Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Super Twin Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

HA! Dalibor definitely needs to be sentenced to playing on a Frontman for a while. I just got the final bit of excuse I needed to rid myself of my Frontman 212, in the form of a Peavey Bandit, so we don't even need to go searching.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:22:18

Tqi wrote:

No, you buy Woody's brownface Showman. Don't you dare buy this now. ;)

Well, Death Tide actually came to his senses and bought it. I owned it for over 20 years and it is a great amp but I don't play out often enough anymore to justify keeping it. He drove to Atlanta from New Orleans and back to pick it up the same day. He is a really cool guy and I'm happy that it has a great new caretaker who understands and appreciates what it is.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Heh. It’s true that my new friend in Hotlanta made my most wildest dream come true! I didn’t want to gank your thread. My heart actually flutters when I strike a note. One note. The reverb takes on a near-supernatural quality. It’s the most beautiful tone I’ve ever heard. When I’m at work and getting irritated I think of that tone, and a calm joy washes over my entire body.

Finding this forum has changed my life for the better! Last year, 2018, was one of my best years and it was the year I found SG101 and decided a SFTR suddenly wasn’t enough. I was gonna start a thread about that but decided against it.

Fyi - my tone, which you will all hear in a few months - is at the moment a combination of the ‘62 Showman (2x15 - soon D130fs), the ‘64 Showman (1x15 D130f tone ring), and the ‘70 Twin w/ D120fs. So it’s mostly brown, with some tinkly fullness brought in with the black, and then the silver is clean (no reverb) for clarity. That ‘70 TR really fills in the frequencies that the ‘63 reverb tank removes, and results in brilliant clarity with the reverb tank at 10-10-10!

Daniel Deathtide

If and when any of you can sound as great as Dalibor, you can then suggest an amp for him. Until then, show some respect for one of the best sounding guitarists on the planet.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:22:03

Tqi wrote:

Stormtiger wrote:

If and when any of you can sound as great as Dalibor, you can then suggest an amp for him. Until then, show some respect for one of the best sounding guitarists on the planet.

Other than a commenter in this thread, I have no idea who he is.

Go check out the Bambi Molestors

Stormtiger wrote:

People were joking in case you somehow didn't detect that. No one seriously suggested anything.

Nice rig, Death Tide. Are you planning to gig at the Superdome?

I dunno but I just scored a drip edge 69 twin for $350. Woohoo!

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

SamDBL wrote:

Thumbs Up That's a good score mate!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:21:42

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:21:34

Strat-o-rama wrote:

Nice rig, Death Tide. Are you planning to gig at the Superdome?

Heh. You never know, I know people. I've worked in there during an Essence Fest and the sound was horrible. Bouncing everyone, in and out of axis, WAY too many freqs around 40Hz, there was one place - it just so happened to be the sound / lighting booth where I was - that sounded almost normal. Awful.

I think acoustics like those are what helps make NO a fun town to play in - because there are so many tiny clubs with great acoustics. (I hate Republic tho, all 40Hz, all day.)

Truth is in the small-ish practice space and an on-purpose loud drummer, those three amps combine to surround the room, but not drown anyone out. It's pretty cool. Also, I can't really tell how "great" they sound because I refuse to damage my ears. So, turning them up with earplugs is a terrible way to tweak the tone. So, I play them at lower volumes and tweak the onboard EQs.

If I turn them up, I notice immediately that I have to dial down the highs and play with the lows. But I'm not really experiencing the whole "you need to crank a Showman to get the best sound" thing. I've pretty much just noticed that I need to tweak when I go from "bedroom" to "practice." I suppose I could put on gun range cans + the fancy set of Shure 535 IEM, put a mic on the cab and CRANK that mutha, and then play with tone.

SamDBL wrote:

Holy shit. Amazing. Craig's list?

Daniel Deathtide

SamDBL wrote:

Unreal... What's the catch? Never the less, congrats!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Craigslist, yeah. Not a ton of catches, although i javent gone through the amp it seems to,function fine. It was listed for $400, which i jumped on. I was second in line. The guy that came before me decided he didnt want such a heavy amp, and supposedly blew a speajer during the try out. So it was offered to me for $350. I snagged it. Fured it up at home, and both speakers work (!). Supposedly the reverb tank was replaced with a mojo one (the reverb is a little noisy). Its missing one of the back panels, and no footswitch. But I'm still quite happy with it. I didnt really need another twin. But I couldnt pass it up at this price. And ive never had a drip edge.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

Hey guys, that STR is still available... $700. I'm still not going to bite... Now, if it was an original blackface I'd jump across a river for it!

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 2