Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Centuries Full Album - Like Weird!

Page 1 of 1

Just found this while looking through Spotify. Looks like they put up a bandcamp page in July 2018 and I had not seen a post about it on here yet. Surf Music lovers will recognize their song "Outer Limits" from the wonderful Surf Creature comps. Here is the snippet from their Bandcamp page:

The most resonant room in the Newark Public Library in 1958 was the locker room where Gary Swangin practiced his singing. Swangin, a high school student who worked part time at the checkout desk, would often sneak away during breaks to hone his technique and work on an original song, “The Promise of Love”—until he got caught.

When coworker Salvatore Girgenti heard it echoing off the tile and steel, he was so taken that he suggested they play together. With Girgenti on rhythm guitar, they recruited the D’Amato brothers, Charles, who played drums standing up, and Peter on lead guitar.

D’Amato’s neighbor Francis Corragio brought virtuosity to their nascent band, at first playing an amplified upright bass. Corragio had started playing at eleven years old, and by the time of the Centuries he was taking lessons from members of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra and New York Philharmonic.

The library would prove crucial in another way. Swangin checked people’s books and bags as they exited the building, bringing him into contact with a wide range of folks—including Cleopatra Records’ Tommy Falcone.

By 1960, Swangin’s education at Rutgers University was taking priority and his musical ambitions were expanding.He... more
credits
released July 13, 2018 license

Here's a link

Jeremy

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 06:57:16

Ooooh nice find! Thanks for sharing

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Sure thing Hunter! This is also an interesting bit of history I had no idea about. Apparently Tommy Falcone is the guy behind Cleopatra Records and he is the one that produced this album. Very interesting!

Jeremy

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Nice! I just bought me a download. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

That's the one John! I think as bizarre as the title is, the first track is the best. Anniversary Hop doesn't make sense to me as a title, but the song is absolutely AMAZING!

https://numerocleopatra.bandcamp.com/track/anniversary-hop

Jeremy

"Anniversary Hop" is a version of an old standard called "Anniversary Song" that's been recorded by many people over the years including Al Jolson, Pat Boone, and Tom Jones, to name only three.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Thanks John! That clears that up! What a song. Love it!

Jeremy

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 18:28:45

Page 1 of 1