Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ahab and the Wailers

Page 1 of 1

Here’s a short review from the New Musical Express 2nd August 1963.

AHAB & WAILERS
If you want to know just who Ahab and the Wailers are, I'm afraid I can't help you. They're keeping their identity a secret, but you can hear what they sound like playing "Cleopatra's Needle". A strong beat instrumental with some unusual sounds. Flip of this Pye release is "Neb's Tune," another rocker in similar style.

Side 1 Cleopatra's Needle (Larry Michael)
Side 2 Neb's Tune (Geller Steele)
Pye 7N 15553
Produced by Essem Sound Ltd (7 Hanover Street - off Regents Street Central London).

Why the name? I’ll go along with a YouTube commenter who said: “It´s a pun. Ahab´s the name of the whaler/captain in Moby Dick”.
Cleopatra's Needle? is the popular name for each of three Ancient Egyptian obelisks re-erected in London, Paris, and New York City.
Neb's Tune? It’s an Egyptian word for “master” or an old English word meaning “beak” sometimes a nickname for someone who has a large nose.

Who were the musicians? I’d hazard a guess Ted Taylor was on Clavioline as he had an unmistakable style. Ted was a BBC employee musician/presenter for BBC Children’s Television Studio “E” London from the mid 1950s. As well as some crazy wild Clavioline with his own band the Ted Taylor Four he also sessioned for the John Barry 7 and Burt Weedon.

The writers? Another comment from the net simply states “The Harold Geller Group” (and Singers). Harold Geller was an Australian-born American conductor and composer who also worked for BBC London at the same time as Ted Taylor. Famed his long running “Music While You Work” broadcasts with the Harold Geller Orchestra. He made quite a few records and I noticed one of them was also produced by Essem Sound Ltd.

While searching the web I came across this eBay auction for an old handbill from 1966: Ebay Link

The description.
Band Battle of The Year 1966 paper Handbill. Original First Printing mimeograph, not a reproduction. Featuring San Francisco Bay Area Bands : The Renovations - featured at Funtown U.S.A. Oakland, and The KEWB Band Battle; Ahab & The Wailers - featured with Johnny "G" of KEWB Radio; and a Mystery Group. Date: Saturday January 29,1966. Venue: Pedro Valley School, Pacifica, California. Sponsored by the Pacifica Little League. Handbill with some borders in fragile condition, saved from fire at the Band Managers home.

That's a killer little tune! Thanks for posting this!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Crazy! I dig it!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I posted it on my Facebook and listened to it about 20 times more last night. It's a damned good little gem of a tune!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz

I'm surprised this tune was missed on the Jungle Exotica comps back in the 90s.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz

I always strike an imaginary gong at the break!

I think Neb's Tune is probably what the Brit's would refer to as Fair Ground Music. I first heard it on "An Outbreak Of Twangin' - Phantom Guitars Vol. 2". It's a British instrumental comp with firm focus on lesser known bands and tunes. There is a good couple of handfuls of gems throughout the two CD's. A rough quality copy of vol.1 can be found on YouTube.

Of course I'd love to know who played guitar on Neb's Tune.

Last edited: Jul 09, 2018 11:39:08

Neb's Tune is indeed one of the great UK instrumentals, despite its great obscurity! But I was told some years ago by Alex Faide that it was the very first song learned and played by Los Twang! Marvels! I think that says a LOT about how great it is! I had another experience with it just a month ago at the Surfer Joe festival - I took a ride with my wife on the ferris wheel on the piazza, and as we were going around, the DJ below played Neb's Tune in between bands on stage. It really made the whole experience even better.

There are so many increible UK instros from the first half of the '60s - most sounding nothing like the Shadows - it's really a goldmine! I've got some 15 comps of UK instros, and they're loaded with gems. (I've also got some 10 CDs of various UK instro bands, Jet Harris & Tony Meehan, the Hunters, the Outlaws, the Dakotas, the Tornados, the Eagles, Sounds, Inc., the Phantoms, etc., all just fantastic.)

Below is the A-side of Neb's Tune, Cleopatra's Needle (which is not quite as good as its B-side, IMO). (My guess is that Neb in the title is Nebuchadnezzar, the Babylonian king, but that's all it is, a guess.)

Good guess about Ahab & the Wailers being the Ted Taylor Four, crumble! I think that's quite possible, if not even highly likely. And what a great band THEY were! Extremely underrated and unknown, but I'm also attaching a few of their tracks below, including Cat's Eyes and Haunted Pad (both covered by the Coffin Daggers in recent years).

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hi Ivan, listening to Neb's tune at surfer-joe caught my ear as well, although in my case listening via the live stream. As you can see I tried to make sense of the song title and I also read a little about the Arab King Neb. According to Google Neb is not a name, well not in the western world. However my Father of northern English world wars stock had a friend called Neb. Poor old Neb, when nature was handing out components he definitely received several booby prizes including the most magnificent nose. I must add Neb had a great sense of humour and everyone loved him.

Another track which catches my ears from Phantom Guitars vol.1 is Bobby Taylor - Temptation. Bobby Taylor played along side Albert Lee in the Thunderbirds who backed Chris Farlowe. A 17 year old enthusiast called Jimmy Page recorded the band's first demo. Page was a huge Bobby Taylor fan and the demo has just been released. Bobby Taylor became Robert Tayman the actor. He has an acting school in LA. Oleg (Messer Chups) might know his work in "Vampire Circus"!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018 11:12:48

I forgot to mention the Alex Twang! Marvels factor Ivan spoke of, I'm blown away to hear that! Ha! amazing! Surfer Joe Festival 2009 Forever!

Here's a Ted Taylor Four video you might have missed - Juke Box Jury.

Thanks for all this info guys. It's threads like this that make SG101 great, I really miss these type of posts. FB has nothing like this.
Long live SG101.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

crumble wrote:

I forgot to mention the Alex Twang! Marvels factor Ivan spoke of, I'm blown away to hear that! Ha! amazing! Surfer Joe Festival 2009 Forever!

Big Grin Los Twang! Marvels' set at the '09 Surfer Joe was one of my favorite surf music performances by anybody EVER!! I'm so glad there are a bunch of videos of that on YouTube, taken by Unsteady Freddie.

Here's a Ted Taylor Four video you might have missed - Juke Box Jury.

Wow! So, that's what Ted Taylor looked like? I had no idea. It's a shame, but I guess it's no surprise he didn't have more success. Definitely didn't look even remotely like a rock'n'roller! VERY talented guy, though, I hope he was able to have a good career as a musician.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ted started out as the Ted Taylor Trio in the mid 50s. His Clavioline collaborations extended to at least 5 John Barry 7 tracks and a Bert weedon track that I know of. I think he became more involved in BBC Television music. He appears in a late 1980s Benny Hill comedy sketch which was of interest to me because my father worked as a part time musician for the BBC at the same time and I remember him talking about the show. My Father died in 1990 and I believe both Hill and Taylor died in consecutive years after.

A couple of the Ted Taylor Four band had something to with Supersound Guitars.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018 18:38:40

Very interesting, crumble! And thanks for the video. If I ever knew about Supersound guitars, well, I had completely forgotten about them!

Here's Ted Taylor on one of my very favorite Bert Weedon tracks - Taylor's got such a recognizable sound and style!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

bigtikidude wrote:

Thanks for all this info guys. It's threads like this that make SG101 great, I really miss these type of posts. FB has nothing like this.
Long live SG101.

Absolutely and thanks for the kind comment.
I also created a thread about the Executives (No Room For Squares) which Matt enthused about. I enjoyed researching it, it reminds me that each and every tune has some kind of story behind it and that's quite something considering instrumental has little content compared to vocal songs. With "Executives - No Room For Squares" I made my own video because it wasn't available on YouTube and so far it has 39 views, the SG101 thread has 139 views. How I wish I could write like Tuck! he could really flow of the chart! I'll carry on if it's of interest or maybe not if not really surf worthy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018 18:27:43

Great stuff! I love surf music archaeology.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

bigtikidude wrote:

Long live SG101.

Yes, thank you Crumble for starting this thread. Whenever I think about throwing in the towel here a thread like this will pop up. Then I'll look at FB and see the truly awful and misinformed crap that goes on in the "surf music" groups there and change my mind.

What can we do to bring people back ?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Probably the subject of another thread to avoid derailing this one.

Wow! Lots of exciting stuff posted here, but to my ear Neb's Tune towers above them all. What a killer track! Thanks crumble and Ivan for the lesson!

Page 1 of 1