Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Center of the Surf

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Here's also the "Pipeline Playlist", with "Center of the Surf" tied for 1st place with the reissue of Jon and the Nightriders' ultra-classic '81 live album "Live At Whisky a Go Go" and Frankie & The Pool Boys' sure-to-soon-be ultra-classic, "Spin The Bottle"! So happy to be able to share this honor with our good friends Ferenc and John (whose new epic anthology double-CD is also on the list, at number 6 - and who, of course, also played on "Center of the Surf"!), as well as with Double Crown Records, who released ours and Frankie's CDs!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

That's extremely nice and a truly wonderful compliment, synchro, thank you very much!!

I can only speak the truth, Ivan, you fellers do some great work.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Confession: due to personal life nonsense, I haven't seriously listened to surf music in about 1.5 years.

I'm ready to get back into it.

Everyone here knows the Madeira are amazing. After a while you take them for granted. Oh yeah, those guys are great. But you forget how great. At least I did, momentarily, until I spun this disc.

I've probably seen The Madeira live something like on the order of 2 dozen times. I'm very lucky. I was even at the 2017 SG101 convention where this was recorded.

But to hear this performance again, and all the crowd noises (I'm sure I'm yelling in there too), is quite an experience.

The Madeira write amazing songs. And it sounds so fucking loud, raw and brutal here. Just like it does live. I don't think they've sounded so mean and huge before. The performance here is just stellar with just the right amount of live gusto and looseness.

I'm convinced that in the future surf music fans will will speak in awe about the time John Blair and Jonpaul Balak joined the Madeira on stage. "I was there" they will say with a far off look on their faces and a smile spreading across their lips. It was truly an amazing, exciting, and historical moment.

(As an aside, I was also deeply moved the next day when John Blair joined The Madeira on stage at Surf Dog's to play some of the songs from their Blair-Pongracic set. WOW.)

So anyway, if you have any interest in surf music and what's going on today, you must own this. It combines the fire and "showmanship" of Eddie & The Showmen with the huge crushing sound Dick Dale conjures from the Beast and his Showman amps. It's just remarkable music played by people who really fucking love it, in front of a crowd that totally gets it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Wow, Brian!! Thank you so VERY MUCH!! This review was unexpected - and I'm extremely grateful! I'm so glad you like the CD so much! Thank you for all the wonderful comments! I very much hope we'll see you again soon at one of our shows (especially now that your "personal life nonsense", as you put it, has mostly passed), it's ALWAYS better when you're there.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Nice review,
Language sir, language.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Mr. Green

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Brian wrote:

I'm convinced that in the future surf music fans will will speak in awe about the time John Blair and Jonpaul Balak joined the Madeira on stage. "I was there" they will say with a far off look on their faces and a smile spreading across their lips. It was truly an amazing, exciting, and historical moment.

(As an aside, I was also deeply moved the next day when John Blair joined The Madeira on stage at Surf Dog's to play some of the songs from their Blair-Pongracic set. WOW.)

So anyway, if you have any interest in surf music and what's going on today, you must own this. It combines the fire and "showmanship" of Eddie & The Showmen with the huge crushing sound Dick Dale conjures from the Beast and his Showman amps. It's just remarkable music played by people who really fucking love it, in front of a crowd that totally gets it.

Some day, the Madeira will climb atop the roof of a college building in Michigan and play their last appearance, unable to tour henceforth, because of the mass of their fame. But we will always have Center of the Surf, which will become known as “The TidePod Album”. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2