Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Any interest in doing a community vinyl compilation?

Page 1 of 1

I mentioned this in the mp3 comp thread. I love the annual comp this site does. But I was floating the idea of doing a vinyl released comp of surf/instrumental bands from here. Vinyl is a fairly expensive format to make. But If we had 14 or 15 bands on the comp, with each pitching in $$ crowdfunding style, the cost may not be exorbitant split that many ways. I am in other bands, and vinyl sells well at shows. So this would probably most useful for bands that play out live and want something cooler than a cd to sell. Also, vinyl is just a cool format for display and collecting.

Anyway, pm me if at all interested. There may not be enough people on board with the idea to make it work. But if so, here it is. I’d be happy to organize it.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018 08:56:26

The compilation is done for fun. There are many bedroom players and demo (and sub-demo) quality tracks in each compilation. That's fine and awesome and kind of the point of the whole thing. Would you want those tracks on a "real" vinyl release? Who is going to decide what tracks to toss? Will the knowledge of someone releasing the compilation on vinyl discourage beginners and bedroom players from participating?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This would also be done for fun. As long as the recording quality is passable (I’ve never heard a song on the mp3 comp that wasn’t), it would qualify, IMO. All would be welcome, until the spots ran out. However, I’d think that the need for a financial contribution to the manufacture of the release would tend to lure in players and/or bands that are slightly more serious and play out. There seem to be plenty of those folks on here, as well. Or maybe someone just wants to be on a record. It’s just an idea for any interested. Split the cost equally, be as democratic as possible with decisions like cover design and such, and then distribute the finished result evenly among the participants to do with as they see fit. If no one is down, that’s totally fine, as well. Just throwing it out there.

I love and, in most cases, prefer vinyl. However, if the recordings weren't produced with vinyl sound reproduction in mind (which likely applies to all of them), I tend to suspect we wouldn't be getting the most out of the vinyl format and the sound quality would be suboptimal.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018 10:14:32

My band puts out a vinyl release every time we have released an album for the last 25 years. There is no special treatment for the recording for vinyl beyond having it mastered as such. Which any official release would have to have done, anyway. Mastering all the songs so they have similar volumes and eq is done on any multiple artist comp. Recordings are typically done 24 bit, and then smashed down to 16 during mastering for either cd or mp3 release. A vinyl mastering would leave it at the higher resolution. This would all fall under the banner of manufacturing cost.

What about the Phantom Surfers or The Trashwomen? Would you consider those to be "of vinyl quality?" (I do, it's the best kind!)

I do think it's not a bad idea to limit the bands to actual current bands, rather than home recording bands.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

What about the Phantom Surfers or The Trashwomen? Would you consider those to be "of vinyl quality?" (I do, it's the best kind!)

I do think it's not a bad idea to limit the bands to actual current bands, rather than home recording bands.

Put it this way: If I can't tell by hearing it if it was recorded by a guy in his bedroom or a raging band in a pro studio, it's fine. And of course, 'garage-y'/Link Wray/Trashmen production values would be accounted for. And truthfully, anything can be released on vinyl. A compilation of many bands is bound to have variances in the recording quality to some degree. Although I (and probably most everyone involved) would want it to sound professional, the point of this, IMO, would be less about showcasing the supposed superior uncompressed, pristine audio to audiophiles, and more about releasing a slightly more 'official' release on a cool format that is collectible, more easily sold (if that's what you're going for), displayable, than putting stuff on the internet (which is totally cool, and extremely appreciated, btw). This would be strictly for folks that want to take the sg101 comp idea to the next level, I suppose (although this is just my idea, not involving or sanctioned by sg101). It would take more effort, time, and money. But the end result could be very satisfying. That's all. If people want to do some such, we can work out the details together.

My opinion is no. I have every compilation since inception. I value them highly. To remove the ease of which Brian handles them and then I download them is part of the magic. A record won't change that value or change the memories of the interactions with the various bands or members that have provided the tracks. The family of SG101 is what's been memorable. IMHO. Smile

I've gotten several emails and a couple PM's about it of people wanting to do it. To be clear, I'm just presenting this to the community. This has nothing to do with with SG101 beyond that (In fact, I wish I could change the title of the thread). So there is no need for competitiveness or defensiveness. I am not saying this is cooler or better than the mp3 comp. It's just something else fun to do (or not). If enough people decide they want to do it that it is feasible, then we will. If you don't want to do it, don't.
Part of my thought process is that I have a great song recorded. I don't really want to put it up on the mp3 comp due to the rule that it can't be released, elsewhere. And I want it exposed and available to as many people as possible. My alternative options are to pay CD baby $80+ to get it on all the streaming outlets. An even better option, to me, would be to have it on a vinyl release as well, with other great bands. For whatever 'scene' there is for this kind of music, a compilation with that sort of packaging would garner some attention, maybe. My plan is to eventually have a full length of material, and it will most certainly be available on vinyl. But for the time being, I have this one song. And I want it 'out there' in as many ways possible. Perhaps others are in a similar boat? I dunno.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018 16:49:43

wfoguy wrote:

My opinion is no. I have every compilation since inception. I value them highly. To remove the ease of which Brian handles them and then I download them is part of the magic. A record won't change that value or change the memories of the interactions with the various bands or members that have provided the tracks. The family of SG101 is what's been memorable. IMHO. Smile

You know, I completely agree with you. Part of the magic is that everyone is included, which would be impossible with vinyl.

Daniel Deathtide

Hmmmm. I really think this is being taken in a weird way. As if I said 'instead of.,.' Or 'in place of...' Or 'woild you rather...'. This, literally, has nothing to do with the sg101 mp3 comp. I hereby beg the moderators to remove the sg101 reference in the title to a avoid confusion. I only mentioned it as an illustrative point of reference. This is an unrelated release. If you want to do it, do it. If you dont want to, dont. We only need a couple more bands at this point. If you are offended by the notion, I apologize. I also dont get it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018 18:43:28

I'm sorry, but I have to jump in and help SamDBL. There is a misunderstanding of his proposal resulting from its proximity to the SG101 annual compilation discussion.

*SAMDBL'S PROPOSAL IS UNRELATED TO THE SG1O1 ANNUAL COMPILATION.*

That was implicitly obvious from his original post.

There are a host of issues with the proposal and associating it with SG101, but those issues are - again - unrelated to the annual compilation.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to make this proposal and solicit feedback. But the feedback should be about SamDBL's proposal. Smile

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018 19:46:30

h3dg3h0g wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to jump in and help SamDBL. There is a misunderstanding of his proposal resulting from its proximity to the SG101 annual compilation discussion.

*SAMDBL'S PROPOSAL IS UNRELATED TO THE SG1O1 ANNUAL COMPILATION.*

That was implicitly obvious from his original post.

There are a host of issues with the proposal and associating it with SG101, but those issues are - again - unrelated to the annual compilation.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to make this proposal and solicit feedback. But the feedback should be about SamDBL's proposal. Smile

Yes, this exactly. The mp3 comp stirred my imagination. And this is the biggest online community of this type of music, so it made sense to float the idea here. But, other than those two things, it's not officially related to SG101 or the SG101 mp3 comp in any way at all. Perhaps my mistake for addressing it so closely, causing people to misconstrue my intent.

SamDBL wrote:

But I was floating the idea of doing a vinyl released comp of surf/instrumental bands from here.

My bad, I somehow leaped to the conclusion that you wanted to put the member's comp on vinyl, probably because of your similar post in the MP3 comp thread. Putting out a vinyl comp of some of the bands that frequent here is something completely different! Sorry!

You can edit your post including the thread title by clicking the little edit icon icon in the lower right of your first post.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Oopsies! Sorry I too made that connection. I love the idea, and I think it should be carefully curated!

Daniel Deathtide

This is a cool idea.
The Tentakills may be interested in jumping on, but a ballpark idea of $ required to invest would be great, once you have enough bands committed proceed with the project.

I've never released anything on vinyl, I'm not sure of the costs involved.

It's all good. Admittedly, the vinyl things I've released have been handled and paid for by whatever record label I've been on at the time. But I have a lot of friends that run independent record labels themselves. I know the process and general costs.

For a limited run of 500, we are probably looking at approx $3400.
That would cover the manufacture of the vinyl, sleeves, and jackets. A small budget for cover art. As well as the mastering process fee for all the bands, and probably shipping out to each participant.

If we involved 14 bands, that'd be about $245 each. Each band would get 35 copies. This is a quote for fairly basic options (black vinyl, black and white inner sleeve and label). Price would increase if we wanted colored vinyl, or some fancy labels, a more expensive cover artist, etc. Anyway, all things that'd be discussed if this actually looked like it could become a reality. But that's a rough idea.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018 20:24:18

Thanks for that. The Tentakills are interested.

Page 1 of 1