Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: "Reverb Nation: Live at the 2017 Surf Guitar 101 Convention

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Last year's SG101 Convention, as many of you know, was professionally recorded by THREE-TIME Grammy Award winning producer and engineer, Mark Linett. He mixed and produced 27 tracks by 15 bands that are represented on "Reverb Nation: Live at the 2017 Surf Guitar 101 Convention." The CD will arrive in time for this year's Convention on August 4.

"Reverb Nation" is an amazing collection of tracks that serves as much more than a nice memento of last year's event for those who were there. This CD presents some of the best contemporary instrumental surf music in a well-designed package (from our own Duff Paulsen), with wide distribution that hopefully will reach the ears of the non-initiated around the country and world. The hope is that this will act as a digital "ambassador" of sorts to help bring more into the fold. Having Mark Linett directly involved is a BIG plus for SG101, the Convention, and the music in general.

The official street date is August 7, but I believe the CD will be available on Amazon a few days before the Convention. After August 7, it will be available pretty much everywhere.

The CD is being released by Entree Records, a division of Sierra Records (the company that released the latest record from Chris Hillman last year). The SRP will be $17.98. CDs sold at the Convention are expected to have a special price of $12. After the Convention, I'll have them for sale at $15 on my website and eBay.

This is BIG, everybody. Please help promote this release however you can.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Jul 06, 2018 14:29:59

Thank you for all your help and work on this John.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Excellent! Looking forward to purchasing a copy at the Convention (along with many other recent stellar surf releases). The Huntington Cads and the Dynotones are not included on the CD?

Last edited: Jul 06, 2018 15:33:21

No, they chose not to be included.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Great news. Glad it all worked out, I know a lot of effort went in to make this happen. Fingers crossed it'll open up new doors for our genre.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

GREAT news!!! Thanks, John!

Bob

Thanks for all the work!
But it would be cool to ask the bands about the cover artwork before release maybe?
AND I would like to have the "The" before the name Kilaueas! We are The Kilaueas, not only Kilaueas. So unfortunately this is not correct. There are other bands around with the name simply Kilaueas ( a metalband from Canada) or Kilauea ( a fusion band).
... the motive of the cover should be a display of the music and the bands. So to be honest this cover looks like bad 80´s style...? People should like to buy a CD or LP just because of the cover.
Just my 2 cents about this.
...I guess a few people are afraid to write their opinion here again...

...years ago in Germany there was a release, a compilation called "Krautsurf". The music was good imo, but the cover one of the worst ever done in the history of mankind... So people are not really interested when they see it and don´t want to buy it sometimes because of the cover...

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Hallo Ralf,
the cover of the "Krautsurf" CD as well as the title itself was
a gimmick showing Herbert "The Cruncher" Hooke´s kind of humour which unfortunately many people didn´t understand back then nor today.
"Surf rock is fun rock" Roger Christian once said on the extended single
"The Beach Years" 6 hours documentary hosted by him and Jim Pewter.
I can understand when you require that your band´s name is written correctly, but IMHO we all shouldn´t take it too seriously.
Ruediger

So, ok, I am sorry that I have no sense of humour.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

Thanks for all the work!
But it would be cool to ask the bands about the cover artwork before release maybe?
AND I would like to have the "The" before the name Kilaueas! We are The Kilaueas, not only Kilaueas. So unfortunately this is not correct. There are other bands around with the name simply Kilaueas ( a metalband from Canada) or Kilauea ( a fusion band).
... the motive of the cover should be a display of the music and the bands. So to be honest this cover looks like bad 80´s style...? People should like to buy a CD or LP just because of the cover.
Just my 2 cents about this.
...I guess a few people are afraid to write their opinion here again...

...years ago in Germany there was a release, a compilation called "Krautsurf". The music was good imo, but the cover one of the worst ever done in the history of mankind... So people are not really interested when they see it and don´t want to buy it sometimes because of the cover...

I agree Ralf, a more "marketing friendly" cover would help raise the sales for sure ... but notice all the band's names are missing "the" ... seems that Duff did't wanted that many "the's" ... looking forward to listen to the mix and mastering, since I was there this is a must have!

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

Thanks for all the work!

Since Ralf brought it up... I actually understand this and agree as we are The Mystery Men? with a question mark. 100% of the time with the question mark! Like The Kilaueas, this is something that separates us from the 8156 other Mystery Men out there.

HOWEVER... I really can't complain. We are so thrilled to be included, and the last thing we want to do is hold anything up or make a fuss over something that most people might find very trivial (even though we don't). I really DO appreciate all of the great work on this and I can't wait to get my hands on it and hear which songs of ours are on there! Laughing

They left the "El" on El Caminos Smile

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

And amazingly, they got our name correct!
No "e" and no "The"
Whoo hoo!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018 12:07:18

Emilien03 wrote:

I agree Ralf, a more "marketing friendly" cover would help raise the sales for sure ... but notice all the band's names are missing "the" ... seems that Duff did't wanted that many "the's" ... looking forward to listen to the mix and mastering, since I was there this is a must have!

To clarify the role of The graphic designer, when someone is paying you to create, and they already have a definitive idea of what they want on their product, you are sometimes obliged to go with the flow, and do what they say.

In this instance, this included: Overall layout, Colors, Band names.

The Band Names as shown on the cover, were specifically written out in this format by the record company and its producers.

The colors you are seeing on your computer, tablet or phone, can be very different from the actual physical product. This can be a result of the CMYK version being uploaded vs. the RGB version.

I know first hand, that there were many obstacles the producers of this project had to deal with, from the initial onset to the last little details prior to fabrication.

That being said, I sincerely hope you all appreciate the fact that someone like The Mark Linett and The John Blair put forth the time and energy to produce a collection of recordings such as this.

• Surfbeatnik

surfbeatnik wrote:

That being said, I sincerely hope you all appreciate the fact that someone like The Mark Linett and The John Blair put forth the time and energy to produce a collection of recordings such as this.

10000%! We are SUPER grateful and excited to be a part of it! Just wish for a little more communication with us about the details. The pedigree and band company are tops!

Will this also be available to purchase as a download?

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

surfbeatnik wrote:

Emilien03 wrote:

To clarify the role of The graphic designer, when someone is paying you to create, and they already have a definitive idea of what they want on their product, you are sometimes obliged to go with the flow, and do what they say.

In this instance, this included: Overall layout, Colors, Band names.

The Band Names as shown on the cover, were specifically written out in this format by the record company and its producers.

The colors you are seeing on your computer, tablet or phone, can be very different from the actual physical product. This can be a result of the CMYK version being uploaded vs. the RGB version.

I know first hand, that there were many obstacles the producers of this project had to deal with, from the initial onset to the last little details prior to fabrication.

Thanks for clarifying your role in this project, no doubt we appreciate this effort, that's why we are commenting about it .. and for sure will promote and buy the final product.

Big Razz

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018 07:52:39

What a great thing for the Surf community.
Very cool!

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

The eagle has landed!!! I'll have these CDs on my website for sale by the end of the week and they will be available at the Convention on the 4th. Congratulations to all the bands on this record and to SG101!!!!! This is monumental.

john
www.johnblair.us

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next