Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Kilaueas! New album "Touch my alien"

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

I just gave the samples a listen on Amazon and clicked the “buy” button. Nice work, guys!

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

bigtikidude wrote:

No cd, right?

According to Double Crown Records:

"The Kilaueas - Touch My Alien CD - The vinyl version is out now from All-Score Records in Germany, but we'll be releasing this great new album on CD in mid-January, 2019."

Thank you, I just saw that,
I love LP, but most of my listening is in my truck on cd.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

summerfun wrote:

bigtikidude wrote:

No cd, right?

According to Double Crown Records:

"The Kilaueas - Touch My Alien CD - The vinyl version is out now from All-Score Records in Germany, but we'll be releasing this great new album on CD in mid-January, 2019."

Yay!!! This is great news!

Bob

I'm enjoying this album greatly.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

My review. Exclusive pics and links on my blog page

Kilaueas
“Touch My Alien”

A new Kilaueas album is always an anticipated and warmly greeted event. They’ve had a long career and earned well deserved love for their over the top live shows and consistently high-quality recordings. Their international touring has helped spread the legend, and Ralf Kilauea has big personality, whether he’s combing his hair mid-song, being an MC at the Surfer Joe Festival or pounding schnitzel with a Fender while wearing a bunny suit in YouTube videos. In social media, he’s outspoken and not afraid to take on surf music’s sacred cows or lampoon elitists.

Following Ralf’s lead is an unbelievably talented and tight unit with longtime colaboraters Tom Kilauea on guitar, Jaque Kilauea on bass, and for the first time on a Kilaueas long player, Perzi Perzborn on drums. Perzi is a veteran of the German alt rock scene, and has toured the world over with his band Plan B. He is solid, sure-footed and inventive, as are all the guys. The sense of humor The Kilaueas exude has a way of coloring the band’s music, which bubbles with optimism and unexpected delights. Just look at the song titles and you’ll know these guys keep a positive perspective.

Musically, one thing that immediately sets The Kilaueas apart is that the second guitar, rather than playing a straight rhythm pattern, will often play a repetitive riff behind the lead, and engage in frequent call an response with the lead. By not mucking up the sonic space with constant 8th notes, there’s room in the arrangements to hear subtleties. Another trademark is the brevity and focus of the songs, not a shred of unnecessary fluff here. I didn’t review all of the 17 songs here (yes, you get your money’s worth!) but there’s isn’t a dinker in the bunch, this album is a blast!

Highlights from Side A:
A really strong opener with “The Ace of Space,” a heavily caffeinated rocker that, aside from everything else going on within it, has one of the coolest drum fills you’re likely to have ever heard. “Why Do Fools Fall in Lava” (great title) is tuneful and hooky, like a conversation between two lovers convincing each other to elope, and embark on a wondrous life together. Such drama! “The Twang Files” heaps menace over a dragging pace with spy themes heavy on the melodic minor scale. “Pe Langa Plopii Fara Sot” is chamber surf, starting out traditionally before the guitars dampen to elegant pizzicato– I can imagine dancers at a show having to invent waltz steps for this one. “R.F.T.P.B.T.O.N.R.” (they should make a contest to guess what those initials stand for) is the epic of this disc. It’s a slow, dark, majestic grinder with wonderful, completely analog sounding space effects, that builds and builds.

And the very strong B Side:
If “The Dark Wave Swells” is meant to poke fun at the Bambi Molesters album title, it’s surely an honor for them to have such a great song written in homage. “Touch My Alien,” isn’t space themed as you might imagine, but alien in the original meaning.” The use of middle eastern scales, which even though, as surf music fans, we’ve heard in a thousand other songs, still sounds foreign and mysterious. (And then they hit you with a completely unexpected bridge.) I’m not sure why “Getaway Board” isn’t called “Imperial Surf Troopers” as suggested by the spoken introduction, maybe their saving that title for a future or song, but it’d be a bang up song even if it were called “Poop.” Last year’s hit single, “The Men from M.E.N.S.C.H.” appears here in a re-recorded version, losing none of the original’s vigor, and the brilliant addition of maniacal laughter spooks up the bridge (brilliant idea!) “Zambezi Nocturne” is sexy surf slow jam, filled out with vibraphone and congas, for those intimate moments that pop up 3/4 of the way through an instrumental album. “A Song Called Horse” leans toward Spaghetti Western, or may Spätzle Western in this case. I love the background vocals in the last verse. Following after is a reprise of “Horse” with acoustic rhythm and whistling for the lead, a very tasty finish to this delightful album.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Wow!
Thanks to everyone for kind response to our latest album "Touch my alien".
It´s always good to hear some opinions in our work. Of course we are superhappy when you like it and have a good time with the album.

Years ago I spoke with Alex (Faide, Los Twang Marvels) when he lived for a short time in Berlin. We talked about surf music productions. He also meant that a big problem for today´s surf music is the often grabby productions. So this keeping in mind I (we) wanted to have a real good production for this album! Also having the recording in mind I bought my white 1963 Jaguar at the beginning of 2018, which brought all my sound expectations! (at last I played this 63 Jag on the complete new album)
And we talked about the studio / production / sound / producer very early and decided to go to Thommy Hein Studios in Berlin. He is recording bands since 30 years. He produced a lot of well known albums here in Germany. But he never recorded a surf band yet. Perzi, our drummer, knew him from years ago.
We arranged a meeting with him, talked about the new album, Thommy Hein showed up at our rehearsal room, we played all songs for him. He noticed a lot on paper and after the rehearsal he started talking about some songs we played. Okay, this is a good basic I thought. Thommy also mentioned a few things on our arrangements, thoughts about this and that and so on. Good work, makes fun to work on the own music in this way.
We knew it would be expensive, but we wanted to have a good product at last. Without compromises.
And we started without shortage of time, which is also a big point in recording/release progress.

ok for today. more soon.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Oddly enough, I literally just bought this album yesterday on Bandcamp, and it sounds awesome! Great job!

By the way, wouldn't a "grabby" production lead to more Touching of your Alien? Just asking Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The Kilaueas! – Touch My Alien CD

An old friend (whom I had met personally only once in my life – in Hamburg - at the first Dick Dale concert in Germany back in March 1995) did ask me to order the first and latest release by The Kilaueas!
In the internet I had only found a vinyl album for 19,99 €, but my friend doesn´t buy records any more. He told me that he would pay the price to Ralf, if he could burn a cdr for him.
The first cd from 1999 I found out, that 2 persons have it, 8 are searching it. Ralf told me that he has no more copies, but could burn a cdr for Erik.
Ralf said that he had only once seen it in an ebay auction!!!
I contacted Ralf and he told me, that in Germany there is only the vinyl album released, in the U.S.A. however a cd. He still has some copies at home and could one to Erik. If I do like a copy myself I should add 15 Euros to he price he had given to me before.
Along with the cds came some fotos and, business cards etc.
When I did retire due to health problems in 2016 I decided to buy no longer music (except for Jon & The Nightriders and The Cruncher releases).
So this „Touch My Alien“ is my first cd I bought the past 5 years – and I am happy that I have done it.
The Kilaueas have developed their distinctive own sound and brought it onto this cd!
18 tracks, 46 minutes and 17 seconds playing time.
You can hear some reverb drenched surf titles like „The Ace of Space“, „K-17“, or
„The Dark Wave Smells“. Then there are some spacy sounding tunes,oriental and a little bit of „Spaghetti Western“ in „A Song Called Horse“ or „Reprise, played on accoustic guitar. My favorite however ist he melancholic „Zambesi Nocturne“ (does anyone here remember“ Harlem Nocturne“ from the 1950s- one of my to top 50 records of all time).
I don´t know what the letters in the songs 8, 9 and 12 mean or are standing for.
Maybe some here knows more about that ???
I regret that the tracks are not numbered, I believe 1 -18 could have been added to the sleeve,
in front of every title. so you have to count yourself the track and identify the title.
The cover and backside design is brilliant, a big thank you goes to Captnfred fort he art work!
Ralf did sent to me in an email some details on the instruments etc. (see below after the three dots).
So pick up the album or cd (released by Double Crown Records in 2019) and enjoy the music offered here again by The Kilaueas (their 8th cd when I counted correctly).
…wir haben wieder viel Arbeit in das Album gesteckt.. In einem teuren Studio in Kreuzberg (Tommy Hein Studios). Ich glaube, er hat damals auch das erste oder zweite Ärzte Album gemacht.
Auch Perzi, unser „neuer“ Drummer ist nun erstmals komplett auf einem ganzen Album. Er hat in den 90ern mit Plan B gespielt, mit denen er etwas bekannt wurde. Die haben auch mit den Ramones getourt.
Und nun trommelt er bei uns Smile
Auf der Alien spiele ich ausnahmslos meine 63er Fender Jaguar, die auf den meisten Stücken als Leadgitarre zu hören ist. Tom spielt eine 65er Jaguar.
Ich spiele darauf einen 61er Fender Showman. Tom spielt den alten 65er Dual Showman von Jon Blair, den wir ihm 2014 in den USA abgekauft hatten Smile

Ok, soweit beste Grüße
Ralf

tired wrote:

The Kilaueas! – Touch My Alien CD

I don´t know what the letters in the songs 8, 9 and 12 mean or are standing for.
Maybe some here knows more about that ???

Track 8: Pe Langa Plopii Fara Sot
Down where the lonely poplars grow
The first line of a famous poem by the Romanian poet Mihai Eminescu.

Track 9: Return From The Point Beyond The Point Of No Return
(information from earlier posts)

Track 12: Mensch (a good person)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4