Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Whats the deal with "Del"?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

The "Del" thing is definitely related to the Spanish term often used in Spanish toponyms (place names - yeah, I'm a geek who actually uses that word). So Skeeter was spot on about the linguistic origin because "del" shows up in a number of California place names, like "del Mar"). You also see the Japanese guitar company Teisco using it in their guitar brand Teisco Del Rey.

And you also get that overlap between the pronunciations of Dale, Del, and Dell. For Southerners, these can be interchangeable. I have a cousin whose name is Dell, but it's pronounce "Dale". So Dick Dale and the Del-Tones makes the backing band name an obvious reference to his last name while at the same time referencing California places.

edwardsand wrote:

...So Dick Dale and the Del-Tones makes the backing band name an obvious reference to his last name while at the same time referencing California places.

"Del" naming applies twice to Dick Dale and the Del-Tones because his actual family name is Monsour. Dale is his stage name.

One more 60s band with del naming: Reparata and the Delrons. They were an all-girl doo-wop group from my town (Brooklyn NY) with a couple of minor hits.

The world is waiting for The Del-dells, probably from Wisconsin.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018 14:02:43

Ha, nice discussion. Well, I don't know where or how the use of "Del" originated but when I came up with the band name “The Delstroyers” I can tell you what I was thinking at the time. Really, it was just two things and the first being that I wanted the name to have a nod to the first-wave bands. We love that stuff and it’s the root of everything since. Yes, things like “Del-Fi Records” and “The Del-Tones” and such fed into it for sure. I always figured that the influence in California came from Mexico - people of Mexican origin living in California who were part of the origins of surf music. The white bands mainly had hits and got famous, but there’s no doubt there were amazing instrumental bands made up of Mexican-American players. Al Garcia and the Rhythm Kings dating back to 1959 (and still going!) from Bakersfield comes to mind and this record for example: https://www.discogs.com/The-Rhythm-Kings-Dave-Myers-The-Surftones-The-Winners-Of-The-18-Band-Surf-Battle/release/7277038 So yeah, a heavy nod to first-wave was part 1.

The second ingredient was that Dre and I have been playing together since high school and we both grew up rocker kids. Hard rock is in our blood. I was an avid Kiss addict by 5 years old and saw them in ‘79 in Seattle at 8. I grew up with 3 older brothers so that meant a lot of Zep, Stones, Kinks, Black Sabbath, etc. in my house all the time. Then the 80s hit and it was Maiden, Dio, Metallica, Merciful Fate, Metal Church, Queensryche, Van Halen, and so on. So in the mid-80s, that’s the kind of stuff we were playing as teenagers. My best friend Jason was a punk and also turning me on to Sex Pistols, Surf Punks, etc. For Dre, he was/is nutso about Angus Young and early AC/DC still blows our minds... In the 90s we did the grunge thing in Seattle hardcore at which time in the middle of that by chance I discovered the mid-90s surf bands like Man...or Astroman?, The Ghastly Ones, The Bomboras, Satan’s Pilgrims, etc. "What the heck is this?!" Then, grunge was over so we got real jobs and Dre and I worked together for 13 years and from that time in the mid-90's we plotted to start a surf band. We knew it would be “rocked up” as it’s just in our background, but we love it all and the name needed to be one part nod to surf history where the "Del" came from and one part...a bit meaner heh. Putting a hyphen in the name just looked wrong (Del-Stroyers...nah) so we left it out.

So there you have it - everything you ever wanted to know about the origins of the band name lolz. Big Grin Cheers

Skins for The Delstroyers

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018 12:24:58

As another member of a "Del" surf band - albeit an unknown, immaterial and inconsequential one - I can confirm that the Del-Tones, Del Shannon and other elements ("Delements"?) mentioned here provided significant initial influences on first considering using it in our band name, since the cool factor of the first two references can't be denied!

But alas not everyone was sold on it. It wasn't until the final piece of the puzzle was brought into place that the deal was sealed... as any true So Cal watermin knows, the significant cultural and nutritional contributions of Del Taco are too strong to ignore. So like the pull of the moon on the tide, adding the allure and mystique of this revered institution of sustenance sealed the deal...and it came to pass that the Del Quads were so named (the constant lack of a fourth, and sometimes even third, member made the name all the more tonque-in-cheek).

Plus, as everyone knows, Del Taco totally dogs Taco Bell!!!!

Offered as further evidence of the weight of the fast-food theme: the only Mexican-sty'le chain that dogs Del Taco is El Pollo Loco, and it comes as no surprise that a much more recent (and far better) band took influence from that name, merging the Pollo element with Del and adding some Mar-related mojo for good measure!

If an army travels on its stomach, starving surf musicians travel on burrito wrappers...

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018 15:13:43

Hello all SG101ers - first post here, but I've been lurking for quite some time. Interesting Del-Topic. I guess I was driven to finally post as I'm a member of this dubious organization:

Ha! Del-Bastards has a nice ring to it.

A very intriguing first post - now I want more details about your dubious organization!

nukebuick wrote:

Hello all SG101ers - first post here, but I've been lurking for quite some time. Interesting Del-Topic. I guess I was driven to finally post as I'm a member of this dubious organization:

From past me to future you

Thanks! Well, now that the statute of limitations is up, classified details can now be revealed!

Del-Bastards is a loose surf conglomerate from Houston, established 1995. Tunes: a number of originals, plus the usual covers and whatever else floats by. Gigs? Not many, unfortunately. But we persist, if for no other reason than to exercise the offsets and reverb tanks.

A good name for an all girl surf group would be The Delta-ta's.

HEY THERE, HI THERE, HO THERE !!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2