Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Gretsch Streamliner anyone?

Page 1 of 1

Anyone have one of these ceneterblock Gretsch Streamliners? Comes is three models, one of which is a bit like a 335, one like a 339, and one is a fuller-bodied version like a more traditional Gretsch.

Am hankering for a semi-/full hollow-body guitar, and these look like they could fit the bill.

Sean

Although it's not a Streamliner, I have an Electromatic 5622T Centerblock.
It is a great guitar. It is very resistant to feedback. I can play Davie Allan songs on it, and although it feels like it is about to explode with that much fuzz, it feeds back no more than my solidbody. I don't know where the Streamliners are made but mine was built in Korea and was nearly flawless.
Below is a clip of the guitar. There is some fuzz on the 2nd verse.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

This post is over a month old but I will answer anyway in case anyone else is interested Big Grin
I have a 2622t which is comparable to an 335 in size. It is a proper Gretsch, but there are a few points you have to be aware of. First, the broadtron pickups are humbuckers and a lot closer in sound to an LP than the filtertrons in the more expensive models. The guitar is made in Vietnam and the build quality is very good. The frets did not need any work at all, the neck is excellent. No buzzing at all even after lowering the action quite a bit. The tuners were less stellar, I replaced them with Kluson mbg33n 90 back lock models which are drop-in replacements.
I did have tuning issues with the bigsby. In the end I installed a biggsfix which did solve the problems. Other people have replaced the bridge, but for me this was what worked.

I did replace the ugly yellow plastic knobs and the plastic switch tip for chrome replica knobs I got from aliexpress.

Somehow I missed this one, but being a Gretsch guy from the word go, I’ll chime in. The Streamliners are good instruments, but they are probably not the way to go if you want that classic Gretsch sound. Gretsch Filtertrons are a mini humbucker with a focused sound and a bit of chime. The Broadtrons, as Rivulus pointed out, are more on the order of a Gibson humbucker and won’t sound the same.

I play Surf on a Gretsch and get a sound I find pleasing, but I use TV Jones Supertrons or DuoTron pickups, both os which are focused, a bit gainy, and have a certain chime. They produce the sixties Chet Atkins sound and this can be adapted to Surf.

I would think that a Streamliner with a center block is probably going to sound more like an ES-335. I’ve heard a 335 used for Surf and it’s not a bad sound, but it’s not the Classic Surf sound, at all.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I own the full hollowbody 2420. It's a great guitar! Well made, plays fantastic with flat wound 11s. You can get the 2420T that comes with a Bigsby. Not a 'classic' Gretsch sound because of the Broadtron pickups, but I think they sound really good and are versatile!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019 14:30:00

Here's an update on my Gretsch. Aftermarket GFS tremolo. Easy to install. Works great! Looks great!

Last edited: Feb 09, 2019 09:22:09

that GFS trem is like the trems on 60s German or Jap guitars.

Personally I'm a big fan of Guilds. I have three of them. You can grab a USA made second hand for the price of a new Streamliner if you look properly.

Replaced the ugly gold colored knobs with chrome Gretsch knobs. Much better!

I currently play a 6120 my father passed down to me. It’s my current favorite for surf. I have a Squire Strat I reserrected from a trash can, literally. But the Strat feels small. I’m 6-4. The Grestch and my G & L Asat fit better. I have played the Streamliner and the Angelico 335’s and was planning on getting one when the 6120 came my way.

Jimbo

Still trying to get used to the forum. It’s a little buggy on my iPhone.

Jimbo

@Blue J--great looking Gretsch! Gold hardware sets it off nicely!

Blue_J wrote:

Still trying to get used to the forum. It’s a little buggy on my iPhone.

IMO, the 6120 is a great Surf axe.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I agree. I use my 6120 As my main surf guitar. I also have a AVRI 65 strat but prefer the Gretsch!

Page 1 of 1