Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink SG101 Archive: Jim Messina and His Jesters

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Good question,
And which album did the tribute band choose their songs from?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I personally don't know the Thimble version, I don't have it, and I don't think I ever heard it, so I can't answer that question.

bigtikidude wrote:

And which album did the tribute band choose their songs from?

Both, whatever sounded the best. Here you go, Jeff:

THE BREEZE AND I (‘73)
MASATLAN RALLY (‘73)
THE COSSACK (‘73)
CHIHUAHUA (‘73)
THE THING (‘64)
TAMALE WAGON (‘64)
A-RAB (‘64)
HIGH VOLTAGE (‘73)
YANG BU (‘73)
THE JESTER (‘73)

(One note: we did use the slightly different chord progression from the '64 version of High Voltage, though the rest of the song came from the '73 version - so, it's a bit of a hybrid.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan, the Jesters tribute was just great! (I heard it on KFJC.)

It was also interesting to hear in your interview afterwards that the songs on the '64 LP are sped up. I never would have known since I wouldn't have dared to try playing along to them. Uh-Oh

Rossmossis wrote:

I know the original "Dragsters" release has all the car noises and stuff and the 1973 release on Thimble has different takes without noises... so are the versions on the 1982 Audio Fidelity release the same versions as the Thimble one?

I only know the '64 LP and the Thimble version, so no definite answer from me either... Dead

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

Ivan, the Jesters tribute was just great! (I heard it on KFJC.)

Thank you, Simon, I'm glad to hear that! It was such a blast to do! A real privilege to play with those three guys, too.

It was also interesting to hear in your interview afterwards that the songs on the '64 LP are sped up. I never would have known since I wouldn't have dared to try playing along to them. Uh-Oh

Smile Yeah, that was one of the main reasons why we went with the '73 versions for most of the songs, just to make it easier on ourselves in terms of learning the songs (having them in the right keys). But I do think that in many cases the '73 versions were a bit better, too, sounding better and played better. The arrangements often also somehow sound more fully fleshed out, too. I really hope we get to find out the story behind the '73 release at some point - why did it happen, where did those recordings come from, why they weren't released in the '60s, etc. One of the final, enduring mysteries of the first wave of surf music!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I think Zak had talked about some of this, Maybe Warren remembers some of what Zak had posted.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2