Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Dobner Jakuar: Mark II

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Hi-pass like the 3rd switch on a stock Jag? How about a phase reversal and series-parallel switch in the other holes? That would yield a staggering number of possible sounds... probably more than any single guitarist born after 1970 would be interested in...

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Hi-pass like the 3rd switch on a stock Jag? How about a phase reversal and series-parallel switch in the other holes? That would yield a staggering number of possible sounds... probably more than any single guitarist born after 1970 would be interested in...

Yeah, the 'thin switch' it is usually called. I've got a bunch of fun tone caps to play with for the hi-pass.

I don't like phase, but I do already have series/parallel in a 4-way tele blade on each of my Jags. I really like that combo.

I have an Esquire tone-thickening switch on one of my Jags, it is worthless on its own, but pretty amazing when employed with a thin switch/series combo. Only the bridge pickup is affected by the Esquire switch.

I wouldn't mind adding a clipping diode/black ice module on one or two of them.

A kill switch in one of the empty positions?(you can glue the on/off switches to where the rollers are supposed to go). Habitually, I've always used a pedal tuner to cut the signal to my amp. Maybe it would be nice to have on guitar?

Jake,
I dig the Oak-Griggs (sp?) 4-position Tele switch too, installed on a guitar loaded with 2 Hallmark Mosrite-style pickups. I also put a phase switch on the neck p'up, and in combination with the very hot, barking p'ups, esp in series mode, can get one more cool nasal tone out of that guitar.

I like Mustangs with their 3-position pickup switches. No other Fender has that feature.

Squink Out!

I did some work tonight, each guitar got a new hi-pass cap/circuit(pink one got a .003mf comically large Black Beauty), and new vibratos. The black one got a black beauty tone cap, a neck shim, and a set of flats to match the new tone cap.

The vibrato on the pink Jag... it is a very good one. The one on the black Jag is pretty nice as well, it came off the pink one. It is replacing a Mastery vibrato that had a spring I didn't like. I also got an old Jazzmaster vibrato arm that is now on the black one. It is from a '81 Jazzmaster.

Winter is bringing poor light... which means fuzz, poor dynamic range, and inaccurate colors...

Some real thoughts today. I just love hi-pass filters in the series position. It doesn't sound too thin and you can really hear some of the harmonics battling. The .01mf cap is a really good match for the flatwounds, very happy with that choice. I had a .022 orange drop in there before.

Everyone should just buy the coolest caps they can and experiment. You can do so much with those things and it is easier than restringing a guitar!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015 21:11:46

Your builds are amazing Jake!

Looking back on 2015, I have found my guitar soulmate. This guitar is perfect, it plays as well as my ES-355 and that is saying something.

Jake, I know you've played around with different cap values with your Jags, what ones do you like best?

Another pretty portrait. Cool

The one at the top is the "sleeper" right? (Fender skin with Dario's circuit in there?) Like a Nova with a small-block V8 underneath.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Surf_Skater wrote:

Jake, I know you've played around with different cap values with your Jags, what ones do you like best?

On a heavier body I like .01uf and for lighter bodies I like .022uf.

I've got a mixture of Black Beauty and Bumblebees in these values. I also some in the high-pass filter.

Badger wrote:

Another pretty portrait. Cool

The one at the top is the "sleeper" right? (Fender skin with Dario's circuit in there?) Like a Nova with a small-block V8 underneath.

Both the blonde and brown have Gomez guts. The blonde one has a Gomez board and I am cobbling together the rest(it isn't finished) and the brown one has a Gomez chassis. That is my '63RI cabinet, the brown one. It is the only cab I will use live.

I'm gonna try to create my own logo for the blue gomez. And if I can't find anything just put a Fender logo on it. I much prefer it to have something.

JakeDobner wrote:

I'm gonna try to create my own logo for the blue gomez. And if I can't find anything just put a Fender logo on it. I much prefer it to have something.

Fender font Dobverb?

No, "With Good Intention and Wry Wit", like on my guitar headstocks and picks.

Hey guys, where has Jake been lately? I haven't seen him on the forum recently.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last login: Mar 21 2018 10:11 AM
Last post Mar 22

Sad

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

He's fine. He posts dog pics or guitar pics nearly every day.
They're quite lovely, most of them.

Where?

I hope he didn't leave because of that one guy (who is now apparently gone too).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

the gram.
I don't know what guy you're referring to otherwise.

Wait, what guy?

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next