Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Opie-Lux BarneyVerb outboard tank

Page 1 of 1

I just acquired this 6g15 looking unit from craigslist and realized that while it's similar to a Fender unit, it does have at least one major difference, which is a fourth tube (a 6X4.) It seems to function and sound like a Fender unit so I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about this company or design in particular?

It's quite well made with top notch components and the only thing I plan to change is the reverb pan, to one with a shorter decay.

Hi there. It’s rectifier tube which works in he power supply not the audio signal path. The fender 6g15s use solid state rectification to accomplish this. I can’t make out any values on the board but the layout looks like it may have a few other tweaks that diviate from the original circuit. Have a nice day.

Ah! Yes, of course. Thank you for that enlightenment.

I've found that this unit does sound substantially different than my Fender reissue unit. I think the reverb tank itself plays a large part of that and I've been trying to find a suitable replacement but I'm also hoping some of you amp guys might be able to evaluate the component discrepancies and suggest how they might be changing its sound from the stock Fender layout.

I went through it, found each component where it differs, and marked them in this photo. Note that this unit is tube rectified and I haven't analyzed that part of it.

Also, the two resistors labeled here measured as shown, despite their color bands indicating they are 2.2M, but I'm not sure the measurements are accurate. It seems like I've read you have to remove them from the circuit to measure them accurately--is that right? It does make sense. I thought maybe the far ends of them were common so I was really measuring them in parallel but anyway, I don't know what I'm doing.

Here's a schematic showing the areas indicated in the photograph.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:28:45

I'll definitely make some various recordings for you when it's sorted. For now, you can check out the reverb pan comparison post I made to hear it at 6-6-6.

Interesting info about the voltage. It looks like the power transformer is different than stock Fender; it's a Hammond 269JX, 500VCT @ 60 mADC and 6.3V @ 2.5A.

One of the biggest differences in tone is that this one seems to retain a lot more low end than a Fender. I think this contributes to the sense that it isn't as drippy, since drip lives in the high end. I was wondering if those cap values in question are responsible.

I did an experiment with the unit to see if it would overdrive like the Fender reissue prior to my switch to a 6K6 wherein I put a Soul Food in front of it with the gain down but volume maxed and it didn't overdrive the tank. It seems quite robust and stable.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 15:19:32

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:28:38

Yeah, you're right. It is a pretty unique and rare piece and I should just leave it alone. Aside from the washy tank--that is just not usable for me.

I was hoping this would take the place of the reissue, since the reissue lets in so much interference from radio or whatever the hell it is. But I do also have 3 Surfy Bear kits waiting to be built.

So yes, the Opie-Lux will remain as-is. I wrote to his page in that link earlier and if he responds, I'll tell him his child is safe.

Page 1 of 1