Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Dick Dale's "Surfing Drums" guitar tab?

Page 1 of 1

I'm hooked on Dick Dale & The Del Tones song "Surfing Drums", anyone have a guitar tab for it?

Is it comprised of segments from some of his other songs?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016 17:34:29

I don't have a tab but I did learn most of it a while back. I hope someone has a tab but this kind of song is tedious to tab.

It's a clave rhythm (Bo Diddley style) in E and is heavy on bluesy rock'n'roll licks it is possible to learn most of the elements found in the song by seeking similar more common material or even other Dick Dale rock'n'roll solos. I would recommend familiarizing yourself with some typical bluesy/rock/surf/dick-dale licks (lots of "bending the g string" stuff and then trying to learn it by ear.

I DID see a youtube video from a french guitar magazine company teaching how to play some of this song. I'm struggling to find it at the moment. I'll post it when (if?!) I find it.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016 16:30:32

Thank you Pierre, I would greatly appreciate a link if you find one (I don't read French but I'll also search).

I'm a longtime (back to '80) George Thorogood and The Delaware Destroyers fan so the Bo Diddley beat was familiar, so were other parts which I'm positive I've heard before but can't place.

I recently got an "import" three (3) CD set "Surf! The Absolutely Essential 3 CD Collection" and Dick Dale's "Surfing Drums" was included, it was the first time I ever heard it. It's just mesmerizing. Oh, and the aforementioned CD, I love it and highly recommend it for any "Surf Music" fan.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016 17:58:57

And Pierre if you are in France or the surrounding countries I hope "John Has A Long Mustache" (codeword for D-Day/Operation Overlord invasion of Normandy), you be safe, keep your head on a swivel when out in public and if that "little voice" says something isn't "right" listen to it and get the hell out of the area. Best in addition to having a guitar and an amp that you have the means to protect yourself and your loved ones if you know what I mean. Nobody should be forced to hide in their homes awaiting their turn to die.

Just realized you are in Canada, the same thing I said above applies there as well, remember the soldier at the War Memorial.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016 18:02:59

Found it! It's strange how hard it can be to find a video on youtube sometimes. I was totally searching those exact words. I think it was being filtered out because it's french and I'm in Canada.

Anyways, about the video. I just watched half of it and you probably don't really need to understand what he is saying. Lot's of great close up of the licks. I think you will find it very useful as I had when I learned it. It's a hard one BUT the licks are very useable; worth the effort. Good luck!

Yes, I remember the War Memorial shooting. Our building was under lock down. Very surreal experience.

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

el_camello wrote:

Found it! It's strange how hard it can be to find a video on youtube sometimes. I was totally searching those exact words. I think it was being filtered out because it's french and I'm in Canada.

Anyways, about the video. I just watched half of it and you probably don't really need to understand what he is saying. Lot's of great close up of the licks. I think you will find it very useful as I had when I learned it. It's a hard one BUT the licks are very useable; worth the effort. Good luck!

Yes, I remember the War Memorial shooting. Our building was under lock down. Very surreal experience.

Thank you very much for the link, I've been looking too using pidgeon French and English but hadn't had any luck yet. Thanks again.

el_camello wrote:

Oh yes, THAT'S IT! Just saw the first 2 minutes and it even covers the opening but I don't know what he's saying. I should've taken French in high school. Damn at 53 yrs old I can curse in a half dozen languages (Polish, German, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Serbian, Russian) but can't speak anything other than English fluently.

Is that only an "E" zine like an "online" magazine or do they offer news stand (paper) editions with sheet music/tab?

Is the magazine delivered "electronically" by email or can you get a DVD/CD?

Are there multiple language settings that allow the user to select English or French?

If it's DVD/CD or delivered by email does it have printable sheet music and/or tab?

Once I know the above I'll see if I can order a back issue DVD/CD, email or paper copy.

I'm already trying to figure out what the guy is saying while watching the video on the YouTube link you provided.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016 23:53:45

Link to magazine issue

You can buy print or electronic. I doubt there are language settings.
It seems to imply tabs are included in the issue for the Dick Dale lesson ("partitions" means tabs/sheetmusic in french).

Watched more of the video this morning. He doesn't really say anything relevant to playing guitar in the video. Mostly history stuff ("it's played on a Bo Diddley rhythm") or things like "I'll show you the riff" and "Here it is again".

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

el_camello wrote:

Link to magazine issue

You can buy print or electronic. I doubt there are language settings.
It seems to imply tabs are included in the issue for the Dick Dale lesson ("partitions" means tabs/sheetmusic in french).

Watched more of the video this morning. He doesn't really say anything relevant to playing guitar in the video. Mostly history stuff ("it's played on a Bo Diddley rhythm") or things like "I'll show you the riff" and "Here it is again".

Thanks again, I placed an order about 2:00am intending to get the DVD. I hope it's the "paper" magazine with a DVD. I spent over a hour copying "passages" on their website and using a page I found off Google to translate them, it was a tedious process.

Mods:

I have a question. When the Xtreme Guitare magazine arrives and I get the transcribed tab for Dick Dale's "Surfing Drums" can I scan it and upload it to the site or will that violate "copyright" laws?

And for anyone wondering, "yes", I'm still awaiting delivery of the magazine. It took the staff nearly two weeks to answer my inquiries on approximate delivery date and they said it can take up to four (4) weeks for orders of "back issues" to arrive plus it's coming from France (to the USA).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016 23:42:34

Since it's been determined that you shouldn't upload the actual tabs. Why not learn the tune, and upload an instructional video to youtube, and then post it here? Best of luck with the song!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Great idea Danny. Good luck blackheartsfan!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks everyone! Let me warn you at age 53 I just learned how to take a screenshot last week and already forgot how to do (yeah it's that brain injury) so I may not be "the guy" for an instructional video, hell I don't own an I-phone or a cellphone with a camera.

I will be scanning the "Surfing Drums" guitar tab into my computer and saving a copy for myself and will be willing to email it but all of this is moot until if/when the magazine arrives.

After six (6) weeks the Guitare Xtreme magazine has finally arrived. I just watched the included instructional DVD video while trying to compare it to the tab in the magazine, I'm not sure if it's contains the complete song (Surfing Drums). Unlike a lot of DVD's available here in the USA which offer language options there is NO "English" option on the DVD so I'm stuck listening to the lesson in French (hell, it's ALL "Greek" to me).

I'll begin learning the song tonight and when I have a few minutes either tonight or tomorrow I'll scan the sheet music/tab and PM it to those who want a copy. There is NO "printable" guitar tab option on the DVD which surprises me and the tab doesn't appear to have any of the symbols indicating "tremolo" picking which I know the song contains.

Last edited: May 11, 2016 18:54:47

To those who inquired about the Dick Dale "Surfing Drums" tab/sheet music, PM me and provide your email address as the private message system here at SurfGuitar101 doesn't allow me to "attach" files/folders to messages.

For those interested in Dick Dale's "Surfing Drums" guitar tab Private Message (PM) me with your email address and I'll send it out as a PDF file. Be aware the PM system here doesn't allow me to "attach" a file when I reply to your inquiries so I MUST send it by email.

As for the accuracy of the "Surfing Drums" guitar tab/sheet music, it is close but I believe the guitar tab/sheet music is incomplete, there is definitely a section and some notes missing. When I send the PDF files I will include a link another member here (el camello) provided for the corresponding YouTube video lesson, the video is in "French" but you may be able to slow it down and decipher some of the sections omitted from the printed tab.

link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64-3xssMbU

Message for "chelaseawhite49":

Check your PMs here at SurfGuitar101 and get back to me so I can email you the guitar tab for "Surfing Drums".

chelseawhite49:

Check your email (not your PM here) tab has been sent

Page 1 of 1