Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Don The Beachcomber closes April 15

Page 1 of 1

It's official. If you have a tiki mug there you need to claim it and take it home. Sad day. End of an era as they say.

Happy Sunsets!

Nuts!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Horrible. Should be on the National Register of Historic Places.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

It looks like all is not completely lost, Don's posted this farewell letter on Instagram.

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 18:10:01

Don's rent was staggering $35,000 a month.

Happy Sunsets!

It's devastating to see such a landmark go - there's some consolation that they plan to find another location. Hopefully Don's will live on with a new (and considerably cheaper) lease on life!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 10:29:08

Makes me sick at heart. I only was able to visit once, Meshugga Beach Party and George Tomsco were on the bill, and what a night.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Oh no! This is sad.

I wonder how long the building will sit vacant and fall apart if the landlord needs more than $35,000/mo. from any new tenant. This is so typical of California, especially Southern.
Reminds me of my trip to Hermosa Beach with an old buddy to visit the Mermaid Bar a few years ago. When we arrived, we found the place shuttered with a farewell sign on the door. After 100 years it was decided the bar needs to be torn down to build a more profitable hotel or something in its place.
This is the scourge of LA, where greed is the only real (as in real estate) motivation. Since culture, history and community are difficult to describe in terms of transaction and profit, they literally don’t figure.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 10:05:30

Greed is the motivator of all things real estate, especially in California. But it doesn't have to be California, they do the same ignorant and greedy things here in Delaware. There was a ancient house converted to a restaurant south of town, on the register of historic places and really cool with a Greek Revival front on the house. They tore it down last year before anybody could complain and the land sits vacant to this day.

There is an excellent piece about Don's, written by Corky Carrol in today's Orange County Register. Can someone with computer skills help me by posting a linky. For some it will be a very emotional read. Corky is more than a famous surfer, he can tell a good story, he is a treasure.

Happy Sunsets!

As requested: Article on Don the Beachcomber’s

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018 10:10:33

Synchro,
Thank you for the assistance. BTW that is a good looking cat! It would probably cost more than a Woodie full of Stewart surfboards, but I wish someone would save that Don's neon fish sign. Most leases require the tenant to remove all signage at the end of the lease term.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018 10:57:10

tahitijack wrote:

Synchro,
Thank you for the assistance. BTW that is a good looking cat!

My pleasure.

She is a good looking cat, however she is wearing an E-collar at the moment, having been spayed yesterday, so she’s not quite so chipper. Most importantly, she’s a good cat and a fine companion.

synchro wrote:

As requested: Article on Don the Beachcomber’s

Great article - My family used to rent a beach house in Surfside in the summer from about '68 to '73. Corky lived a few houses away. He was a cool guy and always nice to us gremmies. He's right that Sam's sign looked right over the highway at those beach houses. The neon would light up the backyard at night. Great memories...

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Page 1 of 1