Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Fascinating Creatures of the Deep - "Float On Forever" EP

Page 1 of 1

Fascinating Creatures of the Deep
Float on Forever EP

This five song EP was recorded and prepared in time for Fascinating Creatures of the Deep’s spellbinding performance at Surfer Joe Festival, where they gripped the crowd’s attention. Their set seemed essentially different in pace from every other band, and they played the only true ballad of any band I heard there.
The group is led by Adrian Cavlan, lead guitar and songwriter, Gary Boodt on rhythm, and Paul Zimmerman on bass. The drums were played by Bay Area surf music scenester “Stretch” Riddle, whose cred and chops are unchallenged.
Adrian’s songs, in general, are non linear and veer from the verse/chorus/repeat cycle in interesting ways. Which is to say that it’s not trad, although the instrumentation is, except for the use of an acoustic guitar for the rhythm. Adrian is a bitchin’ guitarist!
This EP does not disappoint, and like their live set is patient and well paced. The first three songs are uptempo rockers. The first song, “The Coldwater Kid” is distinctly non linear, using a variation on the James Bond theme as an intro anchor, a solid verse riff, then a nod to “Diamondhead” here, some jazzy spikes there, and dramatic stops to finish, all in 3:02.
“Rail Grabber” is locked down with a steady surf beat and rolls, while the throaty leads tells a gripping story of one surfer’s long ride through repeated peaks and valleys. I love when the guitar goes for double reverb in the bridge.
“Panic at the Point” is even more cutting with a standard 2+4 snare and big pounder opening riff. The rising, diminished, bridge chills like ice water pouring down the neck hole of your wet suit. (This has never happened to me, but I can imagine).
And then, the EP takes another dramatic turn with two cinematic slow songs, which is somewhat surprising if you know of Adrian’s background in the Bay Area punk scene.
The first, “Float on Forever,” strikes me as being deeply introspective. Slow, moody and clean minor key surf guitar noodles over sub-bass. It’s a full two minutes before a slow stuttering drum beat joins, at which point the song reveals a bit of light in the melody. This is thoughtful, quiet surf at it’s best. You may not know what’s on the composer’s mind, but it’s sure to bring out big thoughts in yours.
“Push On Long Strider” was inspired by the onstage heart attack suffered by Stretch, and his recovery. Thinking about losing a talented friend is surely inspirational, although not the kind of inspiration anyone wants to have. It starts out with slow wave rolls and an ominous string bend, suggesting a transition to a darker world. The rhythm guitar begins a steady Bolero beat and the lead comes in on top with Spanish musings. The tempo remains steady but builds in intensity quickly, and you know you’re in for an epic ride. Even at nearly four minutes, this song is much too short.
In fact, with just five songs I feel the whole EP is too short, and hope and wish that Fascinating Creatures of the Deep continue to write and record, with a steadier output. Can you tell I loved this record? Great work guys, this EP is outstanding!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Great review Ferenc, thanks for contributing it here! I'll definitely check out the band.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I've enjoyed these guys for a few years now, and have had them at the Winter Fest in the past, but am really looking forward to them being at SG101. The Cd is great I love the whole thing, but especially the 2 slow songs, very moving stuff there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1