Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Need more drip

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Looking to get more drip out of my Fender Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb. I really love the drippy metallic sound of the springs with a shorter decay. Both these amps have really loooong decays and is fairly smooth. I prefer the more metallic springy sound.

I initially tried swapping the driver tubes (12at7). I tried an EHX long plate 12at7 and it made the recerb less metallic and smoother. I have two different Groove Tubes both labeled 12at7 premium. One is a short plate the other is long. I believe they are Chinese, and the long plate 12at7 produces the most metallic drip.

I’ve also tried two different long pans/tanks. A mod short decay and a Revisit. The revisit is smoother and shorter than stock and the mod is slightly more drippy.

I guess I’m looking for a shortcut (as opposed to seemingly endless experimentation) to get the tone I’m looking for. Does any one have any suggestions for the best pan/tank to use and 12at7 ???

Also would removing the tank from the bag and mounting it directly to the combo increase drip or would double bagging it increase it.

I recently tried a tweed blues junior that had terrific drip and and metallic spring sounding verb. I forgot to note the tube used but the tank is a short 3 spring medium decay. I know the circuit is different. It is also mounted direct to combo (not isolated in a bag).

I’d be real happy with this sound: https://youtu.be/EO_pOYfsJk4

Maybe I just need to get a stand alone unit.

https://youtu.be/02bIKMb5hj4

From your description, seems like you've exhausted the options for the built-in reverb. Even with mods to the driver and original 60's pan, it would be a hit and miss ordeal that may get you just a little closer but not really.

If you're after The Astronauts super drippy sound, there is no other answer - you'll need an external 6G15 circuit and 4AB3C1? pan, like the original '63 tanks. It has to hit the amp's input.

Luckily for you and all of us, a solid state replica has been created, it's called Surfy-Bear, and here's a huge thread about it, with tons of examples of implementation. Dive in! You can use your existing pans, or even install it inside your amp for convenience. DIY or buy a unit, it WILL get you there, tried and tested. Welcome to reverb heaven.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 11:47:48

I went through all this when I started my surf journey. Start with your deluxe reverb. Get an RCA to 1/4 inch adaptor. Take the return line from the reverb pan and plug it into the normal channel on your DR. You now have tone and volume control for the reverb. Use a clean boost, if you have one, in your guitar signal path to add a bit of brightness. This will really ramp up your reverb with what you have to work with. Very close to an outboard reverb without the dwell control. I'd start with the Revisit pan. Enjoy!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Wow. The Surfy looks very cool. Will defiantly Check out.

I just found this discussion.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/reverb-tank-cardboard-no-not-kidding.1229216/

I do have my revisit tank double bagged. So the tank is not directly touching the cardboard in the second bag. I’m going to try removing the extra bag to see if that makes a difference. If it does, even if it’s subtle I may try mounting the tank directly or replacing the cardboard with wood to see if that brightens up the drip.

I like the ideas this guy came up with to make a Fender Reverb pedal sound more like authentic drip of a Fender Tank Unit. So maybe the Tremolo and Slap echo pedal would work well with a built in amp tank etc..

I still think a real Tank as more something to it. But maybe the amp just needed turning up not sure really. ???

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 21:24:51

Ok I tried this out since I posted the above videos. I could not find the exact pedals but had a similar set up. I think its more than the pedals its the amp settings too. After fooling around a while I got some drip by accident. I could not get it for a while after I first heard it only one time (oooh what's that!) Then I noticed that hard picking muted notes bring out the slap-back drip way better. So its part technique playing and equipment (Ok here's a new field of research) To get the drip to come out you use the pick hand or palming technique to mute the notes. Also I was able to give some edge to it lightly fretting the note with various touches as well. I had headphones on and I think its part feedback as well so I could not get the full effect of a real Tank playing in a room with a amp etc. But its part technique in playing besides just gear changes etc. I would say the drip sound effect is about 50% playing technique and 50% equipment. Just making changes to equipment is only half the story.

One caveat to this, I was using my Avid Eleven Rack trying this out and many Surfers feel you have to have the real deal. But I did achieve some drip (Ok it could have been better)

I'm thinking the original Tank Reverb Unit had some circuit inside as a preset with a slap-back echo type effect and that's the big secret to this. And the 6 tubes added something to the magic as well. The Black Face amps didn't have all that. Or it could be the original tank had some electronic idiosyncrasy to them not intended but had that effect of some form of slap-back echo to it (But I think feed back is a small part of it and the muting of the strings as well to get that authentic sounding drip. I almost had it but like I said I had earphones on.

The emulator I used only had a Black Face Spring reverb modeling so I had no Dwell setting etc ...so that's a big part of the equation the Dwell and Feed-back as well. So I guess if your using a spring reverb inside an amp - then you have to find some pedal to give the same effect as Dwell I would imagine (Ok not sure what that would be yet?) I will have to work on this myself - Because I love The Astronauts Drip sound they had.

I never noticed how the drip pops out with muting (heavy muting on pick hand and light touching the fret hand. And you can vary the effect of the drip by changes pressure wise etc - so I have to work on my playing I guess and look up equipment as well. This is like a whole new study for me Laughing

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 07:58:23

I keep pushing the envelope to max out my drip and what I have been noticing is both all of the above but lately I have been more aware that the brightness and pronouncement of the drip changes depending on where I am plucking the string in association with the pickups. On my strat, plucking just to the left of the middle pickup seems to produce the most pronounced drip. Does this have anything to do with magnetic fields or something? I don't know, I'm not an audio engineer. I do know that my clean boost has a slight amount of treble boost to it and I leave it on all the time set very low.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I will have to try that string location thing stradancer Smile

Yeah I'm not sure being I just realized all this, but I think you have something there being my Jaguar sounds best when I pick near the bass pickup near the neck etc...I usually just pick slightly behind it. I just get more out of it that way. I imagine the pickups have something to do with it too. Its all Alchemy at this point. Takes skill from practicing all this I think.

Does the drip change varying distance from the amp or volume even? (If it does that would prove my feed-back theory) Its some small part it It I think - I don/t know ????

I found that dialing down the tone (or volume) on the guitar can help immensely. Try it!

The Surfy Bear is great. I found drip to only happen with a strat and JM, but with the jaguar it wouldn’t happen...

Daniel Deathtide

Yeah The Jaguar is hard I think because the string length is shorter etc - does that tie in with what stradance is saying about picking at different location on the string ? So string length effects it too and even where you pick on the string (that makes sense to me) - Ok can we pick higher up on top of the neck as well - does that do anything (going to try that) I think I saw a Surfer do that once now that think about it on YouTube - he was a real early 60's player. So this may be some secret field of research here. Dunno.

I seems to me any pedal can possibly get drip if you have the right slap- echo type effect before it. (If you already have a Reissue Fender Tank or pedal or whatever (homemade) or a SurfieBear etc) I think all we have to do is put a slap-echo pedal in the loop somewhere to get some good drip) They probably screwed up the Fender Tank when CBS took over in 1965 or many be before the deal when through Fender made changes in manufacturing cost or changed the design in wiring that eliminated the slap-echo effect somehow - Is that why the Reissues are not as good - I'm just guessing that's the case. I'm going to try this someday.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 09:11:27

Drip is a naturally occurring phenomenon on actual reverb devices (as opposed to modeled reverb, where it might be a subroutine of the modeling). It’s basically a regeneration of the signal when it gets to the end of the spring and comes back the other way. It also occurs with plate reverbs, albeit with a somewhat different attack. It’s, essentially, a slapback, but confined to the wet reverb signal, as opposed to slapback from a tape delay, magnetic drum delay, etc. which is a regeneration of the entire signal.

Drip will be less noticeable if the strings aren’t muted. It can easily be buried in the mix, but if the decay of the notes is abbreviated by muting, it jumps right out of the mix. There’s no magic required, no special circuit, etc.

Dwell is simply a control which governs how hard the signal hits the springs. External reverbs, such as the original tanks, have more parameters which can be set, the aforementioned Dwell; Mix,which is the ratio of dry to wet signal; Tone, which is a filter to allow the highs of the wet signal to be cut, if desired.

Built in reverb tends not to sound just like a tank, because it occurs in a different place along the signal path. A tanks acts as a preamp, of sorts, and drives the front end of the amp harder. The signal reaches the amp with the reverb already present. The sound of many First Wave Surf recordings was the sound of an original Fender tank being driven into a Brownface Showman. That’s not easy to duplicate, hardware-wise, because finding an original Showman is not so easy to do, in our day. Of course, with any studio recording, there may be studio effects in the mix as well and these are not likely to be well documented.

The Blackface Fender sound is different, in that the midrange is a bit less strong. If we think of the Showman as an amp from 1960 and the 6G15 reverb as being from 1961, then the Blackface amps (1964) were developed as a follow-on to that era. Leo Fender listened to his customers and tried to anticipate their wishes. The Blackface amps somewhat distilled the Surf sound, but it changed one aspect of it, subtly scooping the midrange.

I doubt that Leo ever gave much, if any, thought to the effect that putting reverb onboard the Blackface would have upon the Surf Guitar, world. He probably was thinking in terms of creating a product that would give players reverb and a bright sound. And he succeeded; the Blackface series remain a huge success story to this day. It’s also the sound that became all but ubiquitous in Country music. It’s the sound of Buck and the Buckaroos, Waylon Jennings and many others. A Tele through a Blackface Fender with the internal reverb at 4 or above is a quick ticket to that sound.

But it did change the sounds available to Surf players buying new gear. By the time I started playing in 1966, an up and coming player was probably going to be using a Blackface or Silverface Fender if they were seeking the bright, twangy sounds. I’m not a purist, and don’t criticize this sound as a substitute. A Blackface, especially one with a midrange control, can get a great sound, even if it’s not exactly a Brownface sound.

As I am increasingly fond of saying, I don’t chase tone. I may approximate the sound of a certain recording, but I don’t seek to replicate it. When I play Surf, it doesn’t sound like The Astronauts, never will and I’m not troubled by that in the slightest. I take ownership of my sound and, as long as the audience is pleased, so am I.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks for the info synchro. I did notice that if I released the mute fast I got a bigger pop on the drip - so you have something there and my modeling probably stuffs the drip quite a bit- but I got the effect even though its sure not up to a real Fender Tank from 63 that's for sure.

Yeah I don't know really - I think the muting thing definitely is part of the equation with the actual varying of the intensity of the drip. Smile

So I'm back to the original posters question of " Looking to get more drip out of my Fender Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb. I really love the drippy metallic sound of the springs with a shorter decay. Both these amps have really loooong decays and is fairly smooth. I prefer the more metallic springy sound" - yeah wow do you get that? if its not part technique like I think and maybe some secret wiring please share with us.

I actually at one point was going to buy a 1967 Fender Dual Showmen years ago, but it needed some work and I was in first grade when it was made so I had reliability issues with old gear like this.

Another issue I have is how long will a Showmen last anyway? Some already outlasted the players and will these units still be used in another 55 years etc or will spare parts run out eventually? (How many JBL 15's will be left by then). Surf music could die if we all relied on old Fender amps etc. That's the only issue I have with them. Yes I know they sound better - but for how long though? And what if I play everyday - how long will that last? I live on the east coast far away from any service on Fender's old stuff it seems like. Some swear you have to have original 1960's JBL speakers etc - that has to be running low by now - so then your stuck with rebuilt ones (how long will that continue even?

But recently made new products seem to disappear just as fast with all the turmoil in musical instrument sales and bankruptcies. I guess I'm thinking of servicing issues or will have to fix it myself when needed.

But back to the original question of this thread

" Looking to get more drip out of my Fender Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb. I really love the drippy metallic sound of the springs with a shorter decay. Both these amps have really loooong decays and is fairly smooth. I prefer the more metallic springy sound"

Sounds like a 1963 Tank Reverb Unit is the answer or a SurfieBear or something like that or a Slap-Echo pedal mated with a Fender reverb 65 pedal or something like that or do you just need to use the Slap-Echo with the internal spring? Is that a option?

This is a expensive option being SurfieBear goes for like $ 450 and change and a Tank runs about $ 800. My issue is I thinking of back up options on stage - so do I need two of each to keep the show rolling if something blows? Shock Has anyone lost sound on stage ?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 11:09:11

Surfer_Joe_1961 wrote:

Thanks for the info synchro. I did notice that if I released the mute fast I got a bigger pop on the drip - so you have something there and my modeling probably stuffs the drip quit a bit- but I got the effect even though its sure not up to a real Fender Tank from 63 that's for sure.

Yeah I don't know really - I think the muting thing definitely is part of the equation with the actual varying of the intensity of the drip. I'll be back Smile

If you look up 60 Cycle Hum on YouTube, there are some fairly exhaustive discussions of reverb, drip and comparisons of various reverb pedals. I don’t always come to the same conclusions, but I certainly respect his opinions. The publisher of 60 Cycle Hum is a member here, but I can’t remember his username here at Surf 101.

Anyhow, it’s a great source of infrmation. One point he makes is that drip is frequently emulated using “pre delay”. Pre delay is hard to explain unless some terms are defined. Reverb is not echo, it is the collision of echos which would happen if you were standing in a room and heard the echos bouncing off of different walls, and reflecting back at different intervals. It is, to coin a term, a “chaotic” effect.

With that in mind, pre delay is to time factor of the first echo, which would be governed by the physical size of the room. Obviously, a larger room would have a more noticeable echo, and while reverb is not echo, it is a side effect of echo. The thing is, drip is not pre delay, it is, to the best of my knowledge, an effect of reverb reflecting when it hits the end of the spring (or plate), so pre delay is not the real thing.

It all reduces to emulation versus the real thing. If you want the real thing, get a tank, or IMHO, a Surfy Bear which is essentially a tank driven by an FET amplifier, instead of a tube amplifier. Field Effect Transistors have long been known to be more tube-like, in sound and response than the BJTs (Bipolar Junction Transistors) more commonly used in solid state amps. I have a tube tank, already, but I’d probably not bother to buy one if I had it to do over again, because the Surfy Bear is more than adequate to the task.

The reverbs in the Spring Reverb Shootout video all had plenty to recommend them. The Gomez sounded great, likewise the Surfy Bear. The Strymon Flint was a pleasant surprise, although I got the impression it was set to drive a bit harder than the other devices tested. Even the much maligned FRV-1 sounded surprisingly good and dripped like all get out.

Thanks for the link to "60 Cycle Hum on YouTube" This video was interesting - the drip - not quite as good as the real thing it sounds like to me.

Ok can you use a reverb or slap-echo after this pedal below ...would that work just reversing the chain ???? There is no diagram of the pedal chain arrangement on the bottom video etc...so maybe I had the order wrong ???

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 11:04:09

if You are looking for drip on the cheap, I’d suggest a Catalinbread Topanga and/or a TC Electronic Hall of Fame. With some of the Spring Reverb TonePrints, a Hall of Fame can sound pretty good. Both pedals are DSPs, BTW. I’ve experimented with this considerably and usually end up back at the Topanga, or the Topanga feeding another reverb.

Ok....let's cut to the chase. You want drip: if budget is not an issue, get an outboard tank (a 6G15 boutique clone like a Nocturne F Bomb, Zoom Little Kahuna, etc or a used Fender reissue and change out the 6V6 for a NOS 6K6) or a Surfy Bear (which will be a good bit less $$$ than tube unit clones and is truly low maintenance and pretty bulletproof).
On a budget and want the advantage of portability, then a good reverb pedal could get the job done. Based upon multiple demos, reviews, etc the best one to my ears so far has been the Electro Harmonix Oceans 11. Tons of drip and doesn't seem to suffer from some of the digital modeling ills of other reverb pedals. Usually $147.00 out the door and has a bunch of other really excellent sounding reverb tones on board.....but most importantly has "the drip". I would stay away from the Boss "63" 6G15 pedal. I have one and while it does do plenty of drip, it filters out OD and distortion pedals and there is something that doesn't sound quite right with the drip too.

Hey they sound nice Surfadelphia - thanks for the heads up

https://www.thenocturnebrain.com/products/f-bomb-63
They have a nice amp head - like the Showmen I guess - Nice stuff - I guess like the Gomez gear ???

Good suggestions from some experienced experts. Donjoi, You can fiddle with peddles all you want, but will never be there 100 percent. Save up some bucks and get a tank or Surfy. Personally, I go Strat into Deluxe Memory Man into '63 Reissue tank into amp. I use very little echo (it's like cooking, the right amount of spice...but not too much), but set the volume to drive the tank a bit...as a booster/preamp. I get edge of break-up without the audience going deaf, and glorious range of reverb, including metallic drip. And yes. Where you pick has an effect on the reverb.
edited for bad typing

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019 14:02:33

been away for a bit...lot's of great info! Thanks!

Getting back to my inquiry...I have been experimenting with different 12at7 tubes in the reverb driver spot and they do change the tone of the reverb. Some more drip than others. I still have a NOS Jan Phillips to try and will post my findings for anyone interested.

Outside of fine tuning the built-in reverb, I agree a standalone will be the best/ultimate option. Looking at building one of them Surfybear's.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next