Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jay Turser SSS

Page 1 of 1

Anybody ever seen a Jay Turser Surfmaster like this? I got it cheap.

I've played a Jay Turser mustang and jazzmaster before and they were pretty good for the money. how much did you pay?

I'm Jake G and I approve this message

I made some trades worth maybe $100.

That is one cool looking variation in the strat. I like it.

I've seen a few Surfmasters that look like this, but I have never seen one like the one I picked up, I think it is a cheaper model.

The similar Turser JG model is all over Ebay for as little as $170 new. The major difference from the model above seems like a strat-type vibrato rather than a jaguar type.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jay-Turser-JG-Candy-Apple-Red-Jaguar-Style-Electric-Guitar-Free-Fender-Tuner/222818856987?epid=1037689559&hash=item33e109f01b:g:voIAAOSwa3BZ~60w

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Nice score plus you got it cheap which makes it all the better.

Does it have "roller bridge saddles" or the kind with the "V" slots? If it's a roller-type be aware that the "roller barrel" slides over an "axle" and it may just "lay" atop the bridge held in the slots for the axles only by string tension. If that's what you have always lay the guitar "flat" on a table/countertop/workbench when changing strings and keep track of both the roller barrels and axles as they can easily pop out, roll away, and get lost in a carpet. Some "roller" bridges have the axles "pinned/crimped" so they don't fall out but most I've seen are as described above.

If you have the "non-roller" bridge with the "V" slots for strings in the saddles I've found the string sometimes "hangs up" with tremolo use or when tuning/setting intonation. If you choose to you can "upgrade" and replace the "V"-type saddles with "roller-types", check Ebay and other websites/retailers but be sure to measure between the posts in millimeters, "center-to-center" and measure the post diameter to get the correct replacement (some are as cheap as $15.00 USD). SX/Rondo has some roller bridges and it just slips over the existing "V" saddle bridge posts. The replacement roller-type bridges can come with or without the posts, the posts can be either smaller in diameter or larger, and the distance between posts can vary so just measure carefully. Most sellers post a detailed diagram that features accurate measurements so buyers can order the correct item.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018 01:10:09

Cheap tune o matic, I've upgraded to a Wilkinson, tuners are cheap crap I ordered a set of klusons that I'm waiting for. I think this model was put out to use up parts, it's routed for p90's and the switches. I'm trying to decide if I should try to go to p90's. After its put together I'll see how it sounds and decide.

surfgtrnut wrote:

Cheap tune o matic, I've upgraded to a Wilkinson, tuners are cheap crap I ordered a set of klusons that I'm waiting for. I think this model was put out to use up parts, it's routed for p90's and the switches. I'm trying to decide if I should try to go to p90's. After its put together I'll see how it sounds and decide.

The Wilkinson should suffice but cheap Tune-O-Matics and the issues that come with them can be remedied at low cost with a roller bridge "top" which includes saddles (as I suggested above).

When searching for a "budget" offset I had looked at the Jay Turser Mustang copy, then the offset SSS like yours, and finally the P-90 version but went with an SX Liquid (2-P90s) instead. One would think the factory SX P90 pickups would be lacking but I've been pleasantly surprised with their tone and have no intentions of changing them, you may find the same with your single coils. One reason I went with the Liquid was it's 22 fret neck.

All-in-all you got a good guitar at a bargain price that with a minimum of effort and expense can be transformed into a great guitar.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 01:26:30

I love my SX, It's a short scale, most likely the Surfmaster will never be my main guitar because it's a 25.5 scale. I play short scales most of the time because my left pinky was cut off and reattached.

I posted my 'mod-ed up' cheapo guitar on the forum a while back. One of the other regulars remarked that it looked very like a Jay Turser.

It's still a cheap guitar, which I bought mainly on the strength of the colour scheme but I love the look of it with the lipstick pickups. It sounds good, plays okay, will never be anything other than a dressed up cheapo, but it has a charm all of its own.

Original post here

Nice guitar!! I actually got a Jay Turser Mosman last year. I can't say enough about them, the only thing I did though was replace my bridge pickup with a Hallmark C60 pickup. I might end up replacing my tuners on mine soon though.

Page 1 of 1