Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Jokers overview

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

bigtikidude wrote:

Ivan,
thanks for all the info on the Jokers, that is one band
I sadly missed the boat on, wish I could get all 4 cds.
Cry

Chritoph,
thanks for the Info on the Cousins,
I had seen that video for Bouda before,
but thought it was the jokers, and couldn't find it
recently.

Hey Jeff,

I will take a look for those Joker CDs, maybe I find some in a shop downtown. Are you also interested in the Cousins?

www.LosVenturas.be

bigtikidude wrote:

as for Belgian beer, I will stick to Chimay, Wink
the Blue preferably.

Jeff,
You have a good taste.
Cheers!)

www.LosVenturas.be

Hey Cristoph!!

Wow, thanks for all the cool info!!! Really appreciate it!

LosVenturas wrote:

Thanks Ivan for your extensive post regarding The Jokers. Nice to give this 'fabulous' sixties band some exposure.

YES!! It's about time it happens!! Way too good of a band to languish in obscurity!

I'm sure some of you guys this will be a great new treasure. I'm from Antwerp and of course this is one of my favorite instro bands, as you can see in this picture.

WOW, what a photo!! Soooo cool!! (What, no Madeira CDs??? Twisted Evil )

On this website, you can find the whole story of the band.
www.pmouse.nl/jokers/jokers.htm
Unfortunately it's all written in dutch, maybe you can try to do a google translate on it ;)

That probably won't help a whole lot. Smile Maybe you could translate it for all of us? Smile

Any way there is a cool story of their 'Spanish adventure'. [snip] In 1963 'Los Jokes' (as they where called in Spain) recorded there first stereo album 'Guitarras en Stereo', one year later it was released in Japan.

That's a great story! I left out this album from my reviews above since I hadn't had a chance to listen to Best of Vol. 3 very much, and that entire album is on there. In addition, it seemed strange that the debut album by the Jokers was released in Spain but not in Belgium, but now I see how it happened. Anyway, I've been listening to that vol. 3 CD more since I wrote the above reviews, and this Spanish album is quite good and interesting. The band clearly doesn't quite yet have the confidence, uniqueness and skills that they showed on later album, but it's still very good. A little bit more straightforward Euro-instro.

8-9 year ago I started a Surf/Euro instro/Indo-rock band called 'The Hydrosonics'. [snip] you can listen to all 10 tracks on this
website
thehydrosonics.tk.

Very cool stuff, look forward to checking this out more! Thanks for letting us know.

we played a lot of Jokers stuff, including 'Saber Dance', this was a great live song.

Hells yes! I love it!!!

Coincidental I was talking last weekend about this song with the other
guys of Los Venturas, to maybe play this song again on SG'12.

Do it!!

If some one is intersted in CDs of vinyls from the Jokers, I can check for it in some shops here in Antwerp, just let me know.

thanks, Cristoph! I'd love to get the vol. 2 and 3 CDs, plus that Cousins CD, that looks great, too. I greatly appreciate your offer!

BTW, Ivan I suggest you try some of that 'Duvel' as you mention in the last part regarding the Spider 8 recordings.

That wasn't me writing - I just copied the text from the eBay auction. But I definitely do know Duvel, and love it! I've had it many times. Belgians really know beer, that's for damn sure!

Looking forward to meeting you in person in August, Cristoph! Thanks again.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan, thanks for the great post. This band has mostly slipped under my radar until now. Off to find more...

Don

Hi Guys,

Today I went checking for some Joker records in a shop in Antwerp.

I will start with the good news:
I found a lots of vinyls, so for those who are looking for it, I can help ya. Price for most records where between 8 - 12 € (about 11-16$) and from about every record there where several copies. Here are some pics I made, check out the 'Beat Guitar' album with a copy of the fanclub magazine.

Now the bad news:
I found no CDs, I asked the shop owner if he could order some, but apparently this CDs are out off print. I will check some other shops in town, but don't expect to much from those.

Here is a link where you can find the whole discography of the band:
http://www.pmouse.nl/jokers/jokers2.htm

If I have some more time one of this days, I will try to translate the whole story form Dutch to English, so pleas be patient ;)

@ Ivan, I never saw any of the The Madeira CDs here in the shops, but I'll guess I can buy some this summer hé. I'm very exited to see you guys, I was always a big Cossack fan!

Grtz,

Chris

Los Venturas

www.LosVenturas.be

Christoph,
Did you buy any of those records for your self?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Christoph,
Did you buy any of those records for your self?

No, but I already had the 'Go Latin' and 'Play all time hits' album, I think I'll gonna buy 'Guitar Beat' with the copy of the fanclub magazine. This one personally has the best track on it:
Football Boogie / Spanish Hully Gully / Black Eyes / You Are Always In My Heart / Moscow Guitar / Ronny Boy / Song of Delilah / Drina March / Carioca / Chattanooga Choo Choo/ Gloria In Excelsis Deo / Sabre Dance / Tabou / Hully Gully-Stop!

I also have the 4 CDs:
THE BEST OF THE JOKERS VOL.1
THE BEST OF THE JOKERS VOL.2
THE BEST OF THE JOKERS VOL.3 - RARITIES
THE JOKERS VOL4 - RARE RECORDINGS

and a copy of the 'Spider 8' album

www.LosVenturas.be

Andy from Los Venturas send me this link regarding the 4 Joker CDs. This shop seems to have some left over (last update on Feb 18 2012)

http://www.instro4u.nl/catalogue_dutch.htm

www.LosVenturas.be

LosVenturas wrote:

Now the bad news:
I found no CDs, I asked the shop owner if he could order some, but apparently this CDs are out off print. I will check some other shops in town, but don't expect to much from those.

I actually asked a Dutch friend some years ago to see if he could find vol's 2 and 3, and he never did. I knew they were very rare. But:

Andy from Los Venturas send me this link regarding the 4 Joker CDs. This shop seems to have some left over (last update on Feb 18 2012)

Wow, they have them in stock!! Awesome! Thanks, Cristoph! This could be a very dangerous website for my wallet.....

@ Ivan, I never saw any of the The Madeira CDs here in the shops, but I'll guess I can buy some this summer hé. I'm very exited to see you guys, I was always a big Cossack fan!

You actually found those Cossacks CDs in shops in Belgium?? Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea they were on sale anywhere in Europe. Anyway, thanks, glad to hear you like the Cossacks, and I'll be happy to hook you up with the Madeira stuff in August! (In the meantime, you can download a bunch of free songs, including three brand new ones, here: http://themadeira.net/songs/ )

BTW, I spent some time listening to the Hydrosonics at your link - you guys were really good! What a fantastic selection of songs! I was amazed that you covered the Penetrators' Redlined, and did such an amazing job with it, too! I always love to see modern surf bands covering other modern surf bands. And the rest of the tracks really cover the entire gamut of surf/instro: the Shadows, rautulanka, surf, Euro-instro, and Aussie surf (what a cool choice to cover Storm Warning by the (Australian) Nocturnes!). Big thumbs up! It's a shame you guys didn't get very far, judging by the selection of covers you probably would have come up with some cracking originals. (Was Pep S an original? I'm not familiar with that one.)

Thanks again, Cristoph!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

LosVenturas wrote:

Now the bad news:
I found no CDs, I asked the shop owner if he could
order some, but apparently this CDs are out off print.
I will check some other shops in town, but don't expect
to much from those.

I actually asked a Dutch friend some years ago to see
if he could find vol's 2 and 3, and he never did. I
knew they were very rare. But:

Andy from Los Venturas send me this link regarding
the 4 Joker CDs. This shop seems to have some left over
(last update on Feb 18 2012)

Wow, they have them in stock!! Awesome! Thanks,
Cristoph! This could be a very dangerous website for
my wallet.....

If you need help with ordering the Jokers stuff, just let me know, perhaps ship it to me to save shipping cost and I bring it along this summer... Any way, let me know if I can help ya...

@ Ivan, I never saw any of the The Madeira CDs here
in the shops, but I'll guess I can buy some this summer
hé. I'm very exited to see you guys, I was always a big
Cossack fan!

You actually found those Cossacks CDs in shops in
Belgium?? Wow, that's amazing. I had no idea they
were on sale anywhere in Europe. Anyway, thanks, glad
to hear you like the Cossacks, and I'll be happy to
hook you up with the Madeira stuff in August! (In the
meantime, you can download a bunch of free songs,
including three brand new ones, here:
http://themadeira.net/songs/ )

Yes, The Space Cossacks found there way to the 'better' Belgian music stores. Thanks for the Madeire download link, some years ago I downloaded the first 2 songs, wich I like very much. I see there is a lot of new stuff added, I gonna check it out. btw congrats with your new album, how was te release party?

BTW, I spent some time listening to the Hydrosonics at
your link - you guys were really good! What a
fantastic selection of songs! I was amazed that you
covered the Penetrators' Redlined, and did such an
amazing job with it, too! I always love to see modern
surf bands covering other modern surf bands. And the
rest of the tracks really cover the entire gamut of
surf/instro: the Shadows, rautulanka, surf,
Euro-instro, and Aussie surf (what a cool choice to
cover Storm Warning by the (Australian) Nocturnes!).
Big thumbs up! It's a shame you guys didn't get very
far, judging by the selection of covers you probably
would have come up with some cracking originals. (Was
Pep S an original? I'm not familiar with that one.)

Thanks again, Cristoph!

Yeah, The Hydrosonics had a good mix of all kind a instro genres, in the end we even played a Cossacks song 'Transilvanian Orbit' Big Grin

Pep's is a song of that other Belgian band 'The Cousins', but we added an extra part in the Middle to give it some variation, we also played Bouddah.

Grtz,

Chris

www.LosVenturas.be

The Fabulous Jokers are truly one of the most iconic instrumental bands of the early sixties.. Taboo was one of the very first albums I got when I was a kid!!

Last night on Belgian television, there was a tv-program about the increasing traffic and rise of traffic jams on Belgian roads during the sixties. To make the queuing more pleasant, they organized shows at the entrance of a tunnel here in Antwerp. And guess what , first band on the bill where The Jokes.

Here is a short clip I made with my phone, The Jokers playing Instant Coffee.

Los Venturas
The Hydrosonics (RIP)

Ha! I don't think the motorists could hear them too well.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hi !

My name is Clint Pepermans

The son from the drummer of the Fabulous Jokers.
I was searching some pictures from the jokers on google and stumbled in on this forum.

If there are people who need more info on the Jokers and theyr music Lp's singles or Cd's please let me know
I have the resources Smile

Hopefully you can share your interests and I supply you all the info.
For the 4 rare CD lovers , I can get them for you !

By the way , I want to mention as last that still 3 members are still Jamming each friday at the garage of my father this at the age of 78 77 and 72
Actual unbelievable but there still enjoying it with a couple of beers

Regards,
Clint Pepermans

Hi Clint, thanks for the letting us know. Great to hear they still enjoy making music with some beers. So Big Mama Jeanne keeps the Duvel flowing (as mentioned on the back of the 'Spider 8' album)? Smile

Los Venturas
The Hydrosonics (RIP)

Hello Clint and welcome to the site! I'm sure myself and many others would love to get a hold of some CDs. What do you have available and what is the best way to contact you (email or private message here)?

Please give our regards to the band!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Boost wrote:

Hi Clint, thanks for the letting us know. Great to hear they still enjoy making music with some beers. So Big Mama Jeanne keeps the Duvel flowing (as mentioned on the back of the 'Spider 8' album)? Smile

I talked to my dad concerning the review of the Lp's they made. And indeed we had a great laugh how they made that record. The only thing he's proud of is the drumsolo in Pulsar

Guys,

First of all the band was very suprised that they are still bein followed oversees. Probably they will jam they're classics an extra hour more this afternoon.:-)
For Cd's records you can always contact me on the following Email.
Clint.pepermans@Gmail.com
My father is the only one who has the collection complete and I still can get hold of almost all the records and cd's

T

Thanks for the updates and email to get cds from you.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

thanks for pointing me to this thread @Brianneal ...I really like the later stuff they did as a non trad surf fan. the dearmond pedal here is sweet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgE3LSyY5lU

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next