Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
147 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Ventris Dual Reverb/True Spring Reverb pedal

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Or, you could also take your $400 and spend it one something like this.

https://www.surfyindustries.com/surfybear

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

The surfy bear is a well established great option, but can you fit it on a pedalboard?

skeeter wrote:

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

Big_Ryan wrote:

The surfy bear is a well established great option, but can you fit it on a pedalboard?

skeeter wrote:

Exactly. If I wanted to lug one of those around, I'd just bring my tank. I love the tank, but I want to get in and out of a gig with as few trips as possible and the tank is going to increase the trip count.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Better yet, you can put your pedals on top of it and use it AS a pedalboard! Big Grin

Big_Ryan wrote:

skeeter wrote:

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

skeeter wrote:

Better yet, you can put your pedals on top of it and use it AS a pedalboard! Big Grin

Big_Ryan wrote:

skeeter wrote:

It does sort of look like one.

If you want cheap emulated reverb, go ahead and spend your money on a not so cheap gimmick pedal. It’s your money. It’s your tone.

If you want real spring reverb, there is no substitute for real springs. If you want a surf sound for a reasonable price, go buy a second hand tank or buy/build a Surfy Bear. That is all! Anything else IS NOT A SURF SOUND. Period.

And this whole “I don’t want to carry necessary gear to a gig” attitude is a joke. If you aren’t handicapped, carry what is required to make your tone sound the best! If you are handicapped, get a roadie!! You kill your tone with the convenience of a pedal. Terrible trade off!

Pedal as an emergency backup? Sure. Ok. I get that. But for anything else, it just isn’t surf.

josheboy wrote:

If you want cheap emulated reverb, go ahead and spend your money on a not so cheap gimmick pedal. It’s your money. It’s your tone.

If you want real spring reverb, there is no substitute for real springs. If you want a surf sound for a reasonable price, go buy a second hand tank or buy/build a Surfy Bear. That is all! Anything else IS NOT A SURF SOUND. Period.

And this whole “I don’t want to carry necessary gear to a gig” attitude is a joke. If you aren’t handicapped, carry what is required to make your tone sound the best! If you are handicapped, get a roadie!! You kill your tone with the convenience of a pedal. Terrible trade off!

Pedal as an emergency backup? Sure. Ok. I get that. But for anything else, it just isn’t surf.

Well you’ve certainly straightened me out and it’s my lucky day, because now I know who to ask what is and is not Surf. BTW, I do havd some physical infirmities as a result of working like a mule in my youth, you willing to pay for that roadie?

+1 on the carry attitude. Please stop complaining about it. This is like a professional soccer player showing up in crocs and bringing a tennis ball because...you know...it's easier to carry. I might add: if you are a touring musician without roadies, the surfy bear is an excellent option. Lightweight, small and no bs digital substitute.
No algorithm is capable of replacing the random sounds of real springs. You can clearly hear the anemic digital sound in the demos of the Ventris. Over-emphasizing the drip effect won't cover-up the digital sound. It just sounds wrong.
You might say you need the versatility, as you don't only play surf music. But for me - I play surf music and don't need a plate/gate/reverse reverb.
So for the price of the Ventris you can build several surf bears, or buy one ready made. Plus, you directly support people that contribute a lot to our small community. So for me it's pretty clear which way to go.

The Hicadoolas

The Ventris doesn't sound great. The trails are just wrong. Software/digital reverb is beyond that pedal. So, it isn't even the best digital reverb. It is close to get the drip right but what happens after that isn't.

To whoever said it above, the Surfy Bear pedal does fit on a pedal board. Or use it as the pedal board...

synchro wrote:

josheboy wrote:

Well you’ve certainly straightened me out and it’s my lucky day, because now I know who to ask what is and is not Surf. BTW, I do havd some physical infirmities as a result of working like a mule in my youth, you willing to pay for that roadie?

Friends/fans/bandmates/girlfriends make good roadies in a pinch. And they’re usually free, or cheap (buy ‘em a beer!).

Your amp is way heavier than a tank. Your guitar is nearly as heavy as a tank. You still have to bring those, right? Heck most pedal boards are way heavier than a tank. So the “it’s too heavy” excuse is bunk.

Surfy Bear solves all of the size/weight/cost “problems” that so many people have used for excuses to not buy a tank. Now the lame excuse is “it doesn’t fit on my pedal board”??? Give me a break!

If you’re a musician who loves that surf sound and wants to re-create it with any authenticity, then you need real analog reverb springs. That’s all.

josheboy wrote:

synchro wrote:

josheboy wrote:

Friends/fans/bandmates/girlfriends make good roadies in a pinch. And they’re usually free, or cheap (buy ‘em a beer!).

Your amp is way heavier than a tank. Your guitar is nearly as heavy as a tank. You still have to bring those, right? Heck most pedal boards are way heavier than a tank. So the “it’s too heavy” excuse is bunk.

Surfy Bear solves all of the size/weight/cost “problems” that so many people have used for excuses to not buy a tank. Now the lame excuse is “it doesn’t fit on my pedal board”??? Give me a break!

If you’re a musician who loves that surf sound and wants to re-create it with any authenticity, then you need real analog reverb springs. That’s all.

Having reroofed my house a few months ago and carrying the shingles up the ladder on my shoulder, I can assure you that the weight of my tank is not the issue. I’ve gone to gigs with enough amps, guitars, etc. to fill the back of my pickup and gotten some great sounds for my bother, but I’ve also placed a 5 watt tube amp in front of a mic’ at a large venue and it sounded massive from out front.

For me, it’s about the bother and trouble. There was a time when playing music was my job, my source of income, but I left that business behind with no regrets. When I play these days, it’s becsuse I enjoy playing for an audience and it’s a counter-stress to my job. I want to maximum enjoyment to labor ratio when I play. Most of the time it’s a small amp, a simple pedalboard and one guitar. No one in the audience has complained.

I will agree that only a tank sounds exactly like a tank, but I’ve heard some very good sounds without a tank. Los Straitjackets use DRRIs and the onboard reverb with or without trem, that’s it. Their sound is great.

In the first wave of Surf, there were some songs with lots of reverb and drip, but that wasn’t the only sound out there. Listen to Dick Dale’s Summer Surf; that sound was very popular back in the day. Jim Messina’s album is a great example, there’s some wonderful examples of drip, but there are plenty of tunes where drip is not employed.

I certainly don’t criticize good drip when I hear it, but a lot of modern Surf bands don’t seem to have much variety in their sound. If Dick Dale could use sounds as mellow as Summer Surf, so can I. Another great track by Dick Dale is The Star, which uses reverb quite effectively, but it’s not the classic drip sound.

I recently bought a Stanley FX Blue Nebula, which is geared towards the Hank Marvin sound, but has great tremolo, which makes for some excellent sounds. The reverbs contained are pretty decent and, while they don’t offer the levels of drip an external tank offers, rhere are some very decent sounds to be had. Then I can flip a switch and have my Chet Atkins slapback, which is an important sound for my needs.

Ah, the age old debate, once again. Same horse, different rider. Here's the bottom line; do you think the audience cares or even notices? I don't. Buy what you like, it's your money. Cool

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

Bob_Kennedy wrote:

Ah, the age old debate, once again. Same horse, different rider. Here's the bottom line; do you think the audience cares or even notices? I don't. Buy what you like, it's your money. Cool

Good point!

In forty years of playing gigs, I’ve had precisely one complaint about my sound, and that was playing a Bass VI through a 300 watt amp (dimed) and it wasn’t loud enough to overcome the ambient noise of a car show.

It doesn't matter if the audience won't notice any difference. It is about us surf guitar enthusiasts trying to get 'that sound' and feeling while playing.

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018 11:59:30

SanchoPansen wrote:

It doesn't matter if the audience won't notice any difference.

Correct.

Quality is its own reward.

SanchoPansen wrote:

It doesn't matter if the audience won't notice any difference. It is about us surf guitar enthusiasts trying to get 'that sound' and feeling while playing.

Agreed. If a musician is happy with their instrument and gear (good, bad, or indifferent), then that will be conveyed in their performance. If something is falling short (hey, it doesn't sound right...hmmmm....) then this becomes a distraction. I recently went through this for an effects pedal on my cover band pedalboard. It is a big box Deluxe Electric Mistress Flanger and I also use another pedal as a blend/mix loop with it. With all that real estate, I could probably fit 15 TC Electronic Vortex Mini flanger pedals. I agonized over trying to find the perfect replacement. It just does not exist. That old skool flanger is exactly what my ear needs to hear and nothing else - not even a newer version of that same effect - matches it. Use what makes you happy with no excuses. If that is a digital effect that gets 94% there and you are great with that, ROCK ON!

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Which Drip is which?

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

Good job Ryan! Is clip 1 the Fender?

Number one is the tank.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018 18:29:17

I believe #1 is the real thing but this video does demonstrate that the pedal is damned authentic sounding. When it's this hard to tell them apart with just the guitar going, I have to think it would be impossible in a live music setting.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next