Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink The Space Cossacks - Exolumina cover by me

Page 1 of 1

Hi, I'm back, enjoy the video and please tell me what you think about it. If you want me to play a song just tell me

My latest LP Unknown Creatures by Otitis Media Records is available now on all digital platforms and colored vinyl. Listen and buy here: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/sysmalakian/unknown-creatures
Lessons, tabs and tutorials send an email to sysmalakian@gmail.com

Sysmal,
Close but no cigar..
Suggestion:
Take a look at the Space Cossacks videos on Youtube. You can get a better idea of Ivan's fingering and legato techniques.
The interlude you play at 1:42 is not right and the last 2 bars are double stops; not single notes.
BUT-
If you're happy with how it sounds, more power to you.. and leave it alone.

I had this tune - well thought out and crafted in my opinion - transcribed years back but still used the S.C. videos to see how Ivan actually played it. Some of his fingerings worked for me; some had to be modified/replaced. Those last couple of bars in the upper registers were a bit of a fingering challenge on a Mosrite guitar.

Hope this helps
J.Mo'

Very helpfull @JohnnyMosrite. Will take a look on the interlude and the fingering of Ivan. Thanks

My latest LP Unknown Creatures by Otitis Media Records is available now on all digital platforms and colored vinyl. Listen and buy here: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/sysmalakian/unknown-creatures

Thanks very much, Sys, that's a very good version! And thanks to John for some constructive feedback. I thought I'd quickly record myself playing the song so you can see it close up. (A few questionable notes in there, especially the last one! but it wasn't about getting it perfect, just getting it on tape.) Hope you find that useful! Thanks again for covering the Space Cossacks!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I love this song so much, and miss so many notes even when just hearing it... not to mention playing. An eye opener.

I was going to post "well, this is a high mountain to climb", and then comes the mountain itself.
How gracious of you, Ivan, and I salute the effort, Sys.
You've made my day gentlemen, amazing!

Last edited: Oct 02, 2018 15:03:22

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 12:13:56

Hey Ivan,
Thanks for doing this. I had most of the fingering positions and notes correct.
That ending was always a finger twister for me on a Mosrite. You simplified it a bit better.

Again - a pretty well thought out and crafted tune in my opinion. I always liked your early stuff.

J Mo'

IvanP wrote:

Thanks very much, Sys, that's a very good version! And thanks to John for some constructive feedback. I thought I'd quickly record myself playing the song so you can see it close up. (A few questionable notes in there, especially the last one! but it wasn't about getting it perfect, just getting it on tape.) Hope you find that useful! Thanks again for covering the Space Cossacks!

Thank you so much for the video, i really like this song and now can i play all the notes. Thanks again Ivan Very Happy

Thank you for the kind words, all! I appreciate them, and I was very happy to help! I'll do more, if anybody asks. Just let me know! Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Wow, thanks Ivan! This is why SG101 is still a pretty unique place.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Big Grin Thumbs Up I also set the video to 'Private', meaning that you can only see it if you already have the url, even searching for it on YouTube won't bring it up - meaning that SG101 is the only way to get to it! May as well make it a bit exclusive and special. Mr. Green

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

If you were looking for the other videos Ivan made that were in this thread, that part got spun off into a new thread.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Sysmalakian and Ivan,
Thanks for the takes and Sysmalakian, good seeing someone out there trying to lay down those difficult parts. Very nice overall!

I've always enjoyed taking a stab at the Cossacks music, especially Tsunami Tsurprise and Neutron Sabre. Both songs have gone over well at our gigs, especially Tsunami which is usually one of the strong audience get up and dance numbers. (Imagine that...)

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

ArtS wrote:

Sysmalakian and Ivan,
Thanks for the takes and Sysmalakian, good seeing someone out there trying to lay down those difficult parts. Very nice overall!

I've always enjoyed taking a stab at the Cossacks music, especially Tsunami Tsurprise and Neutron Sabre. Both songs have gone over well at our gigs, especially Tsunami which is usually one of the strong audience get up and dance numbers. (Imagine that...)

Thanks a lot. New videos coming soon

Page 1 of 1