Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
147 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Brownface build?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Weber used to sell a 6g13A kit (Vibrasonic) but no longer, I was really disappointed when I decided to get one only to find it was discontinued. They still have the layout, schematic and list of parts here

Hey all,

I really appreciate everyone's constructive input on this matter and do take each warning and caution seriously and graciously. Aside from the safety matter, I do hear you on the likely "lack of savings" issue as well.

My thought is that it's not simply an economic issue. It just seems way cooler to bring another Showman (type) amp into the world when there are so few extant. And I really dig the idea of having built my own gear.

While I have no experience either building or designing amps and am generally clueless when it comes to wiring, I also feel it is a surmountable task to overcome these deficiencies. A salient Robert Heinlein quote echos in my ears.

If I did decide to leap into the task, I would most likely seek to make additions to the Fender design. Tqi, I appreciate what you said about the blackface chassis being viable. I can tell the thought of this excites you, even if just a little! I had actually been thinking along similar lines: one of those silverface PA 100 or 135 monsters would provide all kinds of room and parts!

That Bandmaster posted is, I admit, also tempting. 40 watts might not be sufficient for the kind sonic surf slaughter I plan but perhaps it wouldn't be too involved a process to upgrade it with a Showman transformer and whatever little circuit differences there were? What would it cost to have a "Bandman" or "Showmaster" faceplace whipped up...?

Redfeather wrote:

What would it cost to have a "Bandman" or "Showmaster" faceplace whipped up...?

There are lots of ways to do it, but doing it right would probably be $150(screened on metal), doing it sufficiently would be like $75-100? None of these includes design.

Here are the step before you build.

1.) Price it out.
2.) Learn how to read a wiring diagram.
3.) Learn how to draw a wiring diagram if you want to make additions to the circuit
4.) Start practicing by wiring some instrument cables up, you need to learn to solder. And you need to learn how to solder well, how to remove solder, how to get solder to stick to larger metal objects without burning them out. And you need to learn how to strip as well, not the hardest.
5.) Then you can start buying. Perhaps just buy the circuit board first, that is the cheapest part.

Roger that, Jake. I wasn't entirely serious about the faceplate, as I'd probably want to do something a little less explicitly Fender, but I appreciate your input and particularly your list.

I have a whole lot of experience soldering but the rest is definitely a must. I also have access to a wealth of electronics knowledge in the form of a former co-worker who's an EE and tube radio guy. There would be plenty of research, study, and planning before anything was purchased.

Oh, and probably lots of annoying questions posted on web forums...

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:08:45

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:08:34

Tqi wrote:

Redfeather wrote:

one of those silverface PA 100 or 135 monsters would provide all kinds of room and parts!

...please don't do that. A PA 100 or 135 is basically already a silverface Showman/Bassman power design with a different tone stack. You could convert it into a SF Showman without a huge amount of work, but there wouldn't be altogether much point. You'd never make it sound like a 6G14 brownface without destroying the chassis anyway, to fit the extra tubes. If you're just building a Silverface or Blackface circuit, you can buy a BF Twin kit, tweak a few capacitors and put it in a head - One AB763 Showman.

The reasons I suggested the Twin Reverb are:

• It has holes for exactly six preamp and four power tube sockets, which is the right number for a Brownface showman.

• Mojotone make an affordable predrilled chassis for it, designed to take the 100W Showman transformers.

• They also make an affordable newbuild 'Blackface' cabinet for it that you could easily have recovered in 'blonde'.

You can build the entire thing non-destructively to 1962 spec, with all-new parts - and decorate it however you want.

I've always wondered about this. Could a Blackface Twin be voiced similar to a Brownface Showman by modifying the tone stack? I don't have schematics handy, so I'm just blindly speculating, but there is a degree of commonality. I think the the transformers may be fairly different, however.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:08:23

Tqi, thanks for continuing to weigh in. I didn't realize the silverface PAs were so ill suited. I guess the size and high power rating dazzled me.

I do have a Frontman 212R but I don't actually use it. I've come to realize it's a very thin, bassless, and ill-suited thing for what I (we all) like. And the volume knob is like an angry pitbull. I got it for 80 bucks before I knew anything. I use a Carvin X100B running through a Bassman 50 cabinet with (2) D130s for serious duty and currently a SS Yamaha VR6000 for quick on-and-off jam sessions. I've been trying to figure out if the Carvin, which is fairly flexible, can actually be configured to sound something like a Fender but without direct comparison I just don't know. It's much, much more mid heavy than a Fender blackface and probably brownface as well. Considering its era and intended target (metal), its mid-heavy tone stack probably makes sense. I'm borrowing a Deluxe Reverb this weekend to do some trials just for curiosity's sake.

Anyway, the blackface chassis sounds like a good bet, short of fabricating my own. Although it would be cool to have some onboard reverb as well...

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:08:13

Goto Page: Previous 1 2