Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: "Reverb Nation: Live at the 2017 Surf Guitar 101 Convention

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Good work John. I want one! (Actually more than one)

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

John wrote:

The eagle has landed!!! I'll have these CDs on my website for sale by the end of the week and they will be available at the Convention on the 4th. Congratulations to all the bands on this record and to SG101!!!!! This is monumental.

john
www.johnblair.us

Wooooo! Congrats to all involved!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Fantastic!!! Cheers

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Whoo hoo!!!
Looking forward to this!!
Mark Linett did a fantastic job recording and mixing our two tracks! Can't wait to hear the rest of it.

John wrote:

The eagle has landed!!! I'll have these CDs on my website for sale by the end of the week and they will be available at the Convention on the 4th. Congratulations to all the bands on this record and to SG101!!!!! This is monumental.

john
www.johnblair.us

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

It's now on Amazon. When was the last time a LIVE surf instrumental compilation of modern bands was on Amazon? We all need to help promote this CD, so please share this link. As more online presence occurs, I'll note it in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Reverb-Nation-Live-Guitar-Convention/dp/B07FDQRKBP/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1532607728&sr=1-1&keywords=surf+guitar+convention+cd&dpID=616uOAIHCXL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Looking forward to hearing it!

"Reverb Nation" is now available on my website, www.johnblair.us. The PayPal link should work. Just remember to select from the pull-down menu, the correct total cost (incl. post) for your location (US, Canada, Mexico, and Overseas). PayPal accepts all credit cards, too, in case you don't have a PayPal acc't.

Also available on Amazon and eBay (Amazon link above in thread. eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/323371030929?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649).

CD will also be available for purchase at the SG101 Convention on August 4.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018 11:35:33

Bump, for sale at the SG101 con

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Anyone take a listen to this yet and want to share their thoughts?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

The Madeira's copies JUST arrived to my house (along with couple of other awesome goodies!) Listening this moment - off to an amazing start!!! Death of a Gremmie, yes!!! This is sure to be epic!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maybe some comments or reviews from those who have had this CD for several weeks? "Reverb Nation" was produced with the focus on promoting SG101 specifically (THIS website and the Convention), and surf music in general. It would good if more folks realized this, talked about it, and helped to push the CD (and promote this music to the masses). Multiple copies of the CD are also available for resale from the record company directly (so, if any of the 15 bands on the CD are interested, please contact me).

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Shock

Jeff(bigtikidude)

John wrote:

Maybe some comments or reviews from those who have had this CD for several weeks? "Reverb Nation" was produced with the focus on promoting SG101 specifically (THIS website and the Convention), and surf music in general. It would good if more folks realized this, talked about it, and helped to push the CD (and promote this music to the masses). Multiple copies of the CD are also available for resale from the record company directly (so, if any of the 15 bands on the CD are interested, please contact me).

Well I don't post here much, and have only had the CD for about a week, but I'd be happy to offer my two cents! I should qualify my comments in that I've not yet had the pleasure to attend any of the SG101 conventions (not out of lack of interest though!) although I have seen some truly awesome surf bands live, including the Space Cossacks when they were locals here in D.C and Jon & the Nightriders several times back in the 80's. So I like to think I know what really great, authentic, rip-the-nails-out-of-the-stage live surf music is. And THIS is REALLY GREAT, AUTHENTIC, RIP-THE-NAILS-OUT-OF-THE-STAGE LIVE SURF MUSIC!

The recording and production quality is absolutely impressive and every beat, bass note and all other instruments comes through with overwhelming if not booming clarity. Hate to say this is the best live surf album I've ever heard, 'cuz I'm quite partial to J&tN's Live At The Whiskey, but, this is the best live surf album I've ever heard.

The two opening tracks by the Surf Rockers come out just ripping with total bodacious authority by the end of the second song and the cool buildup in pace between the first and second tracks really sets the tone for what's in store throughout the rest of the convention (& album).

The following tracks by OuterWave, Volcanics and Tequila Worms are just as consistently good and "The Traveler" by the Volcanics is REALLY growing on me big time!

Insect Surfers, Mystery Men and Atomic Mosquitos - what can you say??? These too just get better and better as live versions. Although they're local to me, I haven't had the chance to check out Atomic Mosquitos but the Theramin stuff is just wild. Both tracks by the Insect Surfers are on my favorites list. Delmarva - I mean, dayum!!! Order of the Black Sun from the Mystery Men deserves special mention as well. Love it.

Southern Surf by the Lively Ones... migod, when the tune is introduced as something by "Jim" and you realize we're talking about none other than Jim Masoner, it just boggles my mind what an absolutely precious moment in time that must have been to see the man play. And in keeping with the nuances of his more recent recordings I've heard, this is an absolutely unique and timeless track to have. Every finger movement and pluck of the string comes through.

All this and we're only about halfway through....

Rather than keep babbling I'll wrap this up by just saying the Surfaris Tribute tunes were an absolute joy and a perfect example of how surf music SHOULD be heard - loud and live, it's true environment!

Great to hear all the other bands and by no means are they any less impressive by not being mentioned here - for the sake of brevity I just wanna leave room for someone else to rave about 'em, because if the above doesn't say enough halfway through, then I don't know how to say it!

In my imaginary perfect world it would have been killer to have the El Camino's doing "Hornet's Nest" but hey - I shoulda bought a plane ticket and then maybe then I'da heard it, right?

All in all, I consider this a must-have, if not priceless, recording that captures so much of what the true surf n' reverb junkie lives for. Thanks for a great job putting this together, and for mentioning it here, I'm diggin the heck out of it.

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Sep 06, 2018 19:35:43

Stoopy, thank you for that very energetic review!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

(Apologies for the length of this review, but this CD truly deserves it! I hope you can spare it a few minutes of your time.)

REVERB NATION!! What we have here is something truly special: a compilation of live performances from the 2017 Surf Guitar 101 Convention held at Alpine Village in Torrence, CA. Let me first start by saying that I'm obviously not an impartial outsider when it comes to this wonderful CD. The Madeira played at this convention and we are featured with two tracks - "Caravela" and "Farthest Shore", NEITHER on our "Center of the Surf" live CD, recorded at the same occasion by the same team. (If you add them to those on "Center of the Surf", you will have our entire set from that day.) I'm very, very proud of our performance at that show, including these two tracks - I personally think they sound pretty awesome, but that's probably just my bias showing. Big Grin

The SG101 Convention has been held every August since 2008. The Madeira was part of that first one, and then again the 2012 one. It's one of our very favorite gigs, playing where this music was born, and in front of a sizeable audience of fellow surf nuts as well as many, MANY old friends! It's really a family-like occasion, and it's so nice to now have it immortalized!

Possibly the most notable thing about this entire CD is its phenomenal, downright GLORIOUS sound! Every band was playing through the 'proper' early '60s Fender amps and Ludwig drums, giving each band a powerful, warm and authentic sound. That of course wouldn't mean much if it hadn't been recorded properly - which it certainly WAS, by triple-Grammy-winning producer Mark Linett who's worked with the who's-who of popular music over the past nearly 50 years, including Frank Zappa, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and most notably Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. He has a deep and abiding love of surf music, and in fact this entire recording was his idea, as he approached Jeff Hanson AKA Big Tiki Dude, the main man behind the convention since its beginning, and offered to record all the bands and then arrange for the subsequent release of a compilation of live performances. This really needs to be emphasized - this entire project was ENTIRELY a labor of love for Mark, and he's put in an enormous amount of work to make it happen, from arranging the recording logistics on the day of the convention, communicating with all the bands, mixing the tracks and mastering the full album, pitching the project to labels, to finally arranging all the last details with the label behind the CD (Entrée Records). This was an enormous amount of work and it shows a pretty incredible level of dedication by someone of his stature. It's actually quite remarkable, really. And I have to emphasize: the CD sounds just UNBELIEVABLE, as one would expect!. I think for most bands featured on this CD, these are their best-sounding recordings ever. The only thing that gives it away as a live CD is the applause in-between the songs and the verve of the performances, something that's difficult if not even impossible to capture in a studio recording. Playing in front of a fairly large and highly enthusiastic audience will ALWAYS kick a band into a higher gear! And that's, folks, what was captured on this CD! A truly special day that will now live on forever - and in sound quality that can actually transport you there, if you crank the CD and close your eyes!

Demonstrating the deep roots of modern surf music, the CD appropriately opens and closes with '60s classics, as well as being anchored by them in the middle! The first band on the CD being the Surf Rockers whose Dick Dale tribute ("Death of a Gremmie" and "Misirlou") was ridiculously DEAD-ON! More Dick than Dick! Big Grin It then goes to one of today's greatest trad-surf tribute bands, Outerwave, whose version of the Original Surfaris' super-classic "Surfari" captures not only its sound but its teenage energy and enthusiasm remarkably well. (They throw a bit of a fun curveball by also covering "Desert Bound" by the Looney Tunes, an early '90s trad-surf band from Germany - and it also sounds like it came right from '63!) In the middle of the CD we get the Surfaris tribute, with the all-star lineup (featuring John Blair on lead guitar), doing "Wipe Out" (of course!), and "Point Panic", both again performed with deep love and reverence - and completely nailing it! Finally, the CD closes with the El Caminos (from Japan), performing a vibrant and highly authentic version of a fairly obscure first-wave classic, "Jet Stream" by the Breakers, followed by Venturesmania with another all-star lineup: Deke Dickerson (the Untamed Youth) and Garrett Immel (the Ghastly Ones) on guitars and Mel Bergmann (the Phantom Surfers) on bass, doing two mid-'60s Ventures classics, "007-11" and "Walk, Don't Run, '64," and my God, this again sounds more Ventures than the Ventures did in '65! The sound is not only completely faithful, but it's somehow even taken up a notch or two! You can tell these guys REALLY 'get' this music, understand it on a deeply instinctual and emotional level, and play it with incredible passion - but then, that really also applies to all five of the above bands!

The CD also features some of the finest modern surf bands (10 altogether, in addition to the tribute bands) from the past 20+ years, performing their own originals, many of which are destined to be future classics, I firmly believe! The Volcanics, Par Avion, the Tequila Worms and Insect Surfers demonstrating effectively the great variety of surf sounds in SoCal today, from completely trad to highly progressive. I love in particular the Insect Surfers' "Delmarva" and "Black Sea" - what a great sound and instrumental interplay on those two! Another SoCal act is the legendary first wave band the Lively Ones, here featured not with one of their classic '60s songs but rather with a new (to me, at least) laid-back original track "Southern Surf", its languid feel turning it one of my unexpected favorites on here. And then there are four leading surf bands from around the country and even the world: the Exotics from Milwaukee doing their brand of highly rhythmic surf groovers; Atomic Mosquitos from Washington, DC with an amazing, all-out, super-high-energy blast, seasoned with some crazy theremin work by Stephen Blickenstaff; the Mystery Men? from Atlanta, with their unique three-guitar mix of trad and prog surf, providing another of my favorites from the CD, the intensely melodic and textured "Cassandra Complex", as well as the moody "Order of the Black Sun"; and finally, the Kilaueas from Germany, widely thought of as one of the best surf bands in the world today, playing their highly dynamic and personal take on trad surf music, with another couple of my favorites, the Boss Martians'-flavored "Bernard of Hollywood" and the dark and exotic "Zambesi Nocturne". As striking as the classics played by the tribute bands are, here we see irrefutable evidence of the continued vitality and ongoing development of surf music, making it a viable and fascinating musical genre long after its commercial heyday of the early '60s. These songs are just fascinating to hear together, showcasing the breadth and diversity of approaches and contributions to modern surf music. It's just damn cool, methinks! Smile

Finally, huge kudos to John Blair for providing a great deal of assistance to Mark Linett in this project, including writing the excellent liner notes. I know from our personal communication how much effort and dedication he also put into this project, and all I can say is that it's absolutely paid off - this truly is a modern surf music classic and a must-have!

There's a lot more I could write about this CD, but if anybody's still reading this far, I've probably tested your patience enough! Bottom line: if you consider yourself a surf music fan, you've GOTTA have this CD! There's just no discussion! It's the best evidence yet that the state of surf music in 2018 is about as strong as it's ever been, and probably even on its way up, up, up and away! Get it!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 15:56:23

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I got my copy yesterday and did enjoy to listen to all of the 27 tracks.
IMHO it´s is one of the best (my no. 1 is Raw And Alive 98 by Jon & The Nightriders) live cd ever released and it belongs to
my top 5 cds by various artists.(I will add the list of my V.A. cds here)
Great sound, and very fine liner notes by John Blair,
which can open the minds of "new buyers" to our favorite music.
Congratulations to all who were involved in this project!!!
CD Title / number of tracks / Year of release
Rendevous Ballroom Reunion 2000 26 2006
Lost In The 60s - Mutant Surf Classics 20 1993
Surf O-Rama 8 2016
Brazil Surf Music 15 1996
Revolcadero Surf 14 2009
Instrobeat - 16 2006
Beyond The Sea 17 2000
The Missing Chord 27 2004
When I Grow Up To Be A Man 14 2001
Banzai #4 Compilation 21 2008
Banzai #5 Compilation 14 2012
Bikers And Other Themes 19 2003
Krautsurf 11 2009
Surf Guitars Rumble Vol. 3 14 2010
Surf Hits of the 90s – private selection 29 2005
Surfbeat Behind The Iron Curtain 23 2010
Surfbeat Behind The Iron Curtain part 2 13 2016
Surfin´ Into the 21st Century (private selection) 30 1994
Surfin´, Draggin´& Twistin´ 15 1995
Surfing Music 20 1996
Taking Out The Trash -a tribute to the Trashmen 24 1998
Youtube downloads 16 2010
Ride The Last Wave 10 1987
NSSR Green Cookie´s Compilation 2015 13 2007
Search For Atlantis 12 2004
Zorba´s Ride 15 1999
best of 2013 + NSS Festival missing tracks 12 2001
best of the North Sea Surf Festival 2010-2011-2013 19 2006
Latin American Surf Sampler Pt. 1: Valley to the kings 12 2005
Latin American Surf Sampler Pt. 2: La Playa 14 2007
NSSR Best of 2013 23 2001
California Sun 15 1994
Surfing Lounge 9 1996
Mexican Madness 13 2009
Surf & Psychobilly 14 2013
Surf Mex 1 17 1998
Surf Mex 2 18 2000
Surfeando En El Asfalto 19 2007
Riding The Snowy Wave 11 2008
Surf On The Rocks Vol. 1 12 1995
Surf On The Rocks Vol. 2 17 1994
Surf On The Rocks Vol. 3 14 1995
3 rd Annual Great Lakes Surf Battle 13 2004
40 Years GNP -Neil Norman at KXLU Dec.8, 1994 14 2003
An Evening In Nivram -The Music Of The Shadows 12 2003
Aztec Beach 11 1995
Back to The Beach 19 1998
BBC radio show with Simon Norris + Maurice Preece 12 2000
Better Than the Average Weekend 12 1998
Beyond The Beach 15 2012
Big Wave Riders 16 2005
Bikini World 15 1998
Brave New Surf 13 2004
Continental Magazin #14 13 2007
Continental Magazin #21 11 1992
Continental Magazin #7 13 1993
Continental Magazin #8 9 2000
Cool Surf – The Second Generation 13 2012
Curl Rider 13 1998
Dickheads 12 2015
Diggin´ For Gold 15 2012
Double Bumble 12 2006
Equinox Recording Artists of the 80s 4 2005
Estrus Gearbox 6 2002
Fiberglass Jungle 12 2010
Golly Gee & Double Crown: War Of The Surf Guitars 10 2004
Gremmie´s Jukebox 12 2003
Guitar Ace – Link Wray Tribute 13 2005
Hangin 11 14 1997
Heavy Surf 12 1996
Hot Rods To Hell 15 2013
Hot Rods To Hell, Vol. 2 11 2003
Instro Nation 17 2005
KFJC Presents Combo Swell 3 2012
KFJC´s Battle Of The Surfing Bands 12 1995
Kustom Kings 5 2014
Legends (And Rumors) 17 1998
Lemme Take You To The Beach 12 1996
Locked in To Surf Part 1 17 2003
Locked in To Surf Part 2 22 2000
Locked in To Surf Part 3 25 2005
Locked in To Surf Part 4 14 2000
Locos Instrumentals Around The World!! 16 1995
Making Waves 13 1995
Modern Surf Band Spotlight 8 1993
Mondo Drive-In 12 2006
Monster Party 2000 16 2009
Music For Mother Ocean 13 2006
No Approval Needed Vol. 4 25 2002
Northcoast Kicks 12 2004
Planet Surf 10 1999
Pulp-Non Fiction – no film music 12 2011
Pulp-Non Fiction Japanese Garage Surf Gear 14 2016
Radical Waves 18 2003
Reef Madness 14 1998
Reverb Central -live Surf from KFJC 15 1999
Reverb Nation 27 2018
Rock Don´t Run Vol. 1 15 2011
Rock Don´t Run Vol. 2 13 2014
Rock Don´t Run Vol. 3 13 2007
Seasonal Favorites 20 2005
Secret Agents S.O.U.N.D.S. 11 1985
SG 101 Compilation issue 82 12 1994
Shots In The Dark 16 1999
Smells Like Surf Spirit 19 2012
Sounds From the Inside Vol. 2 12 2012
Spanish Waves 14 2003
Summer In The City- Rolling Stone Vol. 5 16 1995
Summer Surf live From KFJC 21 2000
Surf Battle At Redondo Beach – a surfer´s paradise 16 2009
Surf Guitar Greats 14 2007
Surf Monsters 19 2002
Surf´s Up with Phil Dirt 19 2005
Surfin´ Knots Vol. 1 21 1994
Surfin´ Knots Vol. 2 19 1994
Surfin´ Knots Vol. 3 29 1999
Surfin´ Knots Vol. 4 - Sunset On Firestorm Beach 29 1999
Surfin´ Knots Vol. 5 - Cinama Dreams 25 1994
Surfin´ Knots Vol. 6 – Night Star 11 1994
Surfin´ Senorita 46 1994
Surfin´ Sundays 14 1995
Swingin´ Creepers - a tribute to The Ventures 12 1997
Swivlin Wahine cd 1 13 2012
Swivlin Wahine cd 2 24 1997
That´s New Pussycat - a tribute to Burt Bacharat 23 1999
The Summer Of 2002 31 2006
Themes For Bathing Beauties And Woodies 17 2007
This Is Skateboard Music 33 2009
Tube – Atlantic Surf Essentials 27 2009
Tuberider – Premium Surf Wax 20 2009
Up From the Deepest, Darkest Depth 18 2001
US vs EU Battle Of The Bands 20 1984

I'll keep my review short. It sounds fantastic!!!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next