Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Les Dynamites Might Just Blow You Away

Page 1 of 1

Les Dynamites

Saloniki Pipeline

Has a timeless feel to it. I could imagine that if you somehow could bring notable historic figures of the Levant together in one room they would pair-off, link elbows and enjoy dancing to this one. The open sound of this band really works to the songs advantage.

Vaanunu

The feel is that of First Wave Surf, played with restraint and skill. Once again, the sound is quite uncluttered. The guitars keep busy, but keep out of one another’s way quite skillfully. This song is a lesson in taste and restraint. Siamese cats seem to enjoy this song as well.

Love Story

Who says you can’t Rock in an ancient tongue? Well, I can only assume that the lyrics are in Hebrew. The sound is playful and fun and somehow I think that this song would have gone over quite well in 1962. Nice vibrato tailpiece work in this one.

The Breeze And I

Lots of tremolo and a great, solid rhythm guitar. In the bridge, the sound reminds me of something you’d hear in a movie scene about the Italian Riviera. Once again, the interplay of the guitars is notable. The lead is handed off seamlessly, each guitar track bringing its respective gifts to whichever role it is fulfilling at the moment.

Neptune

A solid sound from the lower register of the guitar leads off as the song progresses from that point. It’s like a history lesson starting with Duane Eddy and moving into the Surf era. The chord work towards the middle of the song is outstanding. The song returns to its roots after some interesting breaks.

El Toro

The Andalusian Cadence gets a workout in this piece with a galloping feel and lots of action. The bridge brings the energy level down a bit with some very tasteful guitar work, but then the Bull runs again with full force when the bridge ends. The Andalusian Cadence is the backbone of many Surf tunes but Les Dynamites manage to breathe new life into it in El Toro, and that’s no Bull.

Dynamite

Another vocal track over a sparse framework of insistent drums and just enough guitar work to get the job done. The instrumental break near the middle is quite pleasing to my ear. Once again, the sound is very open, very uncluttered and includes some unison playing which is quite effective.

A Demon In A Shape Of A Girl

Most of us could probably tell this tale. Heaven knows I could. The sound is lighthearted and playful. The guitar work is first-class. There is a Country feel and some licks worthy of Chet Atkins in the instrumental section. “Elvis” thanks us very much at the end.

Alone

A time machine set to 1962, it brought me right back to my early Grade School days. The changes are mellow and evocative, providing a good backdrop for the melodic guitar. Interesting combination of tremolo and reverb on this one.

A Moonless Night On The Beach

Probably the most mellow song in the album. The lead guitar works very tightly with the vocal line and compliments it nicely. It takes some real forethought for this to happen without the guitars overshadowing the vocals, but they pull it off well.

There seems to always be something interesting coming from the background in these songs. Just as the lead line tapers off, the rhythm Guitar comes forward with something interesting. While two guitars are audible most of the time, the roles of rhythm and lead are quite fluid. As far as I can tell, there is only one guitarist in the band and the end product is the result of some skilled multi-track work.

Music from the Mediterranean and Aegean reminds us that Surf has roots that go far deeper than Huntington Beach in the early ‘60s. Mel Waldorf taught us that Surf and Klezmer have a great deal in common and countless other bands have shown us that the minor key artistry of various Mediterranean cultures can be a source of fresh inspiration in Surf Guitar.

I play Surf because it was the music I heard on the car radio when my older sister would let me tag along with her. At home, I heard Chet Atkins and some light classical thanks to my father, so all of these influences inform my playing over 50 years later. Bands; all bands, reflect the cultural influences of their members. Comfort in the minor keys is born of having heard that music from an early age which gives a distinct advantage to people from the Mediterranean Basin, when it comes to Surf. (Not to mention the Hungarian minors certain economics professors might slip into a song occasionally.) Smile In any event, this Coloradan loves hearing all of it and Les Dynamites certainly does a great job of carrying the fire.

It’s easy for modern Surf to become self-caricature, with exaggeration ruling the day. To avoid this trap requires both skill and restraint. Not everyone succeeds as well as Les Dynamites. To quote the band directly; “we play surf music which is influenced by the surf scene of the early 60's and the middle east's surf guitar heros”. In my humble opinion, they have succeeded.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

thank you so much for your tremendous review..we are overwhelmed
it seems that you intellegently understood our thing just from listening to the music..we couldnt ask for more
Our love and Surfs up!

Today I visited my PayPal account and was delighted to see that the transaction for this album was listed in Shekels. That’s a first for me.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

amazing thanks alot..haha well there's always a first time..

Page 1 of 1