Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Just sharing a milestone in our lives.

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 1823 24 Next

So this happened last night. Henry flew 24 hours from Bahrain to his new posting stateside, and drove straight here to arrive just in time for Corradina's 21'st Birthday party.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Nice to have the family together.....Thank Henry for his service to our country !!

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

Boss_Daddy_Meltdown wrote:

Nice to have the family together.....Thank Henry for his service to our country !!

I will, thank you! He'll be here a little more than a week. We plan to make the most of it.

Great pic!

wfoguy wrote:

Great pic!

Thanks! It's good to be together again.

That's wonderful! I hope Corradina had a great birthday!

MelWaldorf wrote:

That's wonderful! I hope Corradina had a great birthday!

She really did! She's made friends with a local soul singer named Mr. B., who surprised her at the party and sang a song to her.

So after about 42 months since I played guitar before the move, things in the new house are finally far enough along for me to start playing guitar again. I've said THAT before! In any event, to commemorate my return to playing, I took out the first guitar I ever owned, the 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone Dad bought me new. It's still playable, and still hard to play with un-calloused fingertips. Brought back a lot of memories.

The song I started with? The rhythm part to Walk, Don't Run '64, barre chords and all. I'm REALLY out of practice! After two days I decided to use an easier to play guitar. Laughing

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:03:42

Back in business! With my computer failing I had to put an old Android tablet into service to practice music. I found a really simple app named Music Speed Changer. All it does is play music loaded onto a device in pitch at whatever speed I need. So I've loaded up twenty of the songs I used to play. With my tablet connected to a dbx go-Rack, and that connected to my powered PA speakers, plugging my guitar into a big Fender is almost like playing with the band. Surf's up!

Progress is always good. At our age, we may have changed the definition of progress. Smile

Screen shot of Music Speed Changer. It's easily the simplest to use software for learning songs and practice I've used. The ubiquitous ads are as unobtrusive as possible, and no popups either. I played the bass part on this. Can't wait until I can again. Fun stuff!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019 16:15:02

After months without my computer, I finally got its coffee & sweet cream-ruined keyboard replaced. Lots going on, crazy busy, but I hope I'll be able to spend more time here again. But I'm practicing guitar for at least a couple hours almost every day.

Then this happened.

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:52:06

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:39:53

WOW! Very happy to know you're doing alright. Scary thing to go through. Take care and be well.

Gilette wrote:

I'm happy to say I'm all right after having a heart attack last tuesday. Help was close by and damage was limited by fast intervention so I guess I'm lucky.

Really angry I had to skip Livorno again this year because of work. Won't happen to me next year. Love my job, but love living more.

^ Like he said, hang in there Gillete

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:52:48

Hi Gilette, We are all very glad you are still here!

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

I've had an amazingly good time playing guitar for someone who can't really play guitar. In spite of extended layoffs from playing due to surgeries and injuries, the four-year layoff after the move, and many, many other pauses lasting several and more months at a time, I played on stage with many, many friends, and fantastic bands - (alphabetically) the Intoxicators, Crazy Aces and The Surge. I even played Rumble with over twenty friends for Link Wray's daughter, Beth. Then just a few weeks ago this happened. Yep! She's my daughter Corradina. And she's playing next to Bob Spalding of The Ventures!

I wish I could upload the Facebook video of the song she played with Bob.

So what's next? As you may recall, I was making a lot of progress on my Spaghetti and Jet Harris project, and even had invites to play locally with a couple bands when I got stage-ready. Then...

The situation with Cory at home changed from allowing me up to five hours a day to play guitar to having no time at all. She's okay, no worries there. But she's at loose ends and doesn't do well that way. My priority now is being with her and doing things with her to keep her engaged, happy, and safe. This is an indefinite situation, and will certainly last months. It may even last several years until Barb retires. I just have no idea what the future holds, and if it includes playing guitar again.

But like I wrote at the start, I've had an amazingly good time playing guitar. So many people here contributed significantly to everything I've done. I literally couldn't have done any of it without you.

Thank you all!

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 1823 24 Next