Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 1996 MIJ Jaguar MJT build

Page 1 of 1

I built this Jaguar over the past couple months:

It started life as this:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018 10:43:57

Various stages of assembly:

I'm running the Vintage '65 pickups, along with extensive shielding... this thing is dead quiet. It's unbelievable.

Also equipped with a Mastery bridge and Stay Trem tremolo... which I think I got just in time before they stopped US shipments.

A friend of mine that I played in a band with for a few years is a tech at GC, he helped me out with a bit of the setup. Added a small shim to get more angle across the bridge while still having decent action.

The guitar stays tune well, but I'm not thrashing the trem hard. I never use the rhythm circuit, I'm always in lead with both pickups on. I've switched up to just the bridge pickup on a few songs, but I do that sparingly.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018 10:59:50

Nice, congrats! What's that Sunburst body in the background?
Thanks,
Ran

The Scimitars

kick_the_reverb wrote:

Nice, congrats! What's that Sunburst body in the background?
Thanks,
Ran

That’s the original ‘96 MIJ Jag body. I bought the blue body and swapped parts from the burst guitar to the blue guitar.

Got it, thanks!

The Scimitars

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018 22:24:53

Extra body? Time to build another guitar!

That new color is fantastic. Good choice. That's one bad cat. And my god, that red tort guard was horrific...

Very nice! I like the color a lot as well. That other body was not a good version of sunburst.

I noticed you used a capo to keep the strings in place - first time I've seen that trick, and it's a good one (maybe everyone already knew except me?). I've been wrapping the strings with painters tape to remove the neck and keep the strings in place, but won't have to by using the capo. However, you can also use painters tape to keep the strings in order down at the tremolo unit.

Very cool! Did you paint the headstock and body or did they come pre-finished?

Guitarist for Wolfhand and The Donner Beach Party.

This body was finished that way by MJT. I got a great deal on the body, so I sent my neck in to the company have the headstock painted to match the body.

SPOT ON!

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:16:49

Squier Jaguar necks will definitely fit Fender bodies, and in general all 24" scale Fender or Squier necks are interchangeable. Just watch out for Jagmaster necks because some were 24" and some were 25.5".

Also keep in mind the Squier Jag necks have medium jumbo frets and a 9.5" radius.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:17:08

Good points - I forgot about the Jagmaster and Duo Sonic conversion necks. The Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar and Mustang necks were the main ones I had in mind. Don't know about compatibility of the Bullet HH Mustang neck yet - it was originally listed as 24.75" but seems to be corrected to 24" now.

For quite some time I was looking for affordable 24" necks for various projects and I'm certainly glad there are a number of options out there.

I think I'm done building guitars for a while now.

I've got a Strat ('95 ASLE in CAR w/matching headstock) as a backup, and if I can't get through a gig with those two guitars then I've got issues haha.

That sunburst body is actually in the hands of a local builder who's going to fashion his own take on a Jag.

That build looks awesome. An aged LPB Jaguar like that is one of the best looking Fenders, IMO.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Page 1 of 1