Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Fire in Ventura

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Reverbenator wrote:

Down here in San Diego, we're just holding our breath right now. (Technically I live about 20 minutes NE of downtown San Diego.)

With all of the vegetation that grew in abundance as a result of the El Niño Winter, the rural areas are a virtual powder keg, waiting to catch fire. To make matters worse, we're expecting a dry winter. Not good. We have had a couple small fires down here, thankfully they were put out quickly. Sooner or later, we won't be so lucky.

I've lived in North Carolina (hurricanes) and Michigan (tornadoes). No matter where you go, there's always something to contend with.

That’s it, there’s some problem everywhere. Nature has some frightening forces. Best wishes to all our Surf101 members in CA.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

GatoStrato,
Pointing out hard facts and my opinion derived from those facts is just that - MY OPINION.
I feel for anyone going through this. I'm also thankful my judgement not to move to CA -three times if you are reading all of this thread - has kept me out of this hell hole and it's possible aftermath.
"Empathy" or lack thereof by your fallacious judgment such as it is doesn't change a damn thing with the circumstances or results, does it? (Another hint: The answer is "No") But it is nice to say. Golly Gee.

BTW.. I don't see any of your empathy in this thread, either.
J Mo'

BTW.Opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one.
I've had to evacuate from wildfires on more than one occasion,
I'm from So Cal., lived on Long Island, been there - done that.
People are hurting, are you really that callous?
Hint: the answer is YES!

Salud!

Mark

Strat-cat Gato,
Well.. I agree with your first sentence since it also includes you - unless your not part of "everybody" and, therefore logically, Hmmmm... a nobody.
Nice of you to use my "Hint" statement. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - even if obviously derivative.
Hugs and kisses
J Mo'

Gee JM it sounds like you might want to seek professional help..
I have no more time to feed this noise...
StormTiger,I wish you and all affected by this tragedy my best!

Salud!

Mark

Gato,
Knew you would see the logic in it all. So what compelled you to "feed" it in the first place?
BTW - concerning your prognosis on someone you never met. Are you an amateur shrink?

Other thoughts for all others -
Some connect the dots analysis:
There really is NO GOOD REASON for CA to be parched with drought which exasperates the Santa Anna fires. I understand its lovely citizens were forbidden to water their lawns which makes for great fire fuel over a few years. Folks, there's gallons of water accessible to CA (it's called the Pacific Ocean)- you just have to take the damn sea salt out (good for potato chips and pretzels for the re-purpose crowd) and feed the reservoir system - for starters.

They don't have a drought problem in the Arab countries. They desalinate the neighboring seas. Aruba, which gets little to no rainfall - does the same. If we can pipe oil and natural gas, water transmission should be a cinch.
But that hasn't happened in CA with an increasing population. Conservation - a stupid sick joke to begin with - only goes so far mathematically and as mentioned above probably contributed to the fire fuel..
An increasing population needs increasing supplies of fresh water.
But that's why SoCal is universally known as LA LA land.

J Mo'

Johnny , please . Knock it off . Trolling Californians because we have fires is silly . Blaming water conservation is absurd , you dont know what you are talking about and come off poorly for it . These fires arent started and carried on peoples front lawns .
You could have moved to Cali 3 times and didnt . Wow , you so smart . Its a win/win for all of us . PS I am a Queens native , lived in the area for 26 winters and I'll never move back ,the weather here is too nice and so are the people generally.
http://www.carlsbaddesal.com/ unfortunately desal is a costly way to provide drinking water ( those Arab countries you mention dont worry about cost because they have zero alternatives) but its another direction we are going...getting it from all sides literally ; groundwater , rainfall runoff , Colorado river and Pacific Ocean and Sierra snowmelt .

This happens whenever it floods in the South too. Rather than feel bad for people that have lost everything, they feel the need to point out how wrong they were for living there in the first place.

I don't know what your endgame is here, Johnny, but I hope it ends.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

WTF is going on here... Johnny, please stop.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

oh well..
JM

Johnstown, PA is a permanently recurring disaster as is Ventura, CA because insurance just pays to rebuild and not to relocate to a safer area, or to fix infrastructure that could mitigate the permanent hazard of environmental catastrophe.
Ever since I can remember, there have been periodic wildfires in Ventura where brush in the hills grows over many years and then goes up in an conflagration blown into an inferno by the Santa Ana winds. It’s always a disaster when it happens. Now it’s happeing again.
There is a large library of apocalyptic literature about Los Angeles. Nathanael West wrote Day of the Locust nearly 100 years ago. It’s either no one’s fault or all of our fault for building America’s second largest city here on an arid plane between the mountains and the ocean, subject to earthquake, fire and flashflood. The first Spanish colony here in the XVIII c. by the LA River washed away shortly after it was set up.

Having lived here seven years I take the good with the bad and have to say I wish it weren’t so damn hot here all the time! I dread seeing the scorched black hills surrounding all the built up areas, and wish the cold wet climate of the 70s was coming back. Not in my lifetime or another hundred lifetimes. By the time my daughter has grandkids, Venice, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey will be under water and the cliffs will be the ‘beach’. All the same will be under leagues of ocean water.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 17:42:16

I was kind of hoping we'd get back to using this thread to keep tabs on our friends in harm's way...

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Agree And on that note, I hope everyone is and stays safe and well.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

All is well in Southern OC.
Clear skies, no smokey air.
There was an amazing red sunset last night.

JoBeast,
For informative purposes only -
You (and possibly any curious others) might find this article informative. I did. It's by an LA local named Thomas Curwen of the Los Angeles Times (TNS) It seems jazz trumpeter Miles Davis even had his thoughts which don't seem at all empathetic.
“Disaster amnesia,” as Mike Davis called it in “Ecology of Fear.”

Hmm.. "Disaster amnesia" - another phrase for "normalcy bias"?
Here's the url -
http://www.readingeagle.com/ap/article/an-illusion-of-paradise-up-in-smoke
Last and out, perhaps, but what the hell
J Mo'

At least we haven't had any bombs in California. Johnny Mosrite can have New York, I hope he never leaves. I'll take California any day. It is not even a debate as far as I'm concerned. I know Johnny is a smart ass New Yorker and I like that. I expect that. His comments have zero effect on me. I didn't even read most of them, he likes to have the last word. I laugh at the comparison of New York to the stunning diversity and scale of California. I know it's very pretty there in the east but CA is on another level of natural beauty and I think most people know that. I don't need any agreement on that. I've been here over 60 years and this is the first time I've really been affected by a fire. Normally they just burn through unpopulated hillsides and it's smokey for a few days but this one burned places you never would have thought could burn. It was a freak. No one died from the fire though, there is time to get away. I don't own anything I can't easily replace, no rare guitars or amps, I try to live uncluttered. Meanwhile, for anyone interested or concerned, I am camping out in a cool mid century time capsule house with a wet bar and a pool, close to work and shopping. No one lives there. Could be worse.

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

JoBeast,
For informative purposes only -
You (and possibly any curious others) might find this article informative. I did. It's by an LA local named Thomas Curwen of the Los Angeles Times (TNS) It seems jazz trumpeter Miles Davis even had his thoughts which don't seem at all empathetic.
“Disaster amnesia,” as Mike Davis called it in “Ecology of Fear.”

Hmm.. "Disaster amnesia" - another phrase for "normalcy bias"?
Here's the url -
http://www.readingeagle.com/ap/article/an-illusion-of-paradise-up-in-smoke
Last and out, perhaps, but what the hell
J Mo'

Maybe add Emmanuel Velichkovskii to that reading list... but I totally concur. People should not build fancy-ass homes in forests and pretend they are communing with nature. People need to be around people to be healthy as individuals and society. SoCal has WAY too much stratification and it makes it sucky. All the beauty spots are privately owned by ‘Very Important Persons’ in the land of the velvet rope.
I agree with Picketty going back to Sartre on the issue of the ultimate outcome of massive social imbalance. LA rubs it in your face.

Squink Out!

Stormtiger wrote:

At least we haven't had any bombs in California. Johnny Mosrite can have New York, I hope he never leaves. I'll take California any day. It is not even a debate as far as I'm concerned. I know Johnny is a smart ass New Yorker and I like that. I expect that. His comments have zero effect on me. I didn't even read most of them, he likes to have the last word. I laugh at the comparison of New York to the stunning diversity and scale of California. I know it's very pretty there in the east but CA is on another level of natural beauty and I think most people know that. I don't need any agreement on that. I've been here over 60 years and this is the first time I've really been affected by a fire. Normally they just burn through unpopulated hillsides and it's smokey for a few days but this one burned places you never would have thought could burn. It was a freak. No one died from the fire though, there is time to get away. I don't own anything I can't easily replace, no rare guitars or amps, I try to live uncluttered. Meanwhile, for anyone interested or concerned, I am camping out in a cool mid century time capsule house with a wet bar and a pool, close to work and shopping. No one lives there. Could be worse.

Glad to hear you’re doing ok. Nice digs!

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2