaguar is the most troublesome animal out there if not set up properly and - I haven't any newer designs - just wonder how they hold up to the original design = Any Body know or like the newer modified Jags??

I forgot most guitars have a G ring to them because of the length between the tuner and nut is just the right length to ring harmonics there. Hence I guess Les Pauls or guitars with that type of head don't have those problems, Unfortunately and Guitar with middle bridges like the Jazzmaster or Jaguar will have problems just from having string length past the bridge. All these designs are inferior to a solid tail stock bridge. But there again a lot of the tone comes from there with this type design.

I might get a hardtail Jaguar just try it out - I have pedals the do whammy stuff anyway ( I just want the sound not the look I guess)

I guess I'm thinking of hot rodding my old trusty Jaguars - Like would I rather drive a 1962 Chevy stock or drive one turned into a hot rod ??? same with guitars, many new guitars are way better now then it the old days (And you pay more to have them). To me many guitars could be much better modified in my mind - Like the Jaguars look but some parts are junk compared to many other guitars out now.

I like the neck length on a Jag better then a Strat or Jazzmaster and the sound when adjusted properly. But its to hard to keep them that way if used a lot.

Let us know if you have any newer Jaguar models and how it plays etc

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 15:37:30

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:27:43

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when I try to play like Dick Dale, the low E sometimes slips off the saddle of my jazzmaster. After much research, I decided to order a Mastery Bridge and be done with it. It kinda hurts to spend money on a bridge after buying a nice guitar but I think it will be worth it. Anyone else have experience with the Mastery Bridge?

Last edited: Mar 09, 2019 09:12:02

Sonic_Blue wrote:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when I try to play like Dick Dale, the low E sometimes slips off the saddle of my jazzmaster. After much research, I decided to order a Mastery Bridge and be done with it. It kinda hurts to spend money on a bridge after buying a nice guitar but I think it will be worth it. Anyone else have experience with the Mastery Bridge?

Resurrection is nice, but why this thread? The Mastery has been mentioned in many, more relevant discussions. Do a site wide search, you'll find a lot.
To your question - yes, it will solve the string skipping 100%, and also will help getting closer to Dick Dale sound-wise, as it has a slight focusing effect, less overtones and elimination of Jazzmasters' inherent buzz and rattle. So, more like a strat... Uh-Oh
It's a very well made piece of equipment, and I'd recommend it, but not before recommending thicker gauge strings. Have you tried .013s yet?

Sonic_Blue, I have two MB's with more than ten years of use.
The main reason I use them is my dislike of the Fender bridge rocking feature throwing off the intonation.
Another reason is the MB's ease of setup.

When I was researching on google this is the thread that came up so I guess I was trying to give a heads up to the next person doing a similar search on google.

edit: I am going to try 13s with the bridge.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019 21:23:23

Update, 11-1/2 years later: still haven't put the Buzz Stop back on. It is a pointless device.

Why is this thread still alive?

SSIV

Big Grin

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4