Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink SOLD

Page 1 of 1

Hermida Audio / Lovepedal Tiki Drive
Exc+ Condition SOLD

https://i.imgur.com/OZGePOd.jpg

From the manufacturer
"TIKI DRIVE A LOOK UNDER THE HOOD
I recall a few years ago receiving a call from Elliot Easton (The Cars). He wanted me to develop a pedal that would allow him to use clean amplifiers on the road and still be able to get his overdriven/distorted sound. I asked him extensively about the type of guitars, pickups and pedals he was using at the time and the type of amplifiers he was trying to emulate. We came to the conclusion that a multiple gain stage pedal was needed to get the levels of distortion he was looking for..

Before the conversation with Elliot I had experimented with overdrive/distortion dual gain stage pedals for some time. There are many ways to design multiple stages (these days the use of JFET or Mosfet transistors at each stage is a common approach). In terms of configuration, one of the simplest ways is to follow the approach taken by tube amps. In a tube amp each amplification stage has its own voicing and gain characteristics and are connected in series. Since the gain on each stage is fixed, some of the stages will have a level control to adjust the amount of signal to be sent to the next stage. This allows the amp to be used to amplify, overdrive or distort the guitar sound..

Before the conversation with Elliot I had experimented with overdrive/distortion dual gain stage pedals for some time. There are many ways to design multiple stages (these days the use of JFET or Mosfet transistors at each stage is a common approach). In terms of configuration, one of the simplest ways is to follow the approach taken by tube amps. In a tube amp each amplification stage has its own voicing and gain characteristics and are connected in series. Since the gain on each stage is fixed, some of the stages will have a level control to adjust the amount of signal to be sent to the next stage. This allows the amp to be used to amplify, overdrive or distort the guitar sound.

After sending various prototypes to Elliot for a many months he chose the current Tiki Drive design. He proved to be a very tough customer but at the end it was worth it. 

My tip to Tiki Drive users: don't be in a hurry to find the sweet spot on the pedal. The controls on the pedal are highly interactive and will allow many different sounds. This makes the pedal extremely versatile."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 09:47:58

Page 1 of 1