Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Basement Jamming Bass Amp Recommendation

Page 1 of 1

I was thinking of getting a new bass amp to jam some surf tunes with my 13-year old son. Previously all I had was an old 15w Crate amp, which sucks and won't do. What kind of wattage should I be aiming for if the only venue I will be using this amp in is the basement?

Sean

I can't recommend the Fender Rumble line highly enough. I have the Rumble 500, but the 200 would still be plenty for jamming and small gigs.

I have an Acoustic B20 that I really like. It's solid state so I don't have to feel sheepish about flicking in on for a minute or two to work something out like I might with a tube amp. It has four EQ knobs, which is convenient, as I use it mainly for guitar and this allows it to be dialed bright enough for that. And it gets loud! I rarely go above 1 on it for practice.

I bought it at Goodwill for 20 bucks with an unknown electrical issue that had rendered it nonfunctional and after a 5 dollar capacitor swapping session, it became one of my very favorite purchases. From my perspective, it's nice to have a guitar amp that I can also play bass through when I want but from your perspective, it might be nice to have bass amp that you can also dial in for guitar if you want.

I second the Fender Rumble line. I also have the Rumble 500 (with 1000 cab) for when I play out. The Rumble 200 should do the job. Cool

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

I have an Orange Crush 25 that I like. I used to use it for rehearsals in my first surf band.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

The Ampeg Micro SVT would be a wise choice. It falls outside of the practice amp realm but is still small.

It's gonna get you there volume wise and to be honest it sounds pretty good.

Oh dude... here is what I recommend.

Get a Fender Excelsior Pro. 15 watt tube amp. 15" speaker. If it is just for basement jamming it will kill at both bass and guitar. You will really like it, it's a lovely little amp. Personally, I have one and use it a lot with my Bass VI and my guitars. It's just the right power to sound good in a house but not make other occupants upset/annoyed.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:50:31

There's some pretty decent little amps on the DC craigslist for not much money.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Page 1 of 1