Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Announcing the release of the Madeira's "Center of the Surf" CD

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

We are extremely excited to announce the release of "Center of the Surf" (Double Crown Records), our second live album, this one recorded at the 10th Surf Guitar 101 Convention at the Alpine Village in Torrance, CA on August 5th, 2017. It was recorded and mixed by Mark Linett, triple-Grammy-winning producer and audio engineer who has worked with a long list of legendary artists, among them the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, Frank Zappa, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paul Simon, Los Lobos, Jane's Addiction, and Los Straitjackets. (See here for the full accounting of his many accomplishments). The tracklist is focused on the songs from our most recent studio album, "Ancient Winds", and we were also joined for the final three tracks of the set by John Blair on second rhythm guitar, as well as Jonpaul Balak on second bass guitar, making for an epic six-person line-up and a sound that can only be described as extraordinary in its scope! The cover and the CD package were designed by Stephen Blickenstaff, the well-known artist behind dozens of album covers (and many other artistic endeavors), including most famously "Bad Music for Bad People" by the Cramps.

The CD will be available for mail-order from Double Crown Records on April 24th, but we will have it available at our two CD-release shows next weekend, at Melody Inn in Indianapolis on Friday, 4/20, and the Player's Pub in Bloomington, IN on Saturday, 4/21 (as well as Southgate Revival in Cincinnati on Saturday, 5/5). We hope you can join us for these all-surf shows - see more details here and here.

Finally, we're also thrilled to announce that the compilation album of the 2017 Surf Guitar 101 Convention will be released by Sierra Records in July, and it will include two exclusive tracks by us, recorded at the convention but only available on this compilation. All the tracks on the compilation were again recorded and mixed by Mark Linett. Stay tuned for more info about this exciting release.

We hope you pick up and enjoy "Center of the Surf" and that we see you at one of our many upcoming shows in the next six months, whether in Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan, or Florida and New Jersey!

(Check out this brand new video, once again ably edited by Patrick, accompanying the live version of "Leviathan" from the "Center of the Surf" CD:

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I ordered mine yesterday. Looking forward to it!

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Congrats Ivan. Fans of the Madeira should note that though this is their second live album release, it's a unique record that stands on it's own. Like Ivan said, it was engineered by a professional at a level we rarely see in the surf world. And the music, as all of us know, is world class as well. I've heard some tracks and I'm very impressed with how this sounds, truly capturing all the power and fury of the moment. Order it now!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Thank you so very much, Danny, that's extremely nice of you to say! It's true, we are proud of this album and feel it captured us at our very best in a special environment, surrounded by surf music fans. We really expect all our fans will love it! The sound is crunchier, the tempos are faster, and the overall feeling is one of great deal of fun and energy!

Thank you for pre-ordering, Gellert! (I think that's Gellert!)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I'm so stoked about this! Can't wait to hear it.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I dunno... out of the blue I got this image of pulling shirts out of the dryer & there are now 5 Ivan-like substances going on hangers.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

There are going to be some really cool surf instrumental CD and vinyl LP releases in the second half of 2018. This new Madeira release is just the beginning. Get ready to be stoked. Our Record Store Day will last for weeks.

john

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

I've heard a few tracks, and this album is heavy! Especially the songs with John blair and Jonpaul Balak joining the core Madeira, it's a lush earthquake of rock you'll want dumped on your head (again and again.) I remember the walls of the Alpine Village pulsating with sympathetic vibrations, the entire set making my heart beat fast. I can't wait to relive it again. Also excited to hear the compilation album, I wish that could happen every year. You were wise to take advantage of Mark Linnet, who knows if that will ever happen again, he's a busy guy. Congratulations to Dane, Patrick, Todd, and Ivan! Just keep them coming.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I'm looking forward to this. Very stoked for all you guys!

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Thank you all so very much! Just because of all the nice comments, here's an SG101-exclusive preview: two tracks from the CD now on Soundcloud but not yet made public. Here are the private links:

Dilmohammed (originally by the Treble Spankers)

Intruder (originally by the Surf Coasters) - featuring John Blair on second rhythm guitar and Jonpaul Balak on second bass (both on channel right)

Hope you like!

(Oh, BTW, here's the full CD tracklist:
1. JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE SURF
2. HAIL, POSEIDON!
3. ANCIENT WINDS
4. THE ARGONAUT
5. LEVIATHAN
6. INTO THE DEEP
7. DILMOHAMMED
8. UNDERCURRENTS
9. RICOCHET
10. TRIBAL FURY +
11. SANDSTORM +
12. INTRUDER +
+ featuring John Blair and Jonpaul Balak

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 15:58:25

Getting stoked to hear this!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Aw yeah that does sound good. Crunchy is a good word to use!

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Wow, this sounds incredible! This is such an exciting release! Recorded at our very own SG101 convention!!! The sound is absolutely ferocius!

I really love the artwork...and "Center of the Surf" is a very appropriate title given the circumstances of the recording.

I can't wait for the forthcoming compilation also.

Congratulations Madeira!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I just listened to dilmohammed; don’t you guys ever play anything fast? Smile

That was amazing! I’m surprised that you don’t get first degree burns on your right hand from atmospheric friction. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thank you so very much, gentlemen, we really appreciate it!! We really think people will greatly enjoy the CD.

And speaking of the CD, THEY'RE HERE!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Super exciting!! Congrats!

Cool! Congrats on the release, Ivan Cool

After a brief setback, "Center of the Surf" CD will be shipping tomorrow The replacement discs have arrived today - and they're good!!

The elements are preparing...
https://www.facebook.com/647518395295230/videos/1627072030673190/?t=0

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Have you personally listened to each one? We can't afford any mistakes. Smile

That video reminds me of the Philadelphia Experiment.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

Have you personally listened to each one?

Yes, yes I have. Big Grin

We can't afford any mistakes. Smile

Nope! No more mistakes!

That video reminds me of the Philadelphia Experiment.

Yes

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: 1 2 Next