Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Inspiring Surf Music images from the 60's...

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

A few weeks ago Klaus Brunner sent me a little story and fotos.
One of his old school friends (now sitting in a wheel chair)
visited him and brought some old fotos of the guys from 1964 that were
back then in a group called "The Sky Rockets".
A young, 15 years old Herbert "The Cruncher" Hooke is also in the foto.
I have to ask them if I am allowed to upload the picture here.
Remember Gary Usher once had answered my letter given to him by John Blair - David Leaf but he wasn´t willing to share the old pictures of
"The Four Speeds" as I had asked him if he still has some shots.
Fortunately a little later Stephen J. McParland got acquainted with
Gary and he developed into a kind of personal chronologist of
Gary Usher and his musical life.
Folks nearly 40 years since this happened ... the fond memories still exists!!!
Ruediger

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 06:09:22

Klas wrote:

Hadn't seen any of the Challengers' pics before I think, great stuff! Will put on their Go Sidewalk Surfing! album in a minute!

And continuing on the Beach Boys as well as Annette, check out this funny photo where she has taken over the studio controls. Note how Carl and Dennis doesn't seem to approve while Mike is doing his best to make them stop doing faces! Laughing

Yeah this photo was made during recording the Monkeys Uncle song at Goldstar Studios

That Monkey's Uncle song was horrible. Did she do another song with them for a movie? I remember seeing it in a theater when I was young. Maybe it was Monkey's Uncle.

Keep the pictures coming. Especially the ones with the beach bunnies!

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

As a late addition to the discussion about Harmony Park earlier in the thread and a hint to everyone asking themselves how big this ballroom acutally was, here is another shot from the stage into the room:

Taken from an article referring to DDs death:
https://pocketmags.com/eu/guitar-magazine/may-2019/articles/555131/dick-dale-1937-2019

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

She is a big reason I got into surf! That's why I named my surf green Strat "Annette"

And continuing on the Beach Boys as well as Annette,:

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

How about the iconic Fender Jaguar ads from the 1960's. Like these:

Instagram: surf_music_is_not_dead
Spotify: surf_music_is_not_dead

At first glance I thought the guy in the "You won't part with yours either" ad was actor Don Stroud who was a surfer and drummer. He actually played drums in The Buddy Holly Story in which Gary Busey played the title role. Great pic by the way.

Don_Cali wrote:

At first glance I thought the guy in the "You won't part with yours either" ad was actor Don Stroud who was a surfer and drummer. He actually played drums in The Buddy Holly Story in which Gary Busey played the title role. Great pic by the way.

Yeah there was a thread on here about that Fender advert somewhere, I guess he jumped on a board for real, I always thought it was staged or photo shopped, I think Fender got the guitar back too. I wonder where it is now?

Speaking of Movie Trivia Cool I was a big fan of Janos Prohaska who played many animal parts in films and TV shows I watched as a kid.

My favorite Surf movie so far is this one below, I have most of them. The guy in the monkey suit called Clyde was the same man that played many Star Trek costume scenes like the Gorgon etc...he played Cookie the Bear on the Andy Williams show much later too, He died in a plane crash in 74 not far from his house ironically. He used the same suit on The Lucy Show too about 3 years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janos_Prohaska

Don_Cali wrote:

His name is Jon Martin and there was a thread on him and more on the story of the photo shoot here in case anyone missed it:
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/22085/?page=1

Also the girl in the beach photo is named Edie Carhart. She wrote in when we were discussing old surf guitar ads some years ago.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/12503/?page=3#p280654

A couple of neat SG101 moments...

Better late than never? Saw the earlier posts about hearses and wanted to show these two that were for sale around Rhode Island last year. Too much for me but someone got lucky.

I don't know, if it is "inspiring", but it is definitely one of the weirder pictures I have seen of the Astronauts. I think it would fit nicely with the final scenes from "2001: A Space Odyssey"...

The caption from gettyimages reads:
NEW YORK - MARCH 1965: Surf group The Astronauts perform on the NBC TV music show 'Hullabaloo' in March 1965 in New York City, New York. (Photo by Hullabaloo Archive/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images)

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

I don't know, if it is "inspiring", but it is definitely one of the weirder pictures I have seen of the Astronauts. I think it would fit nicely with the final scenes from "2001: A Space Odyssey"...

NEW YORK - MARCH 1965: Surf group The Astronauts perform on the NBC TV music show 'Hullabaloo' in March 1965 in New York City, New York. (Photo by Hullabaloo Archive/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images)

What the heck? What song could they even be miming with a harp and violin?

They have a bunch of 'orchestrated'
Maybe one of those??
Might be a vocal too. Or were the mic's set to speak to the 'crowd'?
Look at the height of the tom positioning on the Premier —

www.LosVenturas.be

Websurfer, that's a great photo of Paul Revere and the Raiders!

Patrick

Thanks for that Patrick! I didn't know who it was! Just a random Google image find I wanted to share.

Yes, that's a very cool pic of the Raiders where they are doing Chuck Berry's "Rock'n'Roll Music" on the great Where The Action Is TV show in 1965.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

N0_Camping4U wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

What the heck? What song could they even be miming with a harp and violin?

Another really cool pic but I'm pretty sure that the ladies playing classical instruments just sit there and doesn't have anything to do with the actual song as it was not uncommon that the Hullabaloo show used female models posing in "freezed" positions during performances.

Below is a classic example...

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022 05:55:55

One of my all time favourite surf music album covers...

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

Yes, that's a very cool pic of the Raiders where they are doing Chuck Berry's "Rock'n'Roll Music" on the great Where The Action Is TV show in 1965.

There it is---like the picture come to life! What an interesting musical "stew" that time frame was. A surf (and ski) setting featuring Jan and Dean with the British invasion knocking on the door in terms of a Beatles song and Peter and Gordon, AND some Motown, soul and garage. Very reminiscent of the TAMI show, and of course the contemporary beach movies with the likes of Dick Dale next to Stevie Wonder. What seismic shifts in music the 1960s saw.

That is a great album cover. It actually looks contemporary in a way. Like when modern graphic artist try for a retro vibe, yet this is the real thing.

I remember you like another cover in a similar loose watercolor wash with line drawing. It is a favorite of mine also...the art and the music:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022 14:44:43

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next