Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink 10th anniversary of the release of the Madeira's "Carpe Noctem"

Page 1 of 1

Forgive the self-promotion, but one of my old professors instilled in me a long time ago that "it's a sorry dog that doesn't wag his own tail"! Big Grin

This week is the 10th anniversary of the release of the Madeira's second album, "Carpe Noctem" by Double Crown Records, recorded at The Pop Machine in Indianapolis by Eric Klee Johnson and John 'Squirrel' Searle. It is our only album to be completely sold out (years ago, even!) on CD. It has also received a fair amount of acclaim in these ten years. It was chosen as one of the two albums of the year (2008) by the long-running UK-based Pipeline Instrumental Review zine, and included by the NUVO Indianapolis Weekly paper in their April 2014 article "100 Best Hoosier Albums Ever," among albums by music legends Wes Montgomery, the Jackson Five and John Mellencamp! Also in 2014 it made it up to #29 of the best 101 Surf Revival Albums according to the listeners of North Sea Surf Radio and the members of the Surf Guitar 101 forum - who also voted "The Saracen" as #43 and "Undercurrents" as #87 of the best 101 Surf Revival tracks from the USA. And most recently "Rolling Thunder" has been selected as the title music for the upcoming surf music documentary Sound Of The Surf!

imageimage

Here are several photos from the recording of this album. (For more, as well as some description of the recording session, go here: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/4539/ )

imageimageimageimage

Official band photos for the album, taken by Jeremiah Laughner in the fall of 2007:

imageimageimageimage

We are obviously very proud and fond of this album! If you've also grown fond of it, maybe take this occasion to give it another spin, especially if you hadn't in a while.

Here are a few YouTube song-videos, the first few done by Greg Gardner from Canada (thanks, Greg!):

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jun 02, 2018 12:02:51

I posted all of this on Facebook two days ago, and there's been some discussion of it there, including the following:

The concept for and the execution of the front cover (as well as the rest of the CD) artwork was by the astonishingly talented Ferenc Dobronyi, and here's what he had to say about it:

"Ivan told me the name of the album, and I was thinking about Carpe, meaning seize or grab, so I was thinking about a hand as the main image. Doing research for images I became acquainted with the Hamsa, a universally middle eastern sign for peace. So that became the focus. (Truthfully, it is my hand, or a mirrored image of it. I have double jointed thumbs which can bend back like that.) And because there are so many Moorish themes, I was drawn to the mosaics in the Alhambra, and overlayed a ceiling frieze, tweaking it to look like a henna tattoo. There's other details, but that's the basics. I was very pleased when Ivan renamed one of the songs as "Hamsa"."

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jun 02, 2018 12:10:25

Not fair that this is "out of print" and difficult for me to believe it has been ten years already. I have only a few sale copies left of this CD. I hope there are plans for a reissue.

I also like your band's new "tide pod" CD

I may find a poster of one of your early Cincinati MEMORIAL HALL CONCERT performance promotions which I would post here. Searching the files.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

It's a wonderfully great album. Every song is perfect.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Congrats Ivan

Jeff(bigtikidude)

One of my very favorite releases by any surf band at any time ever!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Big Grin Thank you, gentlemen!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I remember exactly when I got this album, as there were a handful still on the Milwaukee boat, as I went to Patrick's wife with a bag & said basically "Ahhlll ur merch ist belang to me." I cranked that sucker all the way back across the state that night, and still cranking it.

Alot of the live material that night was from Ancient Winds but this album blew me away compositionally as well.
Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Great work Ivan and gang. Fun way to start my day listening to this excellent collection of songs.

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

Just sold one yesterday, only have four left at eye records. Com
I found that poster but have not found art file so I guess I will take a photo to post.

It is one of the greatest of accomplishments, still can't believe already ten years have passed.

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

My dad was still alive when this banner of the poster was made and I had the guys sign it and I gifted him with it after the show. It's like 2 feet wide. The posters were 11x17. I found it earlier today . Ten years ...wow.

Poster created by my friend Maurice Mattei. Had Bud light for a sponsor and local free press City Beat. I should get more sponsors.

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 15:03:09

I was at that show! My first time seeing The Madeira as well as meeting Ivan and Don and Guy a bunch of other great people. Rode there and back in a folding chair in the back of The Surge!'s van! Really got to know everyone in The Surge beter and generally had a BLAST. Quite the formative trip for me!

Thanks for posting this!

First time I met you too Jamie. In a box in the attic I have more show posters. I still have to mix the eight track recording and edit the four camera shoot. All in the name of posterity. Was a great day.
As for CARPE NOCTUM: UNDERCURRENTS is a perennial favorite and I belive it to be a major hit should it ever get the exposure it deserved. Entire album is masterful in writing and performance and recording. Maybe someday some wise soul will include some of these songs in a major movie soundtrack.

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Wow, this thread just keeps on rolling! Big Grin Thank you very, very much for all the compliments, Wes, Craig, Jamie and in particular Don! Don, you still have copies of Carpe Noctem for sale?? Shock Amazing! And I loved seeing the poster again and reminiscing about that show. Thanks for reminding me of it - and that it was here that I first met Jamie! I remember it well! Did the Mystery Men? even exist back then? I'm thinking not quite yet. And Jamie, riding on a folding chair in the back of a van for some 8+ hours is truly some unbelievable dedication! Shock My hat's off to you, sir, you are truly a surf fan beyond compare!

Thanks again, all!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Page 1 of 1