Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Paul Johnson Benefit Concert

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Mark your calendars: Sunday, December 9, 2018 at the Gaslamp in Long Beach, California (http://www.gaslamplongbeach.com/). Doors at 4pm, bands from 4:30 until 10. Lineup will be announced soon along with special guests. Please plan to attend this very special evening of music for Paul Johnson to help with expenses for his continuing fight against leukemia.

A GoFundMe page has also been set up to help PJ. Full news story here:

https://surfguitar101.com/news/story/1363/

Stay tuned...and mark your calendars.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Any more details ready?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Watch this space. Should have all the details on the Paul Johnson Benefit this coming week. If you have not already done so, please contribute to PJ's GoFundMe page (see link above) and set aside Sunday, December 9 for the Benefit party at the Gaslamp in Long Beach.

John

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

If you're within driving distance of Long Beach on December 9, please plan on attending the Paul Johnson Benefit. If you are not able to make this event, please contribute to PJ's GoFundMe campaign (see above for a link or check the URL at the bottom of the poster). There will also be a raffle and silent auction plus other surprises. Watch this space for more announcements as the date approaches.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018 17:28:27

Wow! What a fantastic lineup! Here's hoping for a GREAT turnout and some solid money raised!

MadScientist wrote:

Wow! What a fantastic lineup! Here's hoping for a GREAT turnout and some solid money raised!

Agree

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Shared on my page and the Convention page.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It would be pretty cool if you guys recorded this entire concert and put together a live CD as a way to leverage the economic potential. I don't know if that actually pencils out after production costs but I'd buy one, even at an elevated cost.

Noel wrote:

MadScientist wrote:

Agree

Agree

www.surfintheeye.com

Several have asked if copies of the event poster will be for sale. YES, they will be for sale at the event on December 9 for $5/ea (proceeds going to Paul Johnson). They are quality printed on a matte-finished, poster stock (11x17) suitable for framing.

If anyone would like to buy one who can't be at the Paul Johnson Benefit, send me a PM here or through FB for ordering instructions. They would be sent rolled in a cardboard tube ($5 plus P&H).

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Nov 09, 2018 16:29:21

Three weeks from tonight. Everything is coming together nicely for this event. Please join us in Long Beach on December 9, and hang out with Davie Allan, Elliot Easton, David Marks, and lots of local celebrities who have been in Paul's greater circle of musician friends for many years. Autographs will get signed, prizes will be won, and there will be tons of swag for sale (more to be announced in the coming days). Best part is that the more money you spend will go to help with Paul's living expenses over the next several months as he undergoes a bone marrow transfusion, the last step in chasing his leukemia into remission. Come for dinner and drinks...stay for the fun. It's a good cause.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

From the current issue (January, 2019) of Vintage Guitar magazine (thank you Dan Forte). This issue also has a great interview with Shermy of The Surfrajettes.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018 17:08:55

Amazing line up. Slacktone is one of my favorites, such a treat to see! Long live PJ!! Living legend.

The 11 x 17 event poster looks really nice when framed (copies will be on sale at the Benefit for $5):

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Dan Forte (aka Teisco Del Rey) has compiled and produced a Paul Johnson Tribute CD that will be unveiled and sold for the first time at the upcoming Benefit on December 9th. This will be an instant collector's item. The majority of the tracks have been recently recorded especially for this release. Many thanks to all the artists who donated their time and money for this very special release. If you aren't able to attend the Benefit, I'll post information later on how you can order a copy of this CD.

1. MR. MOTO – Teisco Del Rey
  2. BIG SHOT – Terry “Buffalo” Ware
  3. TALLY HO – The Volcanics
  4. BEDLAM – Purple k’niF
  5. ANDELE – John Blair & Marty Tippens
  6. SQUAD CAR – Teisco Del Rey
  7. MRS. MOTO – The Surfrajettes
  8. THE CRAWLER – Slacktone
  9. STAND UP, STAND UP FOR P.J. – The Texas Air National Guitars
  10. KAMIKAZE – The Headless Horsemen
  11. LANKY BONES – The Madeira
  12. WINDSHIELD WIPER – And The Galaxies
  13. VAMANOS – Joao Erbetta & Pete Curry
  14. BIRDLAND – Mike Vernon
  15. P.J.’S WOODIE – Dead Men Don’t Surf
  16. ARMOR OF LIGHT – Insect Surfers

Produced by Dan Forte and Teisco Del Rey
All songs written by Paul Johnson, except (7) Shermy Freeman; (8) Paul Johnson-Eddie Bertrand; (15) Ron Eglit, Dusty Watson & Kerry Chester; (14) writer unknown.
(9) Based on “Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus” by Paul Johnson; arrangement by Teisco Del Rey.
PJ Records 101, (c) (p) 2018 Paul Johnson, Teisco Del Rey.
FBI Anti-Piracy Warning: Unauthorized copying is punishable under federal law.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

NICE!!!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This is really fantastic!

I will definitely be getting a copy.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

The Paul Johnson Benefit coming up next Sunday, 12/9, will feature a silent auction. Among the items to be auctioned is the following 15"x15" oil-on-canvass painting by Wade Koniakowsky (https://www.koniakowsky.com/) called "The Water Moves Toward Shore":

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Dec 03, 2018 12:16:42

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next