Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink What did you think of The Surf Coasters Outside Break?

Page 1 of 1

This isn't a review per-se. I've listened to it only one or two times. I knew from the comments of others it wasn't a "surfy" Surf Coasters album, so I was bracing myself.

The first song really was not my thing at all. Yeesh. I was ready to put it away after that, but I'm glad I continued. After that first song, I did enjoy some of it. The second song in particular was pretty good I thought.

I'll post more thoughts later as I listen to it some more, but I was eager to hear what everyone else thought. Don't let what I wrote influence your opinion. Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
The second song in particular was pretty good I thought.

I love this song!

Science friction burns my fingers.

i posted this elsewhere.........

i'm listening to the surf coasters for the second time right now. definitely not the same sound as 'samari struck', the only other cd of theirs i have. i'd say more of a rock instrumental cd than surf. the first tune not my favorite, but the next two i like. tune 4, playing now, slows things down quite a bit and then picks up the pace. the closing tune 'yume no ato' is a nice surfy closing number........ sad to have missed seeing them.

www.surfintheeye.com

Listened to this disc on the way home last Saturday night (12:30am) after the Purple Orchid show and...was way too tired to appreciate it then.

Now that I have the chance to really listen to it, while uploading it to my iTunes...I am digging it. I don't have any other Surf Coasters CD's so, it is hard for me to have an opinion as to where they are from where they were but, I have to say that I do like this band and these new recordings! Good rockin', drivin', surfin', snowboardin', skiing music!

I am going shopping for their older CD's......

From some of the postings here on SG101, I have learned that Shigeo also plays for one of my daughters favorite groups...Puffy Ami Yumi....it is indeed a a small world (but, I wouldn't want to paint it!).

• Surfbeatnik

very rock,
definitely some different styles in there.

1st song, Joe Satriani ish
2nd song, kinda Mermen ish
3rd song, surfy in a modern rocky kinda way.
4th song, surfy and prodding, like a modern euro song.
5th song, very rock, and with a cowbell, ugh. Shocked
6th song, Satriani ish again,
7th song, Mermen / Insect Surfers-ish ala Polaris.
8th song, Very Laika ish, (I like this one a lot)
9th song, Acoustic but sounds like digital processing on it,
new age surf???

Over all the cd is growing on me, I like somg songs alot, some songs a bit,
and some songs not so much, glad I got it to keep my collection of them
almost full, but not going to put it in the top 5 of the 25 or so they have done.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
very rock,
definitely some different styles in there.

1st song, Joe Satriani ish
2nd song, kinda Mermen ish
3rd song, surfy in a modern rocky kinda way.
4th song, surfy and prodding, like a modern euro song.
5th song, very rock, and with a cowbell, ugh. Shocked
6th song, Satriani ish again,
7th song, Mermen / Insect Surfers-ish ala Polaris.
8th song, Very Laika ish, (I like this one a lot)
9th song, Acoustic but sounds like digital processing on it,
new age surf???

Very accurate Jeff,
I am looking for the Mermen song.. I swear it even includes some of the same changes, I think the tempo is different. The tones are unmistakably Jim Thomas. I also hear a bit of Jeff Beck influence on the first track and others. It sounds like a band trying to find it's sound, while I enjoy it very much, I hope they really find their own voice if they stay together as a band.

THe NEpTuNeS

Tom,
I think they had their sound, most of the cds they did between the 1st to the 20th were pretty consistent,
though there was the techno remix cd, the ep of French songwriter Paul Marriott (sp?) and slight forays into 60's psyche pop and a bit of Light Garage. for the most part he had a modern heavy DD sound.
except for of course the Roundabout video game soundtracks, that Warren
mentioned, are kinda hard rock, metal sounding.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
Tom,
I think they had their sound, most of the cds they did between the 1st to the 20th were pretty consistent,
though there was the techno remix cd, the ep of French songwriter Paul Marriott (sp?) and slight forays into 60's psyche pop and a bit of Light Garage. for the most part he had a modern heavy DD sound.
except for of course the Roundabout video game soundtracks, that Warren
mentioned, are kinda hard rock, metal sounding.

Wait, Jeff, do they have a consistent sound or techno, garage, psyche pop, metal and heavy DD? That's a lot of different sounds and styles. I really don't think their new album is that far outside of SCs scope. Really, it's Shigeo playing guitar, which has been the one constant through all the CDs.

And just to bring up something Ivan said-- Slacktone started around the same time as the SCs, imagine if they had put out nearly 20 albums instead of just 2. Don't you think they would have varied their sound from album to album?

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Most of the stuff they have done is surf.

then there is little forays into the other styles mentioned.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude

Hmmm ... I gotta disagree with that. I'd say there's four albums where they largely stick to one style: Surfdelic, Surf Attack, Surf is Dead and Surfside Village. And each of those has at least one WTF moment (like that $%&$ing Kraftwerk cover). So I guess the acoustic EP is the most consistent in terms of sound and style. Shocked

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I like this album quite a bit, actually, which surprised me. My first introduction to a few of the songs was when I saw the guys live in San Jose, and I thought they were acceptable, but perhaps mostly for the lively performance the guys gave. My first listen through the album itself actually made me cringe through most of it, but no sooner than the second listen most of the songs started growing on me, and by the third time around I was nodding my head and tapping my foot along with. I think it helps to not approach "Outside Break" as a surf album, rather as one of the Surf Coasters's "other" albums (there are no telltale waves segueing into reverb crashes and screaming girls here). I like their surfier material so much (and there's so much of it) that I'm usually willing to forgive them the weirder stuff, and this album pretty much falls into that category.

The first song sounds like it's been having trouble grabbing people, but I actually like it. No not surfy at all, but it's really upbeat, which I guess is enough to win me over in this case. Maybe I'm swayed for having heard it live (I'd just like to rub that in one more time Razz ).

What people have said about the second song "Breakout" sounding like the Mermen is very true. That's the first thing that hit me about this song. At times it sounds straight out of "A Glorious Lethal Euphoria" which, as it just so turns out, is my least favorite Mermen album, but I still do like it, quite a bit actually. In fact, at 3:24 in the song, there are two measures that are the same as one little bit in the bridge on the Mermen's "Scalp Salad." I'm not crying plagiarism here, but there is some pretty interesting overlap in the two bands' sounds on this track.

The third song is good but not great. Doesn't jump at me in any special way, but I can listen to it all the way through without getting bored or angry or anything.
Laughing

The next song, "Refraction," starts off pretty soft and kinda delicate. It's pretty, but I think things get more interesting after roughly 1:30, with a lightly vibrato-laden melody followed by extra umph and grit and a solo. Cool drum break too. I'm just realizing as I write this that if it weren't for the repetition of the first (prettier) part, this song would be entirely through-composed. I don't know if any of the other songs on the album are, and I don't feel like investigating through the entirety of the album, but I just thought that was kinda interesting. Anybody know of any other through-composed songs in surf?

The cowbell song is the biggest "meh..." moment for me. It's crunchy and unmelodic. Not straight up bad, but not overwhelmingly interesting either.

I actually like the sixth track a lot. I don't have a good reason why, but I do... so there. Rolling Eyes Laughing

"Gloom" marks the Surf Coasters's last foray into soundscaping. It's not really a song at all. I guess it's kinda like the Mermen's "The Whales," but less melodic. They've done this kind of stuff before, but usually just as an intro to another song. It_ is_ pretty gloomy sounding, I'll give them that. Smile

"Drifter" might be my favorite song of the album. It starts off with a very vaguely spy-like melody, broken up by crunchy chord breaks. I like the false stops and I loove the runaway ghost train bit. Dark and driving and atmospheric and pretty damn cool, definitely my favorite minute-or-so of the album. Then a whole slew of rhythm changes closes the song out, which I came to like after knowing what to expect next.

I guess "Yume No Ato" is the world's final farewell to the Surf Coasters, which may well be why it's on the melancholy side. I just found it a bit sappy though Confused , maybe because it's acoustic.

Reviving a long dead thread here to spare someone from having to tell me to use the search feature haha!
Anyways my question pertains to the song "Gloom" on this album....I love it! Iv always had a thing for slow atmospheric surf. How would one recreate (or attempt to) that reverb effect. Is that a legit spring reverb with the dwell maxed out mixed with a bit of echo or delay?

Iv heard similar sounds before,but it was on a demo of the Solid Gold FX Surf Rider III pedal (which made me wonder if they used a reverb pedal on this track) ,which i watched yesterday and after many failed attempts to recreate said sounds with my Surfy Bear and Time Space delay pedal, I decided to see if anyone here is familiar with that specific effect.

If you want the ultimate,you gotta be willing to pay the ultimate price.

Brett

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 13:24:45

Latherman87 wrote:

I decided to see if anyone here is familiar with that specific effect.

Multiple guitars with various delay settings and either volume pedal or he's soothing the volume in/out on his guitar I would guess.

If I recall correctly, Shigeo didn't use any amps on the record, just plugins! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

crumble wrote:

Latherman87 wrote:

I decided to see if anyone here is familiar with that specific effect.

Multiple guitars with various delay settings and either volume pedal or he's soothing the volume in/out on his guitar I would guess.

The thought of a volume pedal never crossed my mind! I'm gonna have to research that,thanks!

Brett

PolloGuitar wrote:

If I recall correctly, Shigeo didn't use any amps on the record, just plugins! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well I guess that is a good thing for me,may be a sound that's more attainable for me then at a cheaper price! Thanks!!

Brett

Page 1 of 1