Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Which is the 'purest' surf recording?

Page 1 of 1

By "purest," I mean which record, album, CD, or recorded performance most strongly embodies the spirit and meaning of surf? Which track or collection of tracks do you feel represents the quintessence, the ideal, the essential surf sound? Not necessarily the 'greatest' or most groundbreaking; rather, if someone asked you "What is surf music?", which recording would you play for them, and why?

(I'll wait for you guys to reveal your personal surf exemplars before advocating my own choice.)

Movin' best of the astronauts

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hate to be a sellout, but the first thing that came to mine

Pipeline

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Bustin Surfboards by Tornadoes because it isn't "pure" unless there are sound effects.

I kid, I kid.
td

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Something by Dick Dale. Miserlou is an obvious choice, but I like the Victor too. The essential middle Eastern tonalities. Trem picking. The gravitas, intensity and sense of urgency. Mar Gaya (Fender IV) of course has that in spades as well. But Dick Dale for me.

This does a pretty damn mean job of it. It must be the other side of the LP that has Ali Baba and I consider that one of the very best surf songs there is.

bigtikidude wrote:

Movin' best of the astronauts

i was going to say 'baja' by them ^^^

www.surfintheeye.com

Any surf music that uses the Boss FRV-1 Fender Reverb pedal
Dead Reverb Picard Face Palm

All the bands we really like bring their own sound & make it all better.

The Chantays version of Pipeline for basics.

The Lively Ones, others took it much further.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

Come on gang.
Original sounds in my opinion, It has to be the original driving sound of ' Wipeout!'.
I mean, how much more of an original sound can you get then the sounds of Wipeout?
Unless it's Pipeline, or Penetration.
These were the three that started it all!
Well at least for me and my friends in my SOCAL town in the '60's.

My answer, today anyway, is "Casbah" by Sandy Nelson/ Richie Podolor. Although Sandy Nelson is the artist to whom the recording is officially credited, it's really Richie Podolor's baby. Light on the drip; a little heavy on the drums (hence Sandy Nelson); to me it doesn't matter. The song itself is sheer brilliance: powerful, mysterious, exotic, exhilarating, and fun, this song embodies everything that I love the most about surf. That said, tomorrow's answer might are something completely different.

https://youtu.be/bSFfD03P7ns

Bob

I would like to mention The Original Surfaris because they have the wildness and energy while also a degree of lofi-ness. Plus Fender gear, spring reverb, piano and the quintessential drumming style.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 02:26:15

Yeah, Dick Dale (actually surfed, "Let's Go Trippin'") or The Astronauts (that reverb!).

The Astronauts, ironically from Boulder, CO. Probably named as such because of Scott Carpenter?

Modern? Jetty Motel (Los Straits) sounds like core surf music to me. Or maybe Calhoun Surf. There are even a couple others off that album; all ones by Danny Amis I think on his Jazzmaster.

I think it’s hard to improve upon Pipeline. Sure, it’s been played to death, but only because it is such an excellent tune. Surf Rider comes to mind also with Penetration and Mr. Moto as peers on the list.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

My nomination is the 'Surf Mania' album by the aptly-named Surf Teens. This thing is so surfy that it's practically a parody of early surf music, right down to the name of the band. First, they really were teens, the youngest being just 13. They comprised the classic (for me, anyway) line-up of lead and rhythm guitars, drums, and electric bass. They were about as First Wave as you can get, springing from coastal California and playing their first gig in 1963 when they opened for the Sentinals.

The listening experience is just like you'd expect: a reverberated but crystaline sound with all the surf riffs and cliches -- double picking, palm muting, nods to Chuck Berry, and very competent playing; it's like the surfiest bits of the Beach Boys but without the singing. I don't know what gear they used, but the guitar really sounds like a Jag, and that just makes it perfect. The album features genre icons like Intoxica, Steel Pier, Moment of Truth, and Bullwinkle, along with lesser-known but similar tunes, and the longest track is a brisk 2:40. The shortest is a hard-breathing and premature 1:27, making even the Ramones seem tedious by comparison!

Overall, I can't think of anything that screams 'Surf!' louder or evokes the original spirit better than this one.

MissingLink

Good Call!
Awesome album, listening to it right now, took me back to
my Junior High Dances...1961

Kim

"To do, is to be" Aristotle ~ "To be, is to do" Socrates ~ "Doobie, doobie- doo" Sinatra

Page 1 of 1