Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink -

Page 1 of 1

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:59:16

Is a tube (valve) amp a must? If so, based on your want list my recommendation after playing bass in bands for nearly forty years is the Bassman 100T. Those are great bass heads but they are not inexpensive.

Modern solid state bass amps have improved exponentially in the past few years. Before you spend more than you need to, I would suggest that you "test drive" some of them. The Bassman 500 which is available as a head or a combo has received very positive reviews over on the TalkBass forum ( https://www.talkbass.com/ ) which has an International following.

The hottest thing in the bass market right now are the small, lightweight Class D amps, some of which have tube preamps. I've had a Mesa D-800 (800 watts) head for a couple years that was just under $700 USD and it will blow the doors off my trusty Dual Showman that is played through a proper 2x15, E-V loaded bass cabinet. That head fits in a relatively small gig / storage bag that came with it, that is about the size of a laptop bag. There are several other other manufacturers out there with some really good Class D amps. BTW, the aforementioned Bassman 500 is a Class D amp.

Cabinet choice is also very important but is a very subjective thing. I prefer cabs with one or two 15's but some players prefer 10's or 12's to get "their" sound.

Hope this helps!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018 11:03:51

There's a '69 Bassman Silverface on Gumtree at the mo - London.

I noticed Jonpaul had his tongue out for a Blackstar during NAMM! Either he's having a grin or he's sniffing out something good about those amps.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:59:31

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:59:47

In my experience, the vintage BF/SF 50 watt Bassman head will sound great at lower levels but break-up readily at bar band volume (especially with a drummer)...unless you are in a pretty quiet band. If you are looking for something vintage the Bassman 100 or 135 would be a much better choice with a lot more headroom and not as expensive as a Showman. The modern Bassman 100T would be awesome but a hell of a lot more amp than you need for a 2x10 in a pub. Keep in mind that any vintage amps you come across may need tubes, caps, etc. and other maintenance issues. Don't laugh but the Fender Rumble 500 2x10 is a nice rig that looks the part and will blow the doors off your Mom's living room and most small pubs!!! Good luck with your search!!!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:59:58

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:00:15

Tqi wrote:

Woody, I looked more into the Bassman 100T. Haven't had a chance to try one yet (ironically, Mansons didn't have one) but I'm looking forward to it. The one thing that's making me wary, is the construction. I love my Vaporizers, but I'm aware that the PCB's and Op-amps may become an issue in 30 years time. Once I have an amp, it's my intention to use it until either I'm dead or the roving warlords in control of what-was-once-Britain hold me at gunpoint to steal my generators and solar panels. The automagic bias wackiness is actually a big hindrance to me from the perspective of longevity. I also really liked the sound of the '50' through a good cab, so I'm swayed a little toward the vintage end. But if I can find one of the damn things, I'll test it anyway, and if it sounds right then my paranoia can go on a very sudden vacation to Tahiti, because I'll be buying it. Ka-Ching!!!

IMO, if you want a "forever" vintage tube/valve amp for bass, wait until a well taken care of one of these becomes available. A 50 watt Bassman just isn't going to cut it except in a smaller venue. Prices on Showman heads have declined substantially in the past couple of years due to the Class D popularity surge coupled with the fact that at least in the USA, many of today's players want lighter, easier to transport gear. But do consider that these vintage Fenders are now 50+ year old amps and they will require upkeep to keep them running properly. Good amp techs generally don't work cheaply.

Also, you might not want to rule out a brand new 100T until you've had a chance to try one out. As modern tube amps go, they are surprisingly good. A good friend and former bandmate of mine has one and it will easily keep up with a well-maintained Showman.

Happy hunting! Smile

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018 13:09:40

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:01:01

My wife's first "real" bass amp was a 50 watt silverface Bassman. She moved to larger amps as needs changed, but these days, the monster amps sit unused. When we play anymore, it's in someone's house, so power isn't needed, and she wants the tone that her old Bassman had. I am in the process of building her a Bassman, but am using the Bassman 10 circuit, (it doesn't have the extra gain stage that works so well for guitar players!)
Good luck with your search!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:01:18

Page 1 of 1