Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Trigger Finger

Page 1 of 1

Has anyone else here had a problem with trigger finger?
And if so, has anyone had the surgery to fix it?

I first started to experience it about 10years ago in my right hand ring finger. It was intermittent and wasn't much of a problem. But about 8 months ago it started in my index finger as well and now it's giving me real problems with playing.

I've heard the surgery for it is simple and fairly routine.
I'm more concerned with recovery time. I've heard recovery is usually between 2 to 6 weeks, but that is for the average person, not a musician.
We have gigs every couple of weeks and are in the middle of recording, so I'm concerned about having to cancel a # of gigs as well as putting off recording.

I also don't want make it worse by delaying treatment.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

You seek medical advice from people on the internet because what? we like the same music? The better chance someone cares?
So, I care, because we like the same music. Set your priorities straight, Play less now to be able to play more later - that's the reasonable answer. Don't suffer through it, treat it or it will get worse.
Dealing with a different ailment, all I can say is: there is no recovery without rest, no matter the procedure. Get a second and third opinions from experienced surgeons before operating. Not Surf enthusiasts.
Good health.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018 21:33:24

My uncle had that surgery, and he was very happy with the results. I think his recovery was about a month, but it was a number of years ago when he got it done.
Good luck, I hope you can get it sorted out quickly.

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

I've experienced four trigger finger episodes that were exacerbated by playing guitar, two of which required surgery.

Regarding the two trigger finger episodes that did NOT require surgery, one healed itself after six weeks of wearing a finger splint recommended by my hand surgeon and the other healed by itself just by not playing guitar or overusing that finger for a couple of months.

My recommendation would be to get a finger splint (available at any major drug store) and splint the affected finger 24/7 and and cease playing guitar for six weeks. If that doesn't heal the trigger finger, then it is time to see a good hand surgeon. My surgeries were done on an outpatient basis with a local anesthetic. Following the surgery the surgeon will wrap your hand like a mummy and the residual pain is very bearable as long as you follow your surgeon's orders.

The medical term for what is commonly referred to as "trigger finger" is stenosing tenosynovitis. There is a TON of information regarding trigger finger available on Google and I recommend that you research it there to find more information than you will probably want. There is also a video or two available of the actual surgery.

But in any event, stop playing guitar and immobilize that finger now, or the condition will almost certainly worsen. Chances are, if you address it early enough, it may heal by itself as two of my TF episodes did.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Believe me, I am not posting here looking for medical advice. I've had hand surgery in the past, just not this procedure. I'm interested in real world experience with it. I've spoken to some people who had the procedure, but they did not rely on their hands as much as me (both for music & work). I am seeing a hand surgeon next week.
I'd just like to have as much information as possible going in, so as not to be pressured into having the surgery if there are other treatments available.

Woody - thank you for sharing your experience. With the finger splint, were you able to use your hand for everyday tasks, or did you have to rest it completely?
Thanks

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

Reverb17 wrote:

Woody - thank you for sharing your experience. With the finger splint, were you able to use your hand for everyday tasks, or did you have to rest it completely?
Thanks

No actual resting was needed, the splint is there to keep the affected finger extended. I just couldn't use that particular finger when bending it was necessary and I stopped playing guitar and bass for several weeks.

The last TF episode, the one that healed by itself, was cured without using a splint by keeping that finger extended as much and as often as possible, especially during sleeping. It wasn't as severe as the other three episodes as it wasn't constant - The "catching" was intermittent.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Thanks

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

I completely disagree with Arial. This is a fine place to ask what you’re asking, because all surf musicians are smarter than mermaids.

But seriously, I hate to hear about this. I had a massive bout with tendinitis in the late 90s that forced me to forever give up any job that uses a computer keyboard. Luckily I can still play, it’s mostly just the little keyboard strokes that used to hurt.

I wish for the best possible outcome for you. Sounds like that could be a little as a 6-week break from playing. Your band will understand, and if they don’t, find another band. Your health is more important. Don’t do anything that hurts in a “bad” way. Stop playing immediately, if it hurts. You can play shows and record a hit record after you heal!

Dan Izen

Daniel Deathtide

Went to the doctor last week and got a cortisone shot in each finger.
A week later and I now have full flexibility in the hand again. He said that there was a 30% chance that the cortisone will wear off in a few months, but for now everything works and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page

I hope he explained that cortisone works by disintegrating the tissue, thereby reducing inflammation. Which is why it's considered a temporary and last resort treatment, as well as why you can't get more than two in the same place. You have no more tissue left!

I would have advised to avoid that unless your survival was at risk. Instead find the cause while allowing time to heal naturally. Possibly nine months. Inflammation is always the result of something being done improperly, you just have to figure out what. Anyway glad you're back playing!

When my arm inflammation happened in the late 90s, I had a re-injury after playing guitar. It set me back about 4 months and made me really bummed. Eventually, after a horrible period of not being able to do anything fun, it healed enough to play guitar again. Luckily my injury was caused by keyboard and a bad computer desk, so playing guitar didn't really bother those muscles after the acute stage. I had the option of cortisone but after researching I decided against it.

Every morning I drink a 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and black pepper extract, and that is the only thing that has truly made all the pain go away. If I miss a day my arms start hurting. I think my pain is stress related, because I notice the pain more when I'm stressed out or haven't slept well.

Daniel Deathtide

The risk of misinformation due to internet or misinformation due to profit seeking. I honestly can’t help you either, I don’t even know what it is - probably because I flat pick 90 % of the time.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Last edited: Aug 05, 2018 01:39:56

Page 1 of 1