Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Hotone Nano Legacy Amps

Page 1 of 1

Just took the bait and picked up one of these little Hotone Nano Legacy amps. I have the Purple Wind model but I seriously doubt that any of the models offered are different save for the monikers, case colors and knob colors.(no matter what their videos say) I'm glad I have it because it is a handy little thing to have around and it actually does what it says. It will work on any of my guitars including the bass. It replaces my other practice amps and even my "Pocket Rockit." I have it plugged into my dead Crate G-120CXL amp speakers and while not really loud, it has more than enough punch for the room. It took a fair amount of niggling with the controls to get decent clean sound but I did succeed. For the money, I think it is worth getting.

Interesting but so far I've resisted as I'm in downsizing mode. Suspect you right about the various amp models, at best they probably juggle a few component values.

I prefer the vintage folding rule myself Big Grin

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I got this one:

Very cute, sounds better than a computer.

oldjohn1951, I bet they're tuned differently, why wouldn't they be. A small component or value change will totally transform the sound of a SS amp.
The British Invasion for example, is very trebly - Vox like, and starts to overdrive only at 7.5 or so on the gain.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018 04:15:49

DannySnyder wrote:

I prefer the vintage folding rule myself Big Grin

From her perch in Paradise, bubbe smiles at you.

Ariel wrote:

I got this one:

Very cute, sounds better than a computer.

oldjohn1951, I bet they're tuned differently, why wouldn't they be. A small component or value change will totally transform the sound of a SS amp.
The British Invasion for example, is very trebly - Vox like, and starts to overdrive only at 7.5 or so on the gain.

You could be correct. However, I just can't see anyone really doing a lot of tweaking to anything that costs around $85 new. Still, I am glad to have it especially now that my Teisco Checkmate 17 amp is in the repair shop for the first time--ever. Not bad for something I bought at EJ Korvettes more than 50 years ago.

oldjohn1951 wrote:

However, I just can't see anyone really doing a lot of tweaking to anything that costs around $85 new.

I meant the different models from Joyo, they got 10 now. I think what you'll find if you opened one up will consist mostly of an incomprehensible SMD board. Ah nevermind, enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018 10:54:14

I have the "tweed" version. It's a really fun little gadget.
I primarily use it with headphones and my entire pedal board.
I would buy it again, for sure.

Update: I stand corrected! These mini-amps are different. Just picked up one of the last "low-priced" Hotone Thunder Bass mini-amp (low-priced meaning under $105 delivered). Damn! While this isn't uber-loud it really has a decent bass tone and a gain level that doesn't go into distortion mode at the 10 o'clock position. The tone is warm and deep and this is coming through twin 12-inch speakers from a dead combo amp. I am using the wall wart from the earlier Hotone mini-amp purchase so I'll always have a good spare. Glad I took the chance and picked it up.

Page 1 of 1