Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink It was fifty years ago today - John Coltrane died 17 July 1967

Page 1 of 1

John Coltrane - opens the doors of perception for so many including surfers and surf musicians.
So much happened 50 years ago. I was 15-16 driving first time.
Many great albums. I got into Jazz in my early teens (13) and studied my guitar through LEARN TO PLAY the VENTURES LPs

A letter from my friend John Keene:
Sorry to bug you guys with this today, but I'm in a reflective mood.

50 years ago today, Coltrane died at age 40. And with all the reflection on the 50th anniversary of Sgt Pepper (and deservedly so) and the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love, this is one that will be overlooked for sure. But I think there's a connection worthy of pointing out.

When I look at the 50 year span since Pepper, I also have to look at the 50 years that preceded Pepper - from 1917 to 1967. And what an era as we went from Irving Berlin to Gershwin's use of jazz chords, and then to Cole Porter's variations of both form and harmony as well as lyric use, plus advancements in Broadway musicals and Elvis making the R&B to rock 'n' roll bridge that the Brits picked up on. After Pepper, we had a good ten years indicating a forward progression, then punk and disco and you have to be the judge of which is shit and which is shinola. Of course there are some pearls of shinola peering through the shit, but again - different strokes for different folks.

Trane died 50 years ago today on July 17, 1967, and that was preceded by the first jazz recording - the revolutionary "Darktown Strutters Ball" by the Original Dixieland Jass Band in 1917, followed by Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman and the big band swing era, then Charlie Parker, Miles, and other beboppers, hard bop/soul jazz, and finally Coltrane/Dolphy/etc. Then after Coltrane, we had a good ten years of Ornette, Mahavishnu, weather Report, ECM, and I'd include the Pat Metheny Group's first band album. In the next forty years, whether it's shit or shinola is up to the individual. Pieces of shinola would shine like Henry Threadgill, Bill Frisell, and others, and I suppose it's up to the individual to compare that to the feculance represented by smooth jazz people.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Coltrane is one of my favorite things. Hats off to him on this day.

Thanks for the head's up on this one. I put on a little Coltrane yesterday evening and was again drawn right into it. It's hard to put into words, but (at least for me) Coltrane has this strange powerful presence in his playing, not in the sense of force but more like a really strong sincerity or conviction concerning the playing of music: The notes and melodies are always discernible as statements (even though you can never be sure what they really mean). And yet Coltrane was always willing to risk a "perfect" sounding melodic line just to go "somewhere else". Listen to the studio version of "My Favorite Things": You hear those fast runs and in between them are some notes, where you can clearly hear that he is struggling to reach them. He could simply have left them out, and the recording would still have been one of the most important pieces of jazz. But to dare and to reach for "something else", that (and not just the virtuosity of the saxophone) is what still makes Coltrane's music so relevant for so many people IMHO.

For those of you, who don't know it yet, I strongly recommend Ashley Kahn's book on the recording of "A Love Supreme". I read my copy last year, while I was in Livorno (what a combination!), and it really heightened my appreciation of the album (not that it was necessary). And it also left me wondering for a short moment: Will surf music ever achieve that level of art? (Then I realized that sometimes it's also necessary for music just to be accessible and fun.)

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Aloha Simon:
Yes, I feel it too. I do have that book on my vast collection of music industry and bios though I think your memo has just inspired me to delve into it more seriously. I did pick up an Atlantic box (used but in excellent health) recently that had both th studio and live recordings in it. I've had the vinyl FAVORITE THINGS since my later teens. Humm ...surfing favorite things...could be done.

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Aha - just happened upon this thread. Glad to know I am not the only surf fan who loves Trane. My DJ name is based on his composition about his cousin Mary with whom he was very close. He said "She's a very earthy, folksy, swinging person".

Don,
I missed this post back in July as well but I'm glad Cousin Mary commented and brought it back.
Fall is a particularly Jazz inspired season for me, always has been since my late teens. At this point in my life I think it's because it re-connects me with my younger days on the West Side of Buffalo, walking leaf filled city sidewalks with my walkman on, listening to the likes of Coltrane, Duke, Clifford Brown..
I'm always touched by Coltrane's quest for beauty and divinity through his playing, leaving the ego behind and trying to let the music take the controls. He can still stop me dead in my tracks with his tone and phrasing, especially on ballads.
It's music of and for the soul and it will always move me.
Thanks for your eloquent post.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

"And yet Coltrane was always willing to risk a "perfect" sounding melodic line just to go "somewhere else"."
This is how I approach music, no strain , no gain. I'm trained in jazz piano but my head was exploded early on by "Giant Steps", really knocked me for a young players loop. Stopped studying classical and got into blues, jazz and avant garde electronic music. Coltrane remains one of those giants who the public is not aware of, but is a constant inspiration to musicians of al genres.

My background is in jazz. I studied with Dale Bruning in Denver, which was an amazing experience. BTW, Bill Frisell was the student he had before me on his schedule, so when I was 17 I got to hear a 19 year old Bill Frisell playing during his lesson.

I wanted like all hell to play jazz for a living, but one has a better chance of being struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket than making a living in jazz. Nonetheless, I studied Joe Pass, Jim Hall, Wes, Tal and a lot more. I probably spent 20 years playing Joe Pass style solo jazz guitar.

Eventually I decided to play something which might please an audience, so I endeavored to learn to play Rock and Country. I didn’t really pursue Rock until I was 45 years old. I love playing Surf because it demands precision and is a good way to utilize the techniques I learned for jazz. It’s very satisfying. I do a lot of Chet material as well, plus the run of the mill Country and Rock every band seems to end up with. But my jazz side still shows up, on occasion. It’s a wonderful skill to gain.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

This just released.
New Coltrane

METEOR IV on reverbnation

There’s even some Miles in there. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1