Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink I Found This Old Record

Page 1 of 1

One of the benefits of spending three days last week assembling shelves in the basement to sort and stack boxes is finally finding the rest of my music. But I also found six boxes of 45's my wife's mother left us, which I never had time to go through. There are hundreds of 45's by a who's who from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, including this. It cleaned up nicely and played well. The Dot release of Wipe Out and Surfer Joe by The Surfaris.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

What a nice find Noel! Yes

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

That’s incredible!!! How’s it sound? Wow!

Daniel Deathtide

First record I ever bought !

I was very surprised to find The Surfaris among The Platters, Paul Anka, Patti Page, Elvis, Theresa Brewer, and the rest. It and the few others I've cleaned up play surprisingly well considering everything, and they sound exactly as you'd expect on my Crosley. Brought back many fond memories of youth.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018 14:33:21

Very cool finds!
I love the Platters.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

CrazyAces wrote:

I love the Platters.

I believe that 100%. (and ditto)
Cool

Noel's find is the Pickers' equivalent of rusty gold.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

CrazyAces wrote:

I love the Platters.

I believe that 100%. (and ditto)
Cool

Yep!

Footnote, Pat Boon was also on Dot records.

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

Footnote, Pat Boon was also on Dot records.

Got some of his, too. Must have quite the sock hops back then.

Badger wrote:

I've been holding back because I generally don't like to yuck anybody's yum, but this is probably the most common surf release, lists on discogs for pennies. I can even find them here in New Orleans! If you can find a copy on DFS records instead of Dot then that's very rare and valuable. Finding a copy on Princess records isn't as valuable but still fetches more than Dot.

I love Wipe Out and I don't think value in dollars should take away from values as a listener, but as far as pickers go it's dirt.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018 13:31:55

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

I love Wipe Out and I don't think value in dollars should take away from values as a listener, but as far as pickers go it's dirt.

Understood; all I meant was that "out of the blue, something that means something to you." And not just Wipe Out, the old Platters stuff is cool too. Not about money.

Wes

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

Badger wrote:

I've been holding back because I generally don't like to yuck anybody's yum, but this is probably the most common surf release, lists on discogs for pennies. I can even find them here in New Orleans! If you can find a copy on DFS records instead of Dot then that's very rare and valuable. Finding a copy on Princess records isn't as valuable but still fetches more than Dot.

The Internet has drastically changed the market for records. I bought a collection of records with my dad on it from someone in Israel a while ago. But you have no idea how uncommon Wipe Out by The Surfaris on the Dot label is here. I'd never seen one in person in Pittsburgh before finding this the other day in one of her record carriers. That her records aren't played out is icing on the cake.

Cool. Sorry, really didn't mean to throw cold water on this thread or anything, if anything I'm thrilled that people are discussing 45s.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

Cool. Sorry, really didn't mean to throw cold water on this thread or anything, if anything I'm thrilled that people are discussing 45s.

No worries! I knew exactly what you meant, and wasn't bothered by it. I probably overpaid for the collection of Dad's records, but they're priceless to me, if no one else. So it is with stuff in general.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018 17:08:59

Scrolling through the post, as soon as I saw "Dot" I thought it must be Wipe Out. I never thought about the label, but I did have that as a kid and the image just triggered the memory of the record, which I played a zillion times.

My grandfather used to run a juke box business in North Carolina, and had clients up in Virginia as well, I believe. He had a shop full of thousands of boxes of 45's and 78's that had been in those juke boxes, and after he died, we would spend time going through those boxes and picking out records to bring home. Somehow that one ended up coming home and we put it in the juke box we had in our den. We played the hell out of that 45.

edwardsand wrote:

Scrolling through the post, as soon as I saw "Dot" I thought it must be Wipe Out. I never thought about the label, but I did have that as a kid and the image just triggered the memory of the record, which I played a zillion times.

My grandfather used to run a juke box business in North Carolina, and had clients up in Virginia as well, I believe. He had a shop full of thousands of boxes of 45's and 78's that had been in those juke boxes, and after he died, we would spend time going through those boxes and picking out records to bring home. Somehow that one ended up coming home and we put it in the juke box we had in our den. We played the hell out of that 45.

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

CrazyAces wrote:

I love the Platters.

As do I. I even took singing lessons for "Only You." The falsetto was great fun, but singing took too much practice.

Wipeout was #20 for the year in 1963. Top selling instrumental that year was "Fingertips Part 2" by Little Stevie Wonder at #8, followed by the Village Stompers' "Washington Square" at #9. No other instros in top 20.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018 21:28:56

Noel wrote:

One of the benefits of spending three days last week assembling shelves in the basement to sort and stack boxes is finally finding the rest of my music. But I also found six boxes of 45's my wife's mother left us, which I never had time to go through. There are hundreds of 45's by a who's who from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, including this. It cleaned up nicely and played well. The Dot release of Wipe Out and Surfer Joe by The Surfaris.

You hit a jackpot!

Page 1 of 1