Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Quilter 101 Mini Head

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10

stratdancer wrote:

I'm still loving my PB200. Haven't used the mini 101. I think the limiter probably makes a big difference. My best tone is achieved running the PB200 and my bandmaster in stereo through two surfy bears into 15's. The bandmaster adds the chime and tube brilliance while the Quilter adds more grit and low end punch. I have gigged the quilter exclusively but in the future if I have the room on stage will go with the stereo setup.

Quilter and Bandmaster with 2x15s? That's ALOT of amp and volume. Smile

Wow, I am so late to the party. I have never given these amps a chance, but am now considering buying one. I see nothing but great reviews here and everywhere else on the internet. It is reasonably priced, light in weight, and apparently sounds great. Am I missing something here?

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Finally bought a Quilter 101 Mini head and tried it out last night. This little thing blew me away! Seriously, it is very loud and very clean. The best part about it, it weighs next to nothing!

While the surf setting does have a lot of bass, I do like using it. I was alternating between the surf and jazz modes. What I do is turn the master volume up to 100 watts, and then slowly turn the gain volume up. That way it maximizes my headroom.

I like this thing so much I brought it to practice tonight instead of my '65 Bandmaster. In fact, I now have my eye on the 200 watt version that has a limiter on it. Amazing little amp in my opinion! Yes

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Hello everyone,

Brand new to forum, I would like to ask if some of you guy have aleready tried a Quilter BlockDock, and how did you feel about it.

Thanks a lot for your help & best regards ! Smile

Filo

Los Atarrayas on Bandcamp
Los Atarrayas on Facebook
Los Atarrayas on YouTube

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019 09:01:59

I prefer the "LEAD" voice on mine, into an open back cab with a Weber Cali with an aluminum dome and their Beam Blocker to disperse the ice picks. YMMV, of course...

I'm a bit late on this one, but I figured I'd reply to this post. I have the Quilter Pro Block 200 and have been looking to pair it up with a cab loaded with nice, bright speakers. I'm not terribly interested in lots of low end like a 15" gives me, so I'm thinking of getting the Quilter BlockDock 12HD. It's loaded with a neo Celestion and seems like it might do the job nicely... light, bright and plenty of mids. Anyone else have one of these cabs? Kinda pricey, but might be what I'm looking for.

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

Due to age and several health issues, I've gone from a '66 Dual Showman, to a '65 Bandmaster, to a '64 Bassman converted to a 1-12" combo. Currently, I use the Highway 101 head with the 1-10" BlockDock cabinet exclusively. All the volume I need even at practices. Usually on jazz or surf with a custom 7 lb. Jazzmaster. I won't sell my '64 Bassman (converted to combo) but love the Quilter products. Of course every amp gets a generous dose of spring reverb...

give me 3-fingers of 1st Wave SURF

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022 23:50:23

Jimbones, I have been happily playing Quilters for four or five years now. The only tube amp I own now is the one inside my Hammond organ. My first Quilter was the 101 which I play through an old Mesa Boogie Thiele cabinet with a 90 watt typical sounding Celestion. It sounds pretty darn good. Eventually I got a deal on a 201 Toneblock for the extra power and ended up buying a brand new Blockdock 112 last year. The Celestion BN12-300S that comes in it is technically a bass speaker. It’s good for woody low Polytone style jazz tones or saturated heavy tones. It’s not great for surf type tones. It’s all low end with very little chime and sparkle. I don’t like it at all, for surf or anything. It’s like you’re always playing with a heavy blanket over the speaker. However, this week, after playing through that cabinet for a year I finally replaced the speaker with an Eminence EM12N and it is AWESOME! It sounds like a real guitar cabinet and responds to the Quilter voicings dramatically. To my ears it’s the type of speaker that should be paired with those amps. If I were you I would get the empty Blockdock cabinet and put in an Eminence speaker like the Legend 1218. If you wanted to spend the money you could go with the EM12N, the cheaper heavier EM12 or the Celestion Cooperback which is a similar style speaker (not a typical Celestion). I do think the 101 sounds great with a lower wattage speaker which is why I mention the 1218. The EM12N barely breaks up and with the lower power 101 it lacks what little grit there is. If I hadn’t started playing the Toneblock 201 I would have put the Legend 1218 in my Blockdock. Whatever you do, skip the stock Celestion BN12-300S.

cheers!

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

Awesome, thanks so much! I'm really digging the specs on the Eminence. At the price Quilter cab is, I might end up getting a difference cab, though (I'm cheap...). Thanks for your input and I'll let you know what happens!

ElectricLimnology wrote:

Jimbones, I have been happily playing Quilters for four or five years now. The only tube amp I own now is the one inside my Hammond organ. My first Quilter was the 101 which I play through an old Mesa Boogie Thiele cabinet with a 90 watt typical sounding Celestion. It sounds pretty darn good. Eventually I got a deal on a 201 Toneblock for the extra power and ended up buying a brand new Blockdock 112 last year. The Celestion BN12-300S that comes in it is technically a bass speaker. It’s good for woody low Polytone style jazz tones or saturated heavy tones. It’s not great for surf type tones. It’s all low end with very little chime and sparkle. I don’t like it at all, for surf or anything. It’s like you’re always playing with a heavy blanket over the speaker. However, this week, after playing through that cabinet for a year I finally replaced the speaker with an Eminence EM12N and it is AWESOME! It sounds like a real guitar cabinet and responds to the Quilter voicings dramatically. To my ears it’s the type of speaker that should be paired with those amps. If I were you I would get the empty Blockdock cabinet and put in an Eminence speaker like the Legend 1218. If you wanted to spend the money you could go with the EM12N, the cheaper heavier EM12 or the Celestion Cooperback which is a similar style speaker (not a typical Celestion). I do think the 101 sounds great with a lower wattage speaker which is why I mention the 1218. The EM12N barely breaks up and with the lower power 101 it lacks what little grit there is. If I hadn’t started playing the Toneblock 201 I would have put the Legend 1218 in my Blockdock. Whatever you do, skip the stock Celestion BN12-300S.

cheers!

Any recommendation for something similar in a 15" instead of the EM12N?

ElectricLimnology wrote:

cheers!

Not to be a stinker, but what about a Quilter Steelaire? Not cheap but by all reports sound great for surf. Kinda pricey but everything is. I got a 4 ohm Steelaire and then started a job. I'm making a SFTR into a single 15" but that's gonna have to wait until the job's over in December.

Daniel Deathtide

Hi,
An electro voice 15l might be an excellent substitute also. And they can handle lots of power. Or a pair of 12l's. Very heavy shit though..
Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 10