Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Wedge vs. Malagueña

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hey gang, I'm reemerging from a long forum absence with some potentially heretical musings on surf canon: Stir the Pot Join me!

I think it's fair to claim The Wedge is one of the all-time great songs of the surf genre. It was one of my standout favorites when I discovered surf (and still is!), and made a big impact on my development as a budding surf guitarist, as I'm sure it has with lots of other folks. If someone totally naive to the genre asked me to point them to a single song that exemplifies all the best of surf music, I might well point them to Dick Dale's Checkered Flag recording. It's one of his finest achievements in an accomplished and historically important musical career. I'd even venture to say it's a perfect surf record.

Except...

Should we be a little uncomfortable that he's clearly lifted a large excerpt from Ernesto Lecuona's "Malagueña"? This is another crowning song by an influential musician, and it's pretty obvious Dick just arranged the melody from 3/4 into 4/4 with a little dressing for the turnaround to each verse of The Wedge.

Where's the line between inspired homage and blatant plagiarism? Does The Wedge cross it? Does that detract from its luster or greatness? (Full disclosure: I've released a handful of original songs of my own, and most of them flirt with this boundary as well). Has Dick ever been forthright about the song's connection to Malagueña or has he claimed this as his own idea?

Malagueña itself explicitly borrows some traditional Spanish melodic rhythms, but by my read that's more a strategy employing folk traditions than lifting someone else's work. As far as I understand the "proto-Wedge" melody (first at 0:58 in the youtube recording) is a Lecuona original, and Dick's take on it doesn't feel like he's trying on traditional Spanish melodies for size, it feels like he's copying Ernesto Lecuona for his own glory.

I still love both of these songs, but over time the explicit Malagueña melody has made me feel a little more squeamish about the purity of The Wedge. Maybe that's also a factor of me idolizing the song when I discovered it as a kid, and putting it on a pedestal of sorts. Still, it just makes me a little sad. Does anyone know anything more about the history of The Wedge and the connection between these two songs?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018 23:20:38

And then there's this. I don't know if A Run For Life was published before or after this song but if The Tandems did "borrow" for it, at least they declined the Lecuona material! But if they were first, well then it seems both parts of A Run For Life/The Wedge came from somewhere else...

Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit. The Capitol version of Wedge has always been my favorite surf song and always will be. It's one of those perfect songs that should never even be covered, as covers unfailingly fall short in one or more category.

I've always thought of that riff in question as kind of a generic one but I guess I'm wrong about that. But hey, sorry Lecuona--your song just don't swing like Dick's, buddy! Maybe if you had had Earl Palmer working for you...

wooza wrote:

Should we be a little uncomfortable that he's clearly lifted a large excerpt from Ernesto Lecuona's "Malagueña"?

No we shouldn't.

This is another crowning song by an influential musician, and it's pretty obvious Dick just arranged the melody from 3/4 into 4/4 with a little dressing for the turnaround to each verse of The Wedge.

I see it as (part of) the genius of Dick Dale, and actually a basic practice in all pop music. Integrating and quoting musical phrases from anything and everything, making it your own, and hopefully exciting. DD succeeded in that in a way that resonated for decades. This case is very far from the world of blatant plagiarism.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018 06:19:53

Hi Wooza!

Been a while. Great to see you back!

Best Reverbs,

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Much of surf guitar music is closely related to other surf guitar music. If we were to fault The Wedge we would spend too much time finger pointing. Yah, when I hear The Wedge I think, "Malaguena ripoff. Wish I'd have done that first."

After growing up on Classical Music, I believe that much of my pleasure from surf guitar music derives from similarities to it. This reminds me of my ambition to write a surf guitar piece with themes adapted from Mahler's Symphony #2.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018 17:38:12

Squid wrote:

After growing up on Classical Music, I believe that much of my pleasure from surf guitar music derives from similarities to it. This reminds me of my ambition to write a surf guitar piece with themes adapted from Mahler's Symphony #2.

That sounds awesome!! Please do it!

This is an interesting question - made interesting by the idea that DD only borrowed / adapted part of the original, added original stuff, and then named it The Wedge. It’s kind of dumb luck that he never got sued isn’t it? It’s a blatant adaptation, and not purported as such.

Weirdly, I recently adapted a Hungarian folk song to surf. It works beautifully, but I had to compose a couple parts to make it work. I also had to lose the second two parts of the original because they don’t really work for surf. I changed the title too, but only slightly. I tell everyone it’s a Hungarian folk song too, and never claim I wrote it. But, I also claim I play in an Original Surf Band, with only one, super obscure Shadowy Men cover. Maybe my whole life is a lie.

Surf is perfectly suited for adapting other genres, just like Miserlou. I guess I don’t mind. In fact, I like it and I wish more surf bands did it!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Weirdly, I recently adapted a Hungarian folk song to surf. It works beautifully, but I had to compose a couple parts to make it work. I also had to lose the second two parts of the original because they don’t really work for surf.

This is how we did almost all our Meshugga Beach Party versions of old Jewish melodies. Though gotta admit Hava Nagila already had a great bridge Big Grin

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Hi Wooza,
Doesn't DD's "Miserlou" also borrow a snippet of "Malagueña"? (The second 1/2 of the trumpet part).

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

I dunno... I hear extremely familiar melodies in surf stuff all the time. It’s kind of like the blues, in that way. In fact, so many surf tunes are based off of 12 bar blues progressions, but with different tempos and vibes.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

If anyone has free time, compare The Wedge's melody and rhythm to Walk Don't Run.

Add Pintor and Latinia. It's in the canon.

Ernesto had a great contribution to our genre, thankfully.
In fact, lots of his music could also be considered a POPization of his own latin-jazz influences.
Let us pray there's not an EDM version out there somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018 11:41:36

I consider 1st wave surf akin to folk or blues music ...bits ,riffs and melodies were around for ages before being written down and codified into the songs as we know them ( did Wille Dixon really write all those songs or just write them down and get a copyright ?) ,so similar themes used in different songs or variations on a them are to be expected .
I just play surf covers and freely borrow from various versions of standards into a form that pleases me ...if I mix some Johnny Barakat into my Wedge ,why not?

To me, that’s not at all the issue. Of course surf borrows riffs, but DD should have probably shared his songwriting credits, or at least acknowledged where that part came from.

It’s a real pickle with music and copyright laws!

Daniel Deathtide

There are some passages which are pretty much Malagueña, but others which aren’t. Much Surf music is based, at least partly, on the Andalusian Cadence, Am, G F E. To the best of my knowledge, you can’t copyright a cadence and I believe that is correct.

Stray Cat Strut is based upon the Andalusian Cadence, so is Sultans of Swing, Walk Don’t Run and it was based upon Softly, As In A Morning’s Sunrise and certainly many songs before that stretching back many years. My point is that all music is derivative from something or another in the past. There are few songs that go outside of just a relative handful of chord patterns.

In the case of The Wedge I would consider the Malagueña portion more of a quote or tribute than appropriation. Rock and Roll was still establishing its credibility at the time of The Wedge and this was a chance to show that a Rock player could play something from the “established” catalog. I don’t think that Dick Dale was ever sued for using the quote.

In jazz, artists “quote” another song all the time as part of their improvised solos. Usually, these quotes are fairly short, to just play an entire other song over the changes would miss the point, but just a passing quote is considered an homage to the original tune and an exhibition of improvisational skill. Maybe it’s nothing more than that.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

What's called Andalusian Cadence, Am, G F E etc. . .Is old progression from Spain in the 1500's (Gypsies before that). More than likely from the Middle East (Persian) Where Gypsies originated. They sold string instruments from Persia in Europe and taught the buyer how to play them and made money from performance in towns they visited etc...

Hundreds of Surf Instrumentals that use this very progression.

DeathTide wrote:

To me, that’s not at all the issue. Of course surf borrows riffs, but DD should have probably shared his songwriting credits, or at least acknowledged where that part came from.

It’s a real pickle with music and copyright laws!

Yeah actually early 60's Surf and Instrumental Rock borrowed heavily from Big Band Swing (being music teachers were heavily in to that genre) Many Surf Instrumentals were originally Big Band Swing numbers or derived from them.
Duane Eddy was really big with Surfers as well and heavily influenced players in developing the style.
Dick Dale developed his style from Big Band drummers like Gene Krupa. He used drumming techniques on the strings in a similar way.
1920's Hawaiian music influence Surf Music as well.

Surf has many influences in it as compared to many other forms. Its a mixed breed for sure.

SamDBL wrote:

I dunno... I hear extremely familiar melodies in surf stuff all the time. It’s kind of like the blues, in that way. In fact, so many surf tunes are based off of 12 bar blues progressions, but with different tempos and vibes.

Yeah its a mix of Big Band melodies with Blues arrangement etc. But even Big Band robbed a lot from Classical Music. Music is just recycled through the ages (nothing new under the Sun). The only change has been how technology change delivered or instruments performed on. The Biggest myth of all the Blues guitarist's started it all (the music developed from Civil War Music a.k.a. Irish Music)- hence folk music etc. post 1870's and used rhythms of African drumming to it etc...

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

What's called Andalusian Cadence, Am, G F E etc. . .Is old progression from Spain in the 1500's (Gypsies before that). More than likely from the Middle East (Persian) Where Gypsies originated. They sold string instruments from Persia in Europe and taught the buyer how to play them and made money from performance in towns they visited etc...

Hundreds of Surf Instrumentals that use this very progression.

^This!^

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

I’ve had some time to think about it, and I guess I’ve gone back to being undecided. Or rather, it’s case by case. In this case I’d say it’s clearly lifted note for note, but if it’s that common I suppose it’s okay not to share the credit.

Last year I adapted a folk song. It’s perfect for surf, but a) I could only really use the first two of its four parts, and b) it needed a few parts filled in. So I composed a simple intro, and a part 3 that is original, but totally sounds just like the rest of the song. It’s about 75% adapted (from a violin / piano piece), and 25% original. From the start I had never intended to claim it was not an adaptation, and in fact call it a straight cover, even though no one I’ve ever heard has done it in rock. But really it’s “a partial adaptation with original parts.”

Daniel Deathtide

Indeed, the Andalusian Cadence is everywhere. Del Shannon’s Runaway, Walk, Don’t Run, Stray Cat Strut and numerous others stretching back into history. One thing I like about Surf music is that it covers more than a little ground.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next