Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Brownface build?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Has anyone here built their own brownface amp from either a kit or scratch?

With the scarcity and high prices of brownface Showmans, it seems like a reasonable alternative. I'm aware that some have recreated them (Gomez) and there are other current people selling a variety of brownface clones but the Showman doesn't always show up among the lower wattage offerings.

When I look at an original brownface amp on Reverb or whatever, I just think to myself that it's sure a lot of money for what isn't really that much "stuff." A board, some caps and resistors, some big transformers, and a lot of soldering. I have no experience building amps but I'm sure I could do it, with the right guidance or reference. If I wanted to undertake this, would anyone here say it's a good idea?

Here you go

Mojotone Brownface Kit..

Cool, but that's not a Showman. Wish I had the knowledge and skill to build, or for that mater repair, tube amps. It's a lost art in this area.

It's a pretty terrible idea. I guarantee it's a lot more expensive than you think, which is why Gomez and others are out of business. No way you do it for under $1000 if you use half way decent parts (assuming you have a head cab built).

It will also probably won't go right with this as your first go around. It's not as easy as you think.

Why does if have to be a showman? What is your budget? Comb Reverb frequently and make reasonable offers. Unless you are planning to play a lot of outdoor gigs without a pa.....downsize the dream.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

You might want to practice on a simpler amp build to see what you think about the process. Allen Amps has kits for most of his line and very good documentation according to most people who have built them.

Paul

Like Stratdancer I would counsel patience, easier said than done I realize.

It seems like the stumbling point in regard to difficulty and simplicity of construction is a lack of documentation on the steps, i.e. "instructions", yes?

As far as cost goes, I realize the parts list isn't cheap but I think the reason amp building of this sort isn't always economically viable is that the labor involved is more difficult to pass on as a cost than the parts themselves. But as a personal hobby build, the labor isn't a factor.

I guess part of the motivation for my query is that the high and climbing prices for this old gear is just distasteful. For such a specific and quantifiable pile of electronic components, it just seems silly. I'm not after "mojo" or vintage scratches (although I do appreciate vintage things in general)--I just want the sound.

And actually, it would be nice to be able to add some features, such as a switchable transformer for lower output. Anyway, thanks all for the input. This isn't a burning project--just something I wanted to field for future consideration.

Great idea. I've built a tweed Deluxe once from salvaged parts. Very satisfying result and fun to do. I'm still looking for parts to build a blonde bassman, Not because it's cheap nor easy, just to see if it can be done. Go for it!

Just checked the going price for brown faced amps, $3,000 and up is what I found. As noted they are a collection of electrical components, if I was motivated I'd give it a shot. But before that I would seek out somebody with more knowledge and skills building clones, any ideas on that one?

Just before I found my 63 BM head and cab on Reverb I was eyeballing this. I think it's not a bad price but maybe a reasonable offer would close the deal.

https://reverb.com/item/10665917-fender-bandmaster-1963-blonde-brown-face

The Kahuna Kings

In my one and only surf band the leader played thru that same amp, it had been recapped. Incredible headroom and a sweet tone that you just had to hear. I'm 62 and remember when Black Face and Tweed fenders were not hard to find at all, but this his was the only Brown Face I've ever seen.

I paid 450.00 for my BF Bandmaster that had been re-capped. I asked my amp tech to make it as blonde as possible and he did a bunch of mods to it including a bassman transformer, blonde tone stack in the normal channel, presence control in the negative feedback loop and other things so now it runs 5881's. It's a very sweet ride that retains some BF scoop yet some blonde warmth. I've got about 650.00 into it now. Cheap and it's a beast!

The Kahuna Kings

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:53:42

bamboozer wrote:

Just checked the going price for brown faced amps, $3,000 and up is what I found. As noted they are a collection of electrical components, if I was motivated I'd give it a shot. But before that I would seek out somebody with more knowledge and skills building clones, any ideas on that one?

You will find one within a month for under $2000.

I've often thought the same thing. It's just a bunch of components. Schematics and even layout drawings exist, how hard can it be?

I've built a couple of reverb units and a small tube amplifier and here's what I learned:
1) It's always more expensive than you think. The passive components are mostly cheap, but suddenly you probably need the same components as the vintage amps, and these start getting very expensive. I found postage costs often exceeded the purchase cost of the components.
2) Building a reverb was quite a learning curve for me with a few decades experience of building electronic circuits. If you have no experience, your learning curve will be very steep. Start with something small and get your experience that way. (further expense, of course)
3) Building an amp is a challenge, but it's nothing compared to troubleshooting the thing when it either doesn't work, doesn't work properly, or hums like an angry bee. (My first build had three sources of hum, which was a real test of endurance. I eventually became attuned to the difference between mains hum, hum loops and induced hum). You'll need troubleshooting skills, and equipment. You can ask in forums, but believe me, trying to troubleshoot a home built amp is a very lonely and dark place.
4) Building an amp and getting it working properly is a buzz (as opposed to a hum), then you have to build a cabinet for the thing. This takes ages, and unless your woodworking and cabinet making skills are above average, then it will look like crap. Factor in the tolex and tools you may need, then you really need to enjoy woodworking to like this part.
5) Eventually, with careful methodical work and a bit of luck, you'll end up with an amp that will, at most, be worth the sum of the parts, just. Your time, cost of tools, and parts postage will not be included. A vintage amp is an appreciating asset, that you will always be able to sell and will effectively cost you nothing. And will your home made amp sound like a vintage amp? Sadly, no it won't. (Something to do with the insulation material used in the transformers, apparently. Or cloth covered wire. Or the circuit board material pffft)

If you have the enthusiasm and motivation to build a big vintage amp, then make sure you're doing it because you want to learn how to make big vintage amps, then the cost and time investment doesn't seem so high. If you're doing it because you think you'll save a bit of cash, then have another think. Save some cash, keep a watch out and, as Jake says, sooner or later one will come your way. If you haven't got the patience to wait for one, it's unlikely you have the patience to build one. Better off spending the time learning your guitar.

Hope this doesn't sound too negative, but you asked for advice, and there's my advice.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I think everything da-ron said should be heeded. Jake is also correct that you can find one for less than $2000 pretty easily.

I started to source the components to build a Blonde Bandmaster. I got a chassis (I got a small fabricator to make a run of them), faceplate, power transformer, and a few other odds and ends and I was already a few hundred bucks into it. I had not sourced the rest of the iron, the board, or other components but I think I estimated about $700 more if I purchased it all from the same place. That's only my guess; I really don't know what I missed. That also did not include a cab with tolex, grill cloth and hardware. With that, I'm WAY over what I paid for my Blonde Bandmaster. Right now the parts are sitting, but if I ever have money setting fire to the inside of my pockets I'll probably reach out to one of the builders out there that does Brown/Blonde stuff. They are out there.

I got a blonde Showman down the road from me that was functional but needed some care. I further abused my friendship with Eddie Katcher to have him look over my shoulder/solder while I watched to replace some major components, and it's still got a little noise gremlin that he's chasing in his spare time. I couldn't imagine building one without idiot-proof instructions, and I'm not sure how idiot-proof it can really be. It can be done, of course. If you just flat want to, knock yourself out. But I know I wouldn't have made a fraction of the progress I did without expert help.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I see that there are a lot of arguments to keep you from building your own amp. Still, I think that it could be a lot of fun, and common sense is great, but progress is made by those who have an interessting idea. You have nothing to lose but some money, and if you get hopelessly stuck you can take it to a friend or a tech to sort it out while you tend to the stuff you can do. Sure, it's not cheap, it's not going to have a decent resale value but if it works it will be worth it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018 10:37:50

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:12:12

It's daunting to build from scratch. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm with da-ron on this, there's a lot of troubleshooting and tweaking which comes with the turf. There's a learning curve involved and a steep one at that. If I were retired and had no time pressure, then maybe, but as things are, no way.

I've never built a guitar amp, but I have built a number of tube devices, back in the day. Electronics is both a science and an art. You can wire everything correctly and have a device that is useless, if you don't pay attention to lead dressing, etc. You can build something that looks like a showpiece, but one miswired lead or the wrong component can turn it into scrap. It's not for the faint-hearted.

If you truly want to build, start small and learn as you go. A Tweed Champ kit cane had without tubes, cabinet or speaker for about $250. That'll keep you busy for a while. See if you can find a volunteer mentor, a retired tech or a ham radio operator that knows their way around a tube device. Even if you have completed something like a Tweed Champ, you might want to get one more under your belt before tackling the Showman circuit. I'd probably go for the Mojotone Brownface kit next and when that was purring like a happy kitten, then I'd start gathering parts for the Showman.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next